Prologic9 attempts to model the original Enterprise before A.I. replaces him.

Prologic9

Lieutenant Commander
Red Shirt
Happy New Years everyone. I'm making some resolutions, one of them is to get some creative work done that I've been procrastinating on for too long and to make an effort to put my work 'out there' again.

I got my Round2 1/350th model kit on Nov.3 2012, and I've been "intending" to do this ever since. And then the Smithsonian restoration happened around 2017 and I've been "super duper intending" to do this ever since.

I haven't really went all out on a 3d model in years, so long that all the boards I used to be on are gone...

Oh well, picture dump;

3oGUSwO.jpg

Just starting out. This is a model of 'the model,' not a starship.

aP4kDx5.jpg

X3cwbpu.jpg

xDpfwPa.jpg

y71vbL2.jpg

8aD2Cfn.jpg

Gyl2UBq.jpg

iv4sGIP.jpg

kM3hqaA.jpg

I've come to hate working on the TOS bussard effect. It's always challenging because it was an in-camera effect. Replicating older composited VFX is easy, but a little transparent ball with light rays just bouncing around infinity is not.

xF2xITW.jpg

EGTydlV.jpg

A user named Professor Moriarty built a version years ago that did a great job of replicating one of the effects various looks. He had a simple radial pattern on the outside that does a great job of keeping you visually aware of the outer surface. I spent a while experimenting with this, and eventually ended up with a fully segmented version that I quite like but is too far removed from the actual model for me to use right now.

HNXp4jJ.jpg

f48jo3z.jpg

This is the current version I intend to use.

gY22rzc.jpg

The physical modeling was/is quick and painless with so much reference available, but textures and materials are where I intend to push myself here. I spent the last week hand painting every panel on the top of the saucer, this is just to have a good foundation to lay the heavy weathering down on. It'll be a process.

6tgtZwH.jpg

KrFnf1d.jpg

I rebuilt the impulse shape a few times. The model kit I think is actually too wonky, but there is a unique shape to the outer profile curve that if you don't get right, wont match up to the saucer properly when you extrude it. It's really satisfying when you see all the geometries come together the right way. At this point I can look at my last model (built in '09) and see all sorts of shape problems.

9fdWCvL.jpg

AaJSgyr.jpg

The grid lines can be hard to judge. The top picture has 8mm grid lines, the bottom is 3mm. Almost 1/3 the thickness but I wouldn't think that looking at it.

The 3mm is a more subtle effect I think and works better with the other detailing you've got going on. This is outstanding so far!

Agree that your Enterprise is amazing :techman: and with 3mm being better but I'm not sure what version of the Enterprise you're going for. Given the super detailing, the last restored NASM version?

Thanks everyone. I'm absolutely using the current NASM restoration as "canon®." I think they got about as close to the truth as will ever be possible given the realities of space and time.

One notable exception is that they left all the seams exposed for the major structures. During filming these were puddied over and blended together. I presume they did this for the purposes of both general maintenance and future preservation, and they did a great job because I'm sure those 60 year old uncovered seams were not nearly as pretty and clean as they are now.

I liked the look of it enough that I'm including the seams in my model, although I might do a mix of both.

Thanks everyone. I'm absolutely using the current NASM restoration as "canon®." I think they got about as close to the truth as will ever be possible given the realities of space and time.

One notable exception is that they left all the seams exposed for the major structures. During filming these were puddied over and blended together. I presume they did this for the purposes of both general maintenance and future preservation, and they did a great job because I'm sure those 60 year old uncovered seams were not nearly as pretty and clean as they are now.

I liked the look of it enough that I'm including the seams in my model, although I might do a mix of both.

Cool. Just an fyi that the NASM restoration changed the engineering hull copper rings from the model as it was when it aired and the nuts on the nacelle domes are different. Should be interesting to see how you interpret the Enterprise :)

And my next statement will sound insane. I know you are not done yet, but I thought I should point out something that I don't see many people observing or duplicating.

There are two red lines that run up from the tip of the impulse engine round section and continue under the tear-shaped B/C deck. You have that well in hand.

But ...

Between the two red lines is flat gray. No hull markings. I know it sounds odd, but it is something I see on very few models.

It was detailed here by Gary Kerr and Petri Blomqvist:
https://culttvman.com/main/a-modelers-guide-to-painting-the-starship-enterprise-by-gary-kerr/

Last edited:
Hey, welcome back old beam! It´s good to hear news from you again and know that you´re still alive and kicking!
Yeah... F3D has gone many years ago, and looks like Bob will really leave it in the past.
About the old foruns, I think that TREKBBS, SCIFI-MESHES and TREKMESHES are the living dinossaurs these days. :cool:

Last edited:
Wow... I did not expect detailed analysis about the bottom of the deflector rings. Excellent.

It's a bit noisy so not everyone may have seen that I did paint a bump map for this area to give is some visible brush strokes/wear.
93c7Xaf.png

I noticed it was gold in the Vault footage as well, but you can also see it plainly in SD on the show;
gFDCWRa.jpg

Now, I'm not sure yet which version I'll use. But I will say I think it's entirely possible NASM got it right.

Most of the Vault footage is from fairly early on in the show, but we know NASM specifically matched to the condition of the model in the S2 Tribbles episode.

I think it's probable the model was spruced up for this shoot. I think it's very probable they then photographed the model for their records. I'd like to think the NASM has those photos, but that is pure speculation.

I'd like to think they matched to S2 Tribbles because that's what they had the most clear photo reference for, but the thought process may have been to try and match to the latest known condition during the show.

---

I'll also add, we know they painted the actual part because currently it has a big hole in it. BUT if I was working on the show (either the actual show or the restoration) and someone told me that area needed to be painted, I would have immediate grabbed some plastic stock cut to shape and use that to line the interior. Rofl then they could even... hold on I'm gonna start an etsy selling 3d printed 1:350 Smithsonian Deflector Linings.

Last edited:
If I knew that I forgot it. It will now be the most important detail of my next Enterprise.
Here is a guide by Gary Kerr and Petri Blomqvist that details that area. Click on the image to get a larger view.

https://culttvman.com/main/a-modelers-guide-to-painting-the-starship-enterprise-by-gary-kerr/

But, for an actual image of what I'm talking about, go to this webpage:

https://culttvman.com/main/gary-kerrs-enterprise-photos-1991/

And about half way down the page is a shot of the rear section of the dome of the old USS Enterprise 11 foot filming model. Yeah, it's an OLD picture, but all the better. If you click on it and expand it, you can SEE the grey between the two red lines.

Back