Spoilers Prey: Book 3: The Hall of Heroes by John Jackson Miller Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Rate Prey: Book 3: The Hall of Heroes

1. Outstanding

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Above Average

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

Blurb:
    Continuing the milestone 50th anniversary celebration of Star Trek—an epic new trilogy that stretches from the events of The Original Series movie The Search for Spock to The Next Generation!

The Klingon Empire stands on the precipice. In the wake of violence from the cult known as the Unsung, paranoia threatens to break Chancellor Martok’s regime. Klingons increasingly call for a stronger hand to take control...one that Lord Korgh, master manipulator, is only too willing to offer.

But other forces are now in motion. Assisted by a wily agent, the Empire’s enemies secretly conspire to take full advantage of the situation. Aboard the USS Titan, Admiral William T. Riker realizes far more than the Federation’s alliance with the Klingons is in danger. With the Empire a wounded animal, it could either become an attacker—or a target.

Yet even as hostilities increase, Commander Worf returns to the USS Enterprise and Captain Jean-Luc Picard with a daring plan of his own. The preservation of both the Empire and the Federation alliance may hinge on an improbable savior leading a most unlikely force....

About the Author:
    John Jackson Miller is the New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Kenobi; Star Wars: Knight Errant; Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith—The Collected Stories; and fifteen Star Wars graphic novels, as well as Overdraft: The Orion Offensive. A comics industry historian and analyst, he has written for franchises including Conan, Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Mass Effect, and The Simpsons. He lives in Wisconsin with his wife, two children, and far too many comic books.

http://www.simonandschuster.biz/boo...n-Jackson-Miller/Star-Trek-Prey/9781501116032

People have reported purchasing this one, so I guess it's time to get a review thread going!

Please note, the author has indicated that he does not participate in review threads, but he is responding to questions and comments about the trilogy here: Star Trek: Prey Trilogy - general discussion thread

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picked this up this today at a Barnes and Noble. I have't read the 2nd book yet and I've just started a John Varley book so I'll be getting to this one in about a week and a half.

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Will try to buy one in a store by the end of the week.

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just got my copy. Now i just have to finish book 2...

5. Ronald Held

Should there be any in B&N after Tuesday?

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The books actually tend to start picking up in the stores a couple weeks before the release date, give or take a few days. The official release date, which tends to just apply to e-books, is tomorrow.

7. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished the book tonight--won't post any spoilers for now, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for the discussion to pick up!

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...my copy materializes on my iPad in 22 minutes. But who's counting? :D

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wanting to get this book before I start reading the first 2 books in this series. I had problems in the past getting the middle or last book of some of the Star trek miniseries over the years. Barnes and nobles sold out of them and had to re order them during the holidays.

10. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

Waiting to get this before I start as well so that I can be sure to go one to the next without any lengthy delay.

Hope it's better than the Legacies trilogy. Legacies was OK, but didn't really impress me.

Reading the Seekers books right now that I picked up as $1.99 e-book deals a couple of momths ago. They're kind of fun but a little over the top - at least the first two were. I'm on the third one now. Haven't read Vanguard yet. Hoping those show up as $1.99 deals sometime soon.

11. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Same, especially since most of them are pretty outrageously priced otherwise. I'm wanting to do a re-read of the series, but my eyes aren't what they used to be and reading paperbacks is tough for me so I'm looking to re-purchase for my Kindle, but these prices are pretty wild...

Harbinger - $19.99
    Summon the Thunder - $19.99
    Reap the Whirlwind - $29.99
    Open Secrets - $19.99
    Precipice - $18.99
    Declassified - $19.99

Markonian likes this.
  12. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Well, I read it, and enjoyed it. It was a solid story, and sometime in the future, I plan to read the entire Prey series back to back to see how they fare together (considering I enjoyed each of the three, it should be pretty good all together). There were a couple of little things that I think could've been better - and the I.K.S. Gorkon definitely deserved either more screen time - but when everything said and done, it was resolved well, with at least one loose thread that I can certainly see getting pulled out at a later date. Hopefully, there is some sort of, if not direct follow up, then at least references back to this story with regards to the politics or characters in this story.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Google Play is an option for you, they aren't as bad there.
    Harbinger - $9.99
    Summon the Thunder - $7.99
    Reap the Whirlwind - $15.99
    Open Secrets - $15.99
    Precipice - $7.99
    Declassified - $9.99
    You missed the last three in your list, but just in case this was an oversight and not a purposeful omission here they are too.
    What Judgements Come - $6.99
    Storming Heaven - $6.99
    I'm not sure how much the post SH e-book novella In Tempest's Wake is because I own it and the price doesn't come up for books you own.
    Oh, I just noticed you're in Canada, so the prices might be different for you there.

14. star trek

star trek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Never knew this trilogy existed. Also whoever did the cover art for the book should hang their head in shame, that's just humiliating. Awful. Pocket books is a profesional publushing company right? lol.

:EDIT: wait book 2's cover page [​IMG] ... omg.

15. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Thanks, JD. Yeah, I was just listing those that had the inflated prices; the rest of the series are around the normal $8.99 range. I'd even be willing to maybe go up to $10.99, but man... Up to $30?! I can only hope that the algorithm, or whatever automated means, that sets these prices just needs to be tweaked because I'd find it pretty disheartening if they're intentionally setting them this high.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got my copy of this book I'm look forward to reading this miniseries . It sounds really like an intriguing series of books.

17. Ronald Held

Had to order a copy, might get it in a week.

18. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Finished it this morning. Voted Outstanding. Not normally a fan of Klingons but this trilogy hooked me and I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next. I enjoyed the twists and turns of this book and the full trilogy.

19. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Voted outstanding as well. Perfect wrap up to Trek's 50th anniversary!

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Outstanding, hands down. Loved how each crew (except GKN) gets their limelight. It's personal and a political epic. We get cool space battles. The bad guys aren't evil - just misguided.

My favourite crossover series since Destiny.

Tracy Trek, Mage, Idran and 1 other person like this.