Production Order Group Viewing 2018

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Archivist13, May 8, 2018.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The screeching birds were back in Once Upon A Planet, the sequel to Shore Leave! although they were described as Pterosaurs and were not vegetable in any way!
    JB

2. Henoch

Henoch Commodore Premium Member

Kirk ordered Scott to go to the engineering core (M/AM reactor in the hull?) to prepare to blow up the ship. Since the alien was in the computer, the computer assisted self-destruct may be unreliable, so, Scott would need to manually arrange for the ship to blow up. In addition, the ship's life support system was on the blink next due to the alien infiltration, so, crews go to life-support belts including Scott. (I hope the ship has one belt for everyone.) Things seem to move fast, but we only have a half hour so the story needs to move fast. Scott obviously opens the core hatch and climbs into it to manually set the control valves and relays that could blow the ship. During his efforts, the alien figures out the plan and tries to stop Scott by dropping the hatch on him as he started to climb down into the core, then engaging the magnetic locking feature for the hatch. (Sounds like good tech to use with M/AM fuels to keep the stuff away from the walls of the core.) Anyway, it was fortunate that Scott put his life-support belt on to do the work or he would have squashed in half. :techman:

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing is, most of their more intense situations started out as fairly mundane missions. The Naked Time was merely checking up on an outpost which yet required Spock's deeply analytic and scientific thinking to resolve. Or maybe Thelin just kept a tighter watch on Tormolen's activities? ;)

Yep, I really should have watched that scene again as a quick scan of the transcript makes it clear that's what was happening :whistle:
    I find it a little disturbing that there's a SELF DESTRUCT DEVICE down in the bottom of the ship though - or was Kirk being overly poetic about simply shutting down the antimatter containment fields, similar to what he proposed in Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

Henoch likes this.
  4. Henoch

I think the Scott plan was more like the sabotage by Lorisa but with a twist: first, disengage the warp engines, then turn off the emergency by-pass control valve and run the reactor to its max. With no Scotty to pinch off the antimatter fuel flow with a magnetic probe, BOOM. They blow up like small sun.

5. Mytran

THE SURVIVOR

The first TAS bottle show and we get to see lots new areas of the ship (which is why I am so fond of bottle shows). None of those are especially remarkable but I welcome the expansion to the lore:
    • Kirk seems to have moved into much more spacious quarters since the live-action series
    • McCoy has also received a medical lab upgrade!
    • The Engine Room (assuming its not a new area) has a big tube through the middle of the room now. Getting close to that TMP setup all the time...
    • Lt M’Ress gets a name drop and even some lines!
    This episode begins with the Enterprise patrolling the Romulan Neutral Zone? Is that a long term assignment? What happened to the outposts?
    Sulu makes reference to a treaty that allows the Romulans (and only the Romulans) to confiscate any ship that enters the zone. Is this a new treaty? Has the RNZ changed in some way, requiring a renegotiation of the old treaty? It would explain the absence of outposts and new rules if the Romulans have expanded their territory since Balance Of Terror.
    Also, the use of “lures” and enlisting the aid of Vendorians is also forbidden. That is one detailed and specific piece of diplomacy!

So, Anne Norad is the long lost fiancé of the guest star, thought long lost in space for 5 years? And then he turns out to be a copy of the original man? That’s what little boys are apparently made of! Still, at least it's not Chapel swooning over the guest star this time.

Carter Winston has a nice looking ship, even though it's only on screen for a few seconds. His true form is also very creative, making excellent use of the animated format.

Spock’s speculation about how Winston could rearrange his atoms (physical matter) into a deflector shield (composed of energy) sounds absurd on the surface.
    However, if he is anything like the founders from DS9 then his “true” form may be a type of energy (revealed to Kira in one episode). In any case, he appears to revert to an energy based form when performing his transformations.
    These shapeshifters are tricky customers!

