Pre-Warp ships

SCE2Aux

Captain
Captain
Hi, I'm in the middle of making a pre-warp design for a friend who's doing a fan project, covering the history of United Earth, early UFP and the like. I've settled on a DY-100-esque shape, but with real-life elements added (Space Shutle/Dreamchaser/Starship type influences.)

Also kitbashed some of my own pre-UFP ship elements into this design for a sense of tech continuity.

qmXiGFi.jpg

raXxt4z.jpg

That's a beautiful design, enough details to catch the eye but the overal shape is rather sturdy and smooth, lifting body like I would say, I love the heat tiles. :mallory::techman:

Thanks! It's definitely more a lifting body/falling-with-style kind of vehicle, yep!

The ship started out with a round nose, transitioning into a hexagonal cross-section going aft, trying to evoke a similar shape seen in the DY-Class ships seen in TOS.
EofZIqs.jpg

I lopped a few edgeloops out of the top of the initial mesh to produce the lifting body shape:
BIWRIoG.jpg

Last edited:
As if we couldn't be more impressed, I think your designs have such a realism to them, yes it's SF and so on but it looks so industrial real. :mallory::techman:

Nice work, good ideas.
There are not many pre-warp vessels in ST, but check out the Spaceflight Chronology for some ideas and history.
Quite as few sub-light spacecraft in there.
It's licensed and illustrated by Rick Sternbach so that's good enough for me as far as "official".

Nice work, good ideas.
There are not many pre-warp vessels in ST, but check out the Spaceflight Chronology for some ideas and history.
Quite as few sub-light spacecraft in there.
It's licensed and illustrated by Rick Sternbach so that's good enough for me as far as "official".
I feel like I've heard of that book before but never looked it up until now - it looks fascinating though! Obviously the lore is fairly outdated at this point, but it's got a lot of really interesting ideas and spacecraft concepts in it.

I think I saw something similar auger in ;)
Wedge shapes are always a solid starting point for spaceships :D

I'm currently unwrapping the model, which is my least favourite thing to do because it's so so boooring, compounded by a couple of file corruptions, so I've been keeping myself entertained during the process by further kitbashing: Warp propulsion retrofits, for instance:
whjlgyV.jpg

Back