Props Re-used

Status
Not open for further replies.
One item you'll instantly recognize is a small tabletop bell (and an accompanying striker/mallet) used in court martial proceedings. It is used by the officer presiding over the court to call the court to order—usually with a series of three or four double taps to the bell: ("Ding-ding! Ding-ding! Ding-ding!")

How many times did we see this prop? Well, only four times actually.

It first shows up in the episode "Court Martial." The script for "Court Martial" describes a bit what the Courtroom set is supposed to look like:

"...wherever possible the overtone of the room
should be strictly naval... highlighting this effect is the
ancient naval ship's BELL that Stone will ring to call the
court to order."

1502563846_f37989d75c.jpg

It’s used again in "The Menagerie, Part 1:"

1502563988_1b025573b3.jpg

And, of course, in "The Menagerie, Part 2:"

1502564132_0a13ce17d8.jpg

And the last time it's used is in "Space Seed:"

1501708271_e0627a9aa4.jpg

(It's not used at the competency hearing for Kirk in "The Deadly Years," and it’s not used at the mutiny trial of Mister Spock in "Turnabout Intruder.")

So, what is this bell, actually? Well, interestingly, it's not an "ancient naval ship's bell." It's a particular style of bell manufactured by the Russell-Hampton Company and used by Rotary Club chapters to call their Interact meetings to order. I guess it looks "naval" enough and certainly has the advantage of beng designed to sit on a tabletop. (A real ship's bell probably would have been mounted on something; things on tabletops on ships tend to slide off in choppy seas.) At any rate, here's a shot of a current one:

2675469050_7fbd1e2d0b.jpg

Nowadays, the Rotary Club puts the Rotary Club symbol on the top of the bell. But older bells (like from the 1960s during Star Trek’s production) didn’t have the symbol; it was just the bell.

You can get a current bell (with the symbol on the top) at Russell-Hampton’s website:

http://www.ruh.com/Rotary/prodinfo.asp?number=R89910

For older bells without the symbol on the top, you’ll have to hunt through antique shops or on ebay (or buy a new one and then get a hacksaw). ;)

At any rate, here is my old-style, vintage Russell-Hampton Rotary Interact Club bell and an accompanying wooden striker/mallet:

2673572343_1cb14741ba.jpg

2673572403_7875649e97.jpg

2673572489_bf6abc51e5.jpg

(I checked using my little electronic guitar tuner: the bell rings at just about a perfect E flat when struck.)

Slideshow is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/...298726829/show/

Greg Schnitzer
Property Master
Star Trek Phase II

When I was in high school, our chapter of Key Club always opened our meetings with a bell just like that. Too bad I never had a Kirk dress uniform tunic to wear.....

Those folks must be really young and inexperienced. Star Trek is not unique in this. I see the same props appear in different science fiction series. I'm specifically thinking of that machine that sort of looks like a lathe except it has three bright red tubes running across it. It gets rented again and again for different sci-fi movies.

I've wondered at times if ANY sci-fi prop has made more onscreen appearances in different projects than that one!

That does ineed appear to be the "Humanoid Bird" costume from "The Cage."

We've seen that Trelane has the Salt Vampire costume:

3272473440_57a44e3c7a.jpg

...and the Humanoid Bird costume:

3271652367_b9ffe046a2.jpg

...and if you look to the right of the Humanoid Bird, you'll see the head part of the costume worn by the small, weird pink space dog from "The Enemy Within"--the one that got split into a Good Dog and an Evil Dog.

Here's the (not very good) shot of the costume from "The Cage:"

3271652417_93b5b2616f.jpg

The "Humanoid Bird" from the cage consisted of the long beak and facial appliances of the Megasoid from the Outer Limits episode "The Duplicate Man:"

3271652489_d70a043ce8.jpg

and the feathered head wig-thing from the Empyrian from the Outer Limits episode "Second Chance:"

3271652527_03b9ca3ec1.jpg

(It looks like the costume shown in "The Squire of Gothos" doesn't include the facial appliances from "The Duplicate Man.")

Greg Schnitzer
Star Trek Phase II

Last edited:
The "Humanoid Bird" from the cage consisted of the long beak and facial appliances of the Megasoid from the Outer Limits episode "The Duplicate Man:"

3271652489_d70a043ce8.jpg

and the feathered head wig-thing from the Empyrian from the Outer Limits episode "Second Chance:"

3271652527_03b9ca3ec1.jpg
Looks to me like the former has the same face as the latter, just with the beak instead of the nose and mouth, but with the latter's feathers. The brows and the wrinkles around the eyes look the same.