The climax of this episode takes the time to provide some interesting insight into what it means to be a shapeshifter, how that impacts the identity of self and how love can transcend death. Also, how outer appearance is not important
    Good, thought provoking stuff! :techman:

OTHER THOUGHTS:
    • Winston Carter is a philanthropist, using his MONEY to help others. People often forget that currency based economics were still alive and well in the TOS era
    • McCoy has a daughter? D.C. Fontana’s presence as showrunner is strongly felt ;)
    • The request for identity tapes when Carter comes on board (while unusual) is not a complete unknown in TOS; Charles Evans came aboard with his dossier on some data cards.
    • Kirk claims he’s never fallen asleep whilst working before – maybe so, but he took plenty of naps and even dozed off at his desk in Season 3! :devil:
    • Spock calls up the visual log of the Bridge to prove a point to Kirk. While it is a nice call back to Court Martial, I have to wonder how often this feature is used to settle arguments?
    • Kirk is suddenly more observant than Spock, when he notices the extra bed in Sickbay. Of course, given how often they would wheel an extra bed into the sickbay ward his logic isn’t exactly flawless, but it works!
    • I see the Romulans are still using “Klingon designs” for their starships...
    • McCoy thinks a second Spock might be too much – a situation he actually witnessed a few weeks ago!
    • Spock’s final remark to McCoy is full of just the right amount of snark and wit (considering what McCoy just said)

6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Commodore Commodore

I guess they forgot about "The Deadly Years" when Kirk was asleep on the bridge? They weren't memorizing the TOS reruns like we were.

7. Henoch

The TAS Engine Room might be a re-imagining of the Season 1 TOS Engine Room. This might suggest it is the same room but with a little updating. I also note that there is no light or "flow" of energy inside the clear vertical tube, and it is marked like a hypodermic further suggesting something like a fluid level or float inside. There are now six sets of tubes and light panels behind the grill. Hmm.
    [​IMG]
    Now I wonder what happened to the Season 2-3 Engine Room? :shrug:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Phaser Two and ZapBrannigan like this.
  8. Henoch

Adding this engineering area to the above engine room pics, the lighted floor squares on the left might be directly over the square lights in the tube cathedral, putting the engineering core running vertical next to the tube cathedral. Also, there's a right angle tube in the left foreground which might connect with the vertical glass tube in the TAS engine room. Just playing connect the dots. Hmm.
    [​IMG]

9. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Survivor

:eek: McCoy has a daughter!

Nurse Chapel makes an appearance! Nice to see you, Christine.

Winston turns into an angry squid and takes out Kirk, then takes his identity! Why that shifty, identity-stealing alien!

The crew is supposed to believe entering the Romulan Neutral Zone is safe because a civilian didn't detect any hostile ships a week ago???? That's the best justification Winston-squid could come up with? And the crew buys it????

Who is this Lt. M'Ress Kirk addresses? And who's that orange guy at the helm who never gets a line?

Looking for an alien who can look like any crewman reminds of the salt vampire.

McCoy-squid: "Yes, but, my dear, if he doesn't want you and he has asked you to forget him, then I suggest you take that as an honest concern for you and do it. Forget Winston. " Whoa, dude, that advice is way harsh.

In the scene where Kirk and Spock go to talk to McCoy, McCoy has full Commander's stripes. Congratulations to McCoy on his promotion.

Lt. McGivers betrays the ship for Khan. Lt. Palamas all but betrays the ship for Apollo until Kirk snaps her out of it. I'll say this for Lt. Nored, she didn't betray the ship. But TWICE she could have stunned Winston-squid and failed to do so because she loved Winston. TOS/TAS female crew members are presented as pretty weak and incompetent at their jobs once they've fallen in love. But then, so is Scotty. ;)

Romulans! Oh, I love TOS-era Romulans. Always good to see them. They are still rocking the Klingon designed ships, although now that we don't have to worry about using models, I'd like to have seen them in Birds of Prey.

I like the Romulan commander busting on Kirk for entering the Neutral Zone AGAIN.

ROMULAN [on viewscreen]: You appear to have a propensity for trespassing in the Neutral Zone, Captain Kirk.
    KIRK: It was not deliberate, I assure you.
    ROMULAN [on viewscreen]: It never is.

