Question about Relics

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by StarshipValiant, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whether he'd still be active has been discussed. But is he a legend? He wrote one manual LaForge recognizes. But nobody claims he would have done legendary things. Indeed, all we see in TOS is him keeping the ship going so that Kirk can do legendary things. Or have legendary things done to him.

Timo Saloniemi

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The way people in the 24th talk about Kirk & Spock, & even having Bones tour the ship? If we compare Kirk's notoriety to Robin Hood, then Spock is Little john, & Bones is Friar Tuck. In that analogy, Scotty is easily as notable as Will Scarlett, at the very least, imho. You don't just remember the guy. The guy was the guy because of the guy's crew
    I don't give Geordi a pass either. "You're in the way" is by and large a dick move, but everybody else is cordial enough to Scotty, & he is rather overbearing, & needy, for a pro. While Scotty isn't entirely to blame for the friction, I just never liked the direction they took him. Being a charity case, & feeling sorry for himself is not the way to remember that guy,

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it was, Scotty wouldn't have thought it was Kirk coming to save him from the Jenolen.

4. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

Who needs Troi when the Enterprise got Picard.

I thought Picard did a decent job of "counseling" Scotty when they were in the holodeck. The chat Picard had with Scotty probably was better than any therapy session that Troi might have had with Scotty.

And it was Picard's idea for Scotty to assist Geordi in salvaging material from the Jenolen. Make him feel useful. Picard knew what it would take to get Scotty out of his funk.

I didn't know there was that deleted scene. If the scene happened as you described, it wouldn't seem out of character for Scotty to react to Troi in that way. I don't think Scotty's personality would be conducive to a Troi touchy-feely kind of counseling session.

Scotty may have been a bit pushy, but he meant well. It didn't bother me how Scotty was portrayed.

Scotty is a colorful character. He was joshing when he told Geordi to exaggerate to the captain the time it would take to accomplish a task and actually finish it quicker in order to appear like a "miracle worker". Geordi should have just humored the old man. But Geordi didn't because he is a boring stiff.

Scotty's "I was driving starships while your great grandfather was still in diapers" remark was amusing.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I think there's plenty of blame for both parties in the Scotty-Geordi interactions.

I mean, do we really think Scotty would have handled it any better if he'd been on the receiving end? I don't especially recall him doing so during the run of the series.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That may well be true of any Constitution Class crewman, who didn't really have ongoing mental therapy always butting in, but I'm still glad they cut it. It just would've been too much "Scotty is the problem"