The “bird” costume in Trelane’s alcove is composed of the pieces of the bird costume and make-up appliances used in "The Cage." As Greg mentioned, the original costume and appliances were made for the Outer Limits. They first appeared in the episode "Second Chance" and were worn by Simon Oakland playing the Empyrian. In fact, the original Empyrian was designed by Wah Chang. Unfortunately when Project Unlimited, the costume and prop shop used by Daystar Productions, fabricated the pieces for the costume, they included an enormous beak (shown in the photo of the Megasoid). However, when make-up artist Fred Phillips was fitting the beak appliance to Simon Oakland’s face, he felt the beak – being so large – would cause the viewers to not see a face at all. So, he removed it and replaced it with a nose. Later, the beak was re-used with much of the costume and appliances for the Megasoid

When the costume and appliances were used with "The Cage," a smaller beak was used on the face of the actor.

BTW, for a terrific read on the behind-the-scenes elements of The Outer Limits, check out David Schow's book "The Outer Limits Companion." It really showcases the connections between that show and Star Trek.

Wow! I love this trivia stuff! Most interesting.

In The Squire of Gothos, besides the head of the space-spaniel on the wall, there is another "head-trophy" on a column that's part of the entranceway. I don't know what that is though...

And here's a publicity photo showing Jeffery Hunter with Janos Prohaska in the "Humanoid Bird" costume:

3274710454_0c299571b6.jpg

Greg Schnitzer
Star Trek Phase II

My sleep number is Talos 4...

CageBed.jpg

COTK.jpg

Different fabric color, same bed. BTW, do any of the other props and costumes in this CotK scene look familiar?

Last edited:
My sleep number is Talos 4...

CageBed.jpg

COTK.jpg

Different fabric color, same bed. BTW, do any of the other props and costumes in this CotK scene look familiar?

Could one of the swords on the shelf be the same one that Sulu uses in The Naked Time?

Certainly, at least, we see Anton Karidian's costume again.

2541685764_d52c4563c0.jpg

In "Whom Gods Destroy," Garth of Izar wore the "smoking jacket" that Anton Karidian wore in "The Conscience of the King." It's a light green/dark green sort of paisley pattern with fur at the cuffs. Garth always wore one arm in the sleeve but the other side was simply draped over his shoulder like a cape. It made him look a bit "off balance." For Garth, the inside of this coat/cape/frock thing was lined with gold lame.

We can't see if the lame was present when Karidian wore it. Here's Karidian:

2540864687_e1b26bf469.jpg

Garth wore this cape/coat/frock thing over the jacket that was worn by Commisioner Ferris in "The Galileo Seven." Ferris also wore some kind of cravate around his neck that Garth didn't wear; Garth just had an open collar.

2540864755_f51dfa9725.jpg

Ferris' coat also crops up in "Journey to Babel:"

2541686114_f1d37bf685.jpg

And, of course, Garth had boots of two mismatched colors (his left boot was gold and his right boot was metallic blue)--to reinforce the "off balance" look. Here he is in all his off-kilter, "How Not to Dress" splendor: left arm in the sleeve, right side worn like a cape and mismatched boots:

2541962715_485afa17ed.jpg

Greg Schnitzer
Star Trek Phase II

Jeez, I never noticed the coat being recycled. You think I would have. :rolleyes:

Greg, that last picture will be the bonus picture in the next caption contest. You make my job all too easy.

Certainly, at least, we see Anton Karidian's costume again.

And, of course, Garth had boots of two mismatched colors (his left boot was gold and his right boot was metallic blue)--to reinforce the "off balance" look. Here he is in all his off-kilter, "How Not to Dress" splendor: left arm in the sleeve, right side worn like a cape and mismatched boots:

2541962715_485afa17ed.jpg

Greg Schnitzer
Star Trek Phase II

Yes. But I think the selection of this costume was an attempt at ironic simile, that is, to visually suggest that Garth was a Court Jester and not a "King." For example, his dress - with the different colored boots, belt, fur cuffs, crown (albeit smaller), etc. - make him reminescent of the Jokers found in many playing card decks. See this link for an example:

http://www.gamesandprint.co.uk/cardbig.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back