• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

News "Pretty Maids All in a Row" Comes to Blu-ray June 30

  • Thread starter Ghost of Bella Goth
  • Start date
I once read that Quentin Tarantino really rated this movie, which is why it won't be left to rot.and only exist as something grindhouse. Then again his taste is for the typical sounding plot that's otherwise transgressive and shocking.
Ironic that Hudson's whole career was that of a stereotypical man with healthy appetites back then.
 
Last edited:
Does raise the question of why did someone think this was a film worthy of a remaster and blu-ray release?

That's the great thing about Warner Archive - they don't discriminate on the movies they have in their library. They treat the good, the bad, and the fugly the same when it comes to what needs to be restored and/or preserved.

I would opine that historical preservation for posterity is a good enough reason to make the effort. Additionally, even an awful film such as how I'd expect to find this one, could I sit all the way through it, can have historical significance, and this film clearly has that.
 
I once read that Quentin Tarantino really rated this movie, which is why it won't be left to rot.and only exist as something grindhouse. Then again his taste is for the typical sounding plot that's otherwise transgressive and shocking.
Yup, I saw that mentioned in the Wikipedia article. Considering my already low opinion, that says a lot about him.
 
I would opine that historical preservation for posterity is a good enough reason to make the effort. Additionally, even an awful film such as how I'd expect to find this one, could I sit all the way through it, can have historical significance, and this film clearly has that.
Absolutely. The quality of a particular narrative or documentary film should take a back seat to the necessity of preserving living history. We've already lost large swaths of silent films because of accidents, full-on indifference, and even negligence by studios. We're losing files on some modern films because of the over-reliance on digital storage with no safe or reliable backups to the data.
 
We should be thankful that companies like Criterion, Kino-Lober, Arrow Video and Vinegar Syndrome, just to name a few, are stepping up and putting these movies out there for the public to see; whereas the big studios seem to be content with keeping them locked in the vault.
 
We should be thankful that companies like Criterion, Kino-Lober, Arrow Video and Vinegar Syndrome, just to name a few, are stepping up and putting these movies out there for the public to see; whereas the big studios seem to be content with keeping them locked in the vault.
Not all of the big studios, mind you. Warner Bros, Universal, and Sony continue to invest in preservation and distribution. MGM/Amazon is slowly getting better about it. Disney is the problem right now, especially in regards to the old 20th Century-Fox library.

We've also got some great international labels that are helping the cause - Eureka and Indicator out of England and Imprint from Australia are doing incredible work.
 
Not all of the big studios, mind you. Warner Bros, Universal, and Sony continue to invest in preservation and distribution. MGM/Amazon is slowly getting better about it. Disney is the problem right now, especially in regards to the old 20th Century-Fox library.
Disney has always been the problem regarding this.
 
I think I saw a TV edit of it decades ago.

Was it about ten minutes long? ;)

Besides Roddenberry there are a couple of other Trek links as James Doohan and William Campbell are both in it, I wonder if that was accidental or whether Roddenberry got one of both of them the gig?
 
The infamous 1971 film written and produced by Gene Roddenberry comes to Blu-ray June 30, according to blu-ray.com: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=38333. You have been warned....

It used to pop up on Aussie TV quite often and, as an impressionable teen, I thought it was cheesy but intriguing. I never guess whodunnits and this was no exception. The cast were probably having fun with this script.

I was shocked when I finally caught "The Graduate" in rerun and realised one of GR's main "homages".
 
It's based on a the 1968 novel by Francis Pollini, and not Bird's creation.

It's skeevy no matter who was involved.
 
It's based on a the 1968 novel by Francis Pollini, and not Bird's creation.

And Pollini's novel was hardcore porn, so they toned it down quite a bit for the movie.

And Roger Vadim and Gene Roddenberry were the second director and writer/producer brought in to adapt the novel after the first team's attempt didn't work out. I read recently that Herb Solow gave Roddenberry the job as a favor, which I guess explains why it's such an outlier in Roddenberry's body of work.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top