Spoilers Prey: Book 2: The Jackal's Trick by John Jackson Miller Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Oct 24, 2016.

?

Rate Prey: Book 2: The Jackal's Trick

1. Outstanding

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Above Average

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]

Blurb:
    Continuing the milestone 50th anniversary celebration of Star Trek—an epic new trilogy that stretches from the events of The Original Series movie The Search for Spock to The Next Generation!

The Klingon-Federation alliance is in peril as never before. Lord Korgh has seized control of the House of Kruge, executing a plot one hundred years in the making. The Klingon cult known as the Unsung rampages across the stars, striking from the shadows in their cloaked Birds-of-Prey. And the mysterious figure known as Buxtus Cross launches a scheme that will transform the Klingon Empire forever.

Into danger flies Admiral William T. Riker and the USS Titan, charged with protecting the peace forged nearly a century before during the Khitomer Accords. Aided by Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the USS Enterprise, Riker and his officers scour the stars, seeking to find the Unsung and uncover the truth behind the conspiracy before time runs out.

Yet even as Commander Worf departs on a deeply personal mission of honor, hidden sinister forces seek to turn the crisis to their advantage. And the conspirators’ plans threaten to spiral out of control, jeopardizing the very empire they aspire to rule.

About the Author:
    John Jackson Miller is the New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Kenobi; Star Wars: Knight Errant; Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith—The Collected Stories; and fifteen Star Wars graphic novels, as well as Overdraft: The Orion Offensive. A comics industry historian and analyst, he has written for franchises including Conan, Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Mass Effect, and The Simpsons. He lives in Wisconsin with his wife, two children, and far too many comic books.

http://www.simonandschuster.biz/boo...n-Jackson-Miller/Star-Trek-Prey/9781501115806

I held a copy of this in my hands yesterday... didn't end up getting it, because the two copies they had were kind of beat up, and I figured I'd have better success at my regular bookstore. However, it's out there in the wild, so I thought that posting a review thread would be appropriate.

Please note: the Simon & Schuster page linked to above indicates that an unabridged audio download of this book is coming in March 2017. I can't remember if it was previously revealed that Prey was coming to audio, but I thought I'd mention it just in case, since audiobook fans might be interested.

Markonian likes this.
  2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just ordered mine, hopefully here before the weekend. :D Looking forward to it, I rather enjoyed the first part.

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine has not shipped.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Just picked up my copy yesterday. I'm not a fan of the Satanic-looking figure on the cover, but I'm enjoying the story in book 1 so far.

5. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Another good book - although I don't know if I enjoyed it as much as Hell's Heart - and I definitely plan on rereading the entire thing as a trilogy after the last book comes out next month. Again, I kinda wish some other characters (I'm looking for President zh'Tarash and her staff, the I.K.S. Gorkon and its crew, maybe another Starfleet vessel) would make an appearance, but what we did see from the Enterprise and Titan were pretty cool. Lt. Kyzak is an interesting character, and I think Titan's new protocol officer, Lt. Xaatix, will be a welcome addition to the crew.

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just foy at my found a copy at my local chapters and plan on starting it tomorrow :)

7. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

I suddenly had the urge to rewatch The Magicks of Megas-Tu (animated) while reading this, just in case... :)

Markonian and Idran like this.
  8. Ronald Held

Finally got mine. Hope to start it this weekend

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got my book the other day. I'm looking forward to getting time to read the first 2 books soon.

10. Mage

Ok, got to a certain point in the book, and I'm gonna call it, just in case.....

The Nausican that's studying the Houdini is Ardra.

Markonian likes this.
  11. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Yes she didn't seem to mind her planet got destroyed....

12. Mage

Again a good read, fast paced. Hard to put down. Did not see this ending coming in any way. Very curious about the third and last installement now. :D

13. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it, but it seemed the twist at the end existed only to justify a third book.

14. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

15. Ronald Held

Finally got it started. So far more of the same. Have to wait a while before listening to the podcast

16. Ronald Held

Just finished it. I just found bit tedious between the machinations and several POVs.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished this a few minutes ago, and I enjoyed it just as much as Hell's Heart.
    Cross is a great villain, and I really enjoyed how much this one focused on him.
    I was a little annoyed that Worf ended up getting himself captured again, but that whole storyline ended up being good enough that I didn't mind it once things got going.
    The Excelsior flashback was a fun little bit that I didn't expect.
    Kyzak is quickly becoming one of my favorite Titan characters. The idea of a 24th Century Cowboy sounds a bit goofy at first, but the authors have done a great job. Xaatix and Aggadak were good too, and I hope we see more of them in The Hall of Heroes.
    The big twist with Shift was a huge shock, I was reading back in the breakroom at work, and it was really hard not to yell "Oh, shit" out loud when she took off her helmet.
    Even after reading to whole book, I'm still not sure what the cover is supposed to represent. I'm assuming the demonic looking guy is meant to represent Cross? Or Korgh?
    I was a bit surprised at Cross and the majority of the Unsung being killed off in this book. The set ups for Bk3 were very interesting, and I'm very anxious to see where The Hall of Heroes takes things from here. I do plan on reading a couple comics before I start it, but those shouldn't take long.

18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Cross seems like the sort of character Bruce Campbell would play.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I reread this book a few weeks ago and thought the book was really well written and I enjoyed reading this trilogy again.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was originally picturing him as some quite a bit younger, like 20s or 30s, but I just double checked the year for Devil's Due and that was 19 years before Prey, so I he would actually have to be quite a bit older than that. In that case, Bruce Campbell could definitely work for me. Now I'm almost finding myself wanting to reread the first two with him in mind.