This perhaps how I'd rank TNG stuff after the main series concluded:

Star Trek: Generations - 5/10

Star Trek: First Contact - 9/10

Star Trek: Insurrection - 3/10

Star Trek: Nemesis - 4/10

Star Trek: Picard (Season 1) - 7/10

Star Trek: Picard (Season 2) - 5/10

Star Trek: Picard (Season 3) - 9/10

That's my attempt of a fair take on the TNG movies and Picard series; wild, unpredictable fluctuations in quality seems to be the general impression, from high highs to sudden low lows (with Season 2 of PIC not quite awful the same way the opening, highly experimental seasons of TNG and DSCO were, but still kinda aimless and ultimately bogged down by Patrick Stewart's melodrama that Generations was, etc).

Personally rather fond of Insurrection. In fact I rewatched it earlier today, it's a great ride. Here's my overall ranking of the TNG continuations.

Star Trek: Generations - 6.5
/10

Star Trek: First Contact - 10/10

Star Trek: Insurrection - 8/10

Star Trek: Nemesis - 5/10

Star Trek: Picard (Season 1) - 7/10

Star Trek: Picard (Season 2) - 3/10

Star Trek: Picard (Season 3) - 8/10

I enjoyed Picard on the whole, but Season 2 was a real mess.

does anyone else think S3 should've been a separate series in its own right?
If it was still the same in every other way but name, no.

All three seasons feel like they're by a different showrunner, but they're not that different in tone or subject. They're all pretty dark and violent, they're all about Picard working with a crew on a mission and dealing with his past, they all feature the Borg in a big way, and so on. Plus I'm sure season 3 spends more time in Guinan's bar than the season that actually features Guinan.

Maybe if it'd been a Star Trek: Titan miniseries the writers could've jettisoned some of Star Trek: Picard's edginess, but I'm not really seeing any other benefit to separating it from the rest of the series.

A one-season sequel series? I don't really see an improvement there.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it didn't really feel like it first with the other seasons of PIC to me. Instead it felt like a show built to represent the handing of the to a to a new crew

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it didn't really feel like it first with the other seasons of PIC to me. Instead it felt like a show built to represent the handing of the to a to a new crew

I don't really feel as though any of the three seasons fit together very smoothly with each other, though S2-S3 is probably more of a shift than S1-S2.

Back