Haha. Kirk's in the Neutral Zone again, must be Tuesday.

Oh, hello, Lt. M'Ress. She is a catperson and she works at Communications. No Uhura this episode because Nichelle is being Lt. Nored.

This Venn-Diagramian...er...Vendorian has his own neck pinch.

Have we ever seen the Enterprise fire photon torpedoes and phasers at the same time before? I think not. The magic of animation, no extra special effects costs.

Aw, Nored and Winston-squid are going to hook up. Interspecies love. :adore:

Spock: "Perhaps. But then two Doctor McCoys just might bring the level of medical efficiency on this ship up to acceptable levels." Haha. Great burn, Spock! Fun to see Spock and McCoy bickering without animosity.

The Enterprise has certainly been adding alien crewmembers. M'Ress, the orange guy at the helm who never gets a line, the yellow winged bird guy. Members of various Federation planets are graduating Starflee Academy and joining starships in greater numbers now.

In Elaan of Troyius, one volley of photon torpedos renders a Klingon warship helpless. Here, one volley of phasers and photon torpedoes renders a Klingon-style ship helpless. Definitely gives the impression that the Enterprise is more powerful than this class of Klingon warship.

I liked this episode. Good mix of action, mystery, and character interactions. Good to hear from Ted Knight again. Thumbs up.

Alien Watch! Let me draw a Venn diagram.

Season One
    The Glommer
    Arex*
    Retlaw Plant
    Agmar and his Phylosian posse
    Swoopers
    Yellow winged bird guy (Aleek)
    Spock's teddy bear with fangs (sehlat)
    Green cat thing that sounds like Godzilla (le-matya)
    300 million year old alien on viewscreen log
    Green energy Redjac wannabe
    The Vendorian
    Lt. M'Ress

*by request

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Phaser Two, Pauln6 and Henoch like this.
  10. johnnybear

Ted Knight was a regular on their Fantastic Voyage show a few years earlier too!
    JB

11. Poltargyst

Actually, now that I think of it, Nored's hesitation to kill the Vendorian because he looked like Winston is reminiscent of McCoy not wanting to shoot the salt vampire when it looked like Nancy.

12. Mytran

Very true - from what we've seen of TAS so far there's probably as much recycling of plot elements in these first few episodes as there were in Season 3, which I remember complaining about on more than one occasion!
    Yesteryear is the exception so far and I seem to remember some later stories had some more original content, but we shall see... :biggrin:

Phaser Two likes this.
  13. Henoch

Winston's shuttle looks cool. Kirk should keep it. :whistle:
    Winston's shuttle is still in the Enterprise hangar two episodes later in Mudd's Passion.

johnnybear likes this.
  14. johnnybear

It was indeed!
    JB

15. Mytran

Taking advantage of a short break in the festive season to post this, but unless anyone else has a burning need to keep up the weekly schedule in this thread, can I suggest that this be it until January? :biggrin:

THE LORELEI SIGNAL

This week we're back to following up on old mysterious happenings I see. Good, honest starship work! :techman:

Then...Kirk makes a curious command decision and plays the unknown alien signal on EVERY speaker on the ship? That just seems unnecessary.
    Apparently the signal kept blasting out through the speakers all the way to the planet! Once the effects of the signal are known to Uhura (and confirmed with Chapel) why doesn’t she just switch the speakers off? Kirk would probably object but could he really stop her? Then again, maybe she did; it is later established that the signal CAN’T be blocked from the ship, even with deflectors on full.
    I suspect malware. ;)

