Random Thoughts...or...What's on Your Mind?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here, no problems.

2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hadn’t seen any of these until today. I watched one and a half episodes of Another Life, but however intriguing the premise may be, I couldn’t get past the adolescent wank of it all. The crew of the ship behave like a gang of factory workers pissed about the new team leader when Mary should have got the job, not the select few hand picked to save Earth.

It’s unwatchable.

3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Go hang a salami" backwards is "I am a lasagna hog".

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

5. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

More of this please
    This is what we want

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  6. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

I logged into Facebook earlier and was greeted with a new friend request notification. At first I thought it was a relative because some of the older ones keep forgetting their password and make multiple accounts. Instead, it was someone from a fan forum that I haven't talked to in over, at least, a decade. (I use the word 'talked to' loosely.)

The situation has thrown me for six. I haven't been on that forum since 2008. At least, under my primary account. The last time that I used the secondary account was back in 2013.

Outside of the fan forum, they never made any real attempt to talk. Conversation was friendly there, and I built up a friendly reputation contributing art on the forum, but I never really made any real friends. It was strange because there was a close knit vibe.

At one point I think they were added to my Facebook friend list, but again, there was little to no interaction. That's why I moved on. Which makes me wonder 'why now?'

My current Facebook profile was made around nine years ago. I don't think they were on this account. They still remember my real name. A lot has happened since that time. A lot has changed. Why reach out again after this long?

7. Gary Mitchell

Maybe this person was feeling particularly lonely and friendless?

Obsidian7 likes this.
  8. Obsidian7

Maybe. They might be going through a hard time and felt nostalgic. For the most part, they seem like they've got a normal family. There's the typical social media activity that's associated with it.

I've always been open to making friends. Although, some people generally don't put in the same effort that I do. Once I left that forum I realised that it wasn't too healthy. Seemed like people were stuck and, for a while, I had been too.

So... I focused on what mattered most. At the time I was starting to get back into photography. I did that for a few years until I could no longer cope due to health. (I still dabble nowadays but not as much.) Since then, I've learned to distance myself from those 'lukewarm' people online and offline.

Guess that it was a surprise. There wasn't even a message attached. Not even an awkward hello, an explanation, or a 'how are you?' You'd think that would be a priority? :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Gary Mitchell likes this.
  9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I obviously don’t know if this is the case here, but some people just like to collect “friends” on social media, regardless of how tenuous the actual connection may be. It’s just about how large they can get that number.

Obsidian7 likes this.
  10. Obsidian7

Yeah. That's a factor. Seems odd to wait all that time to friend collect but it wouldn't surprise me. I've played both sides of the social media game - chasing up/supporting people and friend collecting. I've never understood the latter though. Then, there's the follow/unfollow trick. Also... Some people like to reconnect with childhood friends. Even those who bullied them in high school.

I don't want people to 'window watch' my social media. I like connecting with all kinds of people. Although I don't want to be in a one sided friendship either. Back then, there was an element of that.

The situation feels like my own personal Kobayashi Maru. :D

Avro Arrow likes this.
  11. Delta Geminorum

Delta Geminorum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If I am not mistaken, scientists are close to being able to read your mind with technology. Undoubtedly, they will then try to change it.

Worf factor9 likes this.
  12. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

nah, they are doing it since 1837 - nothing new about it

Worf factor9 likes this.
  13. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First beer commercial?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, they say that gladiators in ancient Rome did product ads...

"Hi, I'm Maximus XVI. At the end of a long day of slaughtering lions in the arena, I like nothing better than to kick back with a nice cold pint of Budweisicus Light. With the Emperor's seal of approval, you can't go wrong!" :beer:

Worf factor9 likes this.
  15. Gary Mitchell

Nobody hears a car alarm and thinks "Oh, someone is stealing a car". It's just an annoying sound that we want to stop or else we just want the car to be stolen faster.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

auntiehill and Gary Mitchell like this.
  17. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

the very first i heard was in italy right in front of a police station with some cops hanging in a window and complaining about the noise

18. Obsidian7

So... I caved in and accepted the FB friend request from the old fan forum member.

I sent a friendly, formal message explaining that I remembered their forum username (that's also displayed on their FB profile), and that it had been a long time since I'd visited the site. I ended by saying that it'd be good to connect (with you) having a shared interest in the fandom.

Then...

They DMed back with: 'So I did find the right *insert real name here!* What was your screen name back then?'

And now I feel kinda AWKWARD. :eek::shrug:

19. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I fucking hate Facebook, it caused me no end of grief a few years ago, myself and my girlfriend
    No longer have an active account

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  20. Gary Mitchell

I had Facebook for awhile but it mostly just depressed me so I shut it down. Several years later a friend wanted me to start it back up so I did. She sent me one funny picture and never seemed to want to interact on it after that. We had a misunderstanding and she defriended me so I shut it down again. So depressing.