Prologic9 attempts to model the original Enterprise before A.I. replaces him.

Hi Professor, /waves!

Well, one nice thing I've found is that a decade of hardware/software improvements means I can much more easily use volumetrics and an overall more simulative approach to the bussards. Before I had to spend most of the time figuring out how to 'fake' everything so it wouldn't take hours to render.
X5Ml9xD.jpg

sFnLiZp.jpg

N6aBf61.jpg

Here's what I'd call my 1st draft of the top saucer. It took a long time to get here, and I'm going to move on for now while I finish the rest of the ship. (I'm going to treat the bit between the red stripes as part of the decal, and I won't do the decals until last).
MIJPRsY.jpg

And here's a small sample of top saucer WIP. Just working on the textures, trying different things, etc.
IAT9wfS.jpg

oRulP2s.jpg

UvvNwIn.jpg

mj5UQ8s.jpg

Y3d8LDp.jpg

VndQerB.jpg

Prologic, as always, your meshes are 10 stars!
What happened to your old Excelsior wip? It was left for behind, or you will come back to her in the futrure too?

Hi Professor, /waves!

Well, one nice thing I've found is that a decade of hardware/software improvements means I can much more easily use volumetrics and an overall more simulative approach to the bussards. Before I had to spend most of the time figuring out how to 'fake' everything so it wouldn't take hours to render.
X5Ml9xD.jpg

sFnLiZp.jpg

N6aBf61.jpg

Here's what I'd call my 1st draft of the top saucer. It took a long time to get here, and I'm going to move on for now while I finish the rest of the ship. (I'm going to treat the bit between the red stripes as part of the decal, and I won't do the decals until last).
MIJPRsY.jpg

And here's a small sample of top saucer WIP. Just working on the textures, trying different things, etc.
IAT9wfS.jpg

oRulP2s.jpg

UvvNwIn.jpg

mj5UQ8s.jpg

Y3d8LDp.jpg

VndQerB.jpg

I'm fascinated by your approach to the windows – are those tiny light objects shining on bounce cards visible through the window cutouts?

I'm fascinated by your approach to the windows – are those tiny light objects shining on bounce cards visible through the window cutouts?
Curious about that as well.

That one image with them shining on the hull reminded me of the light leak issues I had with the TMP Enterprise back in the day...

Prologic, as always, your meshes are 10 stars!
What happened to your old Excelsior wip? It was left for behind, or you will come back to her in the futrure too?
Sorry, I don't really even have any of those old models anymore.

I make the lighting map for the 'interiors' by removing the windows, turning the environment to pure white and then baking the light that comes through the window holes. It's a super simple way to fake the look of the subsurface scattering in all those oldschool model windows. (I do have the windows fully modeled and shaded in all these renders as well, but this is the first time I've done that)

I’m still waiting for some contact lens size/shaped smart screen that could go on a physical model. Your work could be a “skin” for that.

Back