The main plot concerns what are effectively space-vampires - a fairly original plot in most respects! :techman:
    The landing party act like reckless fools of course (drinking the drugged wine etc) but at least this time there’s a justified reason for doing so (unlike the decision made which got them hypnotised in the first place). And then yet again, Spock’s incredible Vulcan physique saves the day. I suppose Uhura might eventually have led a team down onto the planet, but by then it would have been far too late.
    The story is exceptionally dense with content and 19 minutes in Theela gives a massive info dump (I guess all anyone had to do was ask her)
    Also, it seemingly never occurred to Theela to ask the Opto-aud where the Enterprise men were before Uhura suggests it. Is Theela really the best leader they have? Then again she’s hardly revelling in her immortality either so her heart may simply not in it any more. :weep:
    Uhura takes command!!! About time, but is this really what it takes before a woman gets such an opportunity? Regardless, she fulfils her duty well, up until the end where her final negotiated solution with Theela is to hand her a phaser and trust her to destroy the signal transmitter. Um…OK. Nice gesture, but just as reckless as Kirk's initial action which got them into this mess! :brickwall:
    And what is the women’s punishment for entrapping and killing shiploads of men for decades if not centuries? Freedom to lives out their lives on a new planet, with chances of hope, new learning and perhaps love.
    Does that seem right? :shrug:
    The whole situation (trapping men for breeding stock) reminds me of Wink Of An Eye except at the end of that story the Scalosians were abandoned to face well deserved extinction.
    Or, is this “other planet” that Uhura spoke of actually a prison colony? :devil:

OTHER THOUGHTS:
    • Yellow alert has a really loud siren!
    • Theela has a song-activated viewscreen. Must be an Alexa upgrade :D
    • Scotty’s song and the slowest flyby of the ship ever takes 36 SECONDS!!!
      Episode running a little short, was it? :mad:
    • The ship sets off for Loreli at Warp 7 which is 20 light years away. How long did it take to get there?
    • A redshirt called Carver joins the landing party…AND DOES NOT DIE. I applaud this subversion of our expectations and welcome back the return to larger landing parties. :techman:
    • In order to avoid the pursuing women, the landing party climbs into an enormous urn. Is this really the BEST place to hide?
      And how did the rapidly deteriorating landing party climb into that thing?
    • Spock has a wonderful singing voice which he uses to activate the Opto-aud.
    • It is revealed that Spock has a telepathic link with Chapel. Maybe this is a result of them sharing consciousnesses in Return To Tomorrow? At least Chapel no longer seems romantically hung up on Spock, that would be pretty lazy writing!
    • In the landing party, even Nurse Chapel is armed with a phaser...I guess if you can’t cure ‘em, kill ‘em! :devil:
    • In Sickbay there are now FOUR beds crammed up against each other so that each member of the landing party can be in the same panning shot.

The rapid ageing thing is obviously reminiscent of a similar situation in The Deadly Years. However, instead of breaking out the adrenaline cure from that episode (which de-aged Kirk nicely) or exploring a new miracle cure from Chapel, Doctor M’Benga or Dr Sancez, an extremely risky Transporter manoeuvre is used to restore them. But just how many decades have they aged exactly? Can’t be more than one or two, the equivalent number of days they’ve been on the planet. And yet Kirk would rather face fatal odds of 99.7 to 1 than live on as an old man of what...50?
    Even more interesting that McCoy and others go along with it too!
    This opens up a whole can of worms about the power of the machine and effectively means that any dead crew can be beamed up and repatterned into an earlier, living version of themselves. Yes it’s risky but if you’re already dead, so what? And once they’ve worked the kinks out of the process this should be a standard procedure!
    Finally, Kirk also seems to retain a memory of the whole affair which is odd if the Transporter “re-patterned” him back to an earlier version. If a person can be restored to their youthful self with all their former memories intact then they have casually discovered immortality.

This casually egregious use of existing Treknology is just the sort of simplified Trek that everyone was worried about when the series made the move to a Saturday morning cartoon. :thumbdown:

ZapBrannigan and Henoch like this.
  16. Henoch

Obviously, you haven't looked ahead two episodes. :vulcan:

Based on the Stardates, only 0.1 Stardate has passed which if one assumes 1000 Stardates is one solar year, then about 2.7 hours. To make 20 light years in that time, the ship's Warp 7 speed was 7.4 lys/hour or about 65,000c! Those guys really wanted to get to that planet of pretty women in a hurry. Men showing off in their hot rods. :techman:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  17. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Didn't they use this solution in a TNG episode too?

18. Poltargyst

The Lorelei Signal

Who's that orange guy at the helm who never gets a line?

Last week I noted how the women of the crew are often presented as weak in TOS and TAS. Here's the antidote for that: an episode where the women save the day! Nice to see Uhura and Chapel working together, actually getting to do technical things to solve the problem. A Star Trek first! About time the women did something useful around here. ;)

Uhura takes command! Bad ass! Senior Lieutenant, huh? Is she the highest ranking woman on the ship? I guess so. Never really thought about it before.

Nichelle and Majel doing double voice duty this episode. They are the only female actors, so we only get to hear Uhura and Christine from the female crew members, and only two of the Taureans.

These guys should be used to premature aging now.

Seems dangerous to me for the men for Uhura to just blast the urn they were in.

The Naked Time...
    KIRK: We can balance our engines into a controlled implosion.
    SCOTT: If you wanted to chance odds of ten thousand to one, maybe, assuming we had a row of computers working weeks on the right formula.

Errand of Mercy...
    KIRK: Mister Spock, can we get those two guards? What would you say the odds on our getting out of here?
    SPOCK: Difficult to be precise, Captain. I should say approximately 7,824.7 to 1.

The Lorelei Signal...
    KIRK: Spock. Can the transporter be programmed to re-pattern us as we were?
    SPOCK: Possibly. But the odds against us are ninety nine point seven to one.

99.7 to 1 odds? Pffffft. Piece of cake. Those are way better odds than usual.

I don't know about this business of using the transporter to restore people. You have to be careful in writing not to make the good guys too powerful. It's a plot wrecker. From now on, any time anyone is disfigured, dismembered, sick, we're going to expect them to be run through the transporter and restored. Can it bring people back to life? Run a corpse through the transporter and restore them? People all over the Federation become effectively immortal? That's quite a breakthrough.

I always preferred the idea that the transporter does not actually disassemble anyone but instead is more of a stargate, transporting people whole. That would eliminate some of the transporter shenanigans they will get up to in later Star Treks.

Uhura: "You're more handsome than ever." Whoa! That's pretty forward. Has Uhura's and Kirk's relationship progressed since TOS?

Nice to see the ladies getting to shine for once. Good on Uhura and Chapel for saving the day.

I would have liked to have seen Uhura sitting in the command chair, though.

There were times in TOS where they teased Uhura might be in command, but we didn't get to see it. Now we've seen it.

Now this is a Star Trek story. They solve the problem and help the Taureans and end up friends. Unlike in the tribble episodes where we beam the tribbles over to the Klingons to be slaughtered or in Wink of an Eye where we leave the Scalosians to die. Gotta love a happy Star Trek ending.

Still...are the Taureans, like the Kelvins, going to get off easily? How many men did the Taureans kill over 150 years?

Good story, good to see Uhura and Chapel shine.

Alien Watch! Foxy ladies.

Season One
    The Glommer
    Arex*
    Retlaw Plant
    Agmar and his Phylosian posse
    Swoopers
    Yellow winged bird guy (Aleek)
    Spock's teddy bear with fangs (sehlat)
    Green cat thing that sounds like Godzilla (le-matya)
    300 million year old alien on viewscreen log
    Green energy Redjac wannabe
    The Vendorian
    Lt. M'Ress
    Remarkably human-looking Taureans.

*by request
    The magic of animation. Surprising how few "remarkably human-looking" aliens we've had so far.

19. Poltargyst

Okay. So we're not doing one next week (the week of December 29th), but resume the week of January 5th?

This does open up some interesting religious/philosophical questions. Assuming we have souls, if someone dies and you restore them with the transporter, do they have a soul? Does the soul come back from the afterlife to reinhabit the body? Do they become soulless zombies?

20. Mytran

Oh believe me, I know what's in store. I just like to review these episodes based on a "first watch" mindset...more or less

Yep! Unnatural Selection from season 2. It was bad and silly there as well (and raised all the same questions)

I'm happy to go with the majority. How busy is everyone?