Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that is kind of a weird set up. I'm not a designer or anything, but if it were me, I would have slid the Saban's over into the middle, or far left so it clearly comes before both words, and doesn't look like comes between Power and Rangers.

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

An interesting factoid about this episode: I looked up the actress that played that rich guy's assistant, and it turns out she's the person inside the Keeper suit. Saves them money I guess by using someone who they already have on a two season contract.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

By the way, I've found an interesting video series on YouTube called It's Henshin Time!, which is a documentary about the history of Super Sentai and Power Rangers. It's only up to five episodes and it updates very infrequently, but it has some interesting background info on the franchise. The latest installment is up to Bioman (the 8th series) and focuses mainly on Haim Saban and his burgeoning interest in the franchise. There's an interesting but all-too-brief glimpse of Saban's first pilot for an Americanization of Super Sentai, based on Bioman but using nearly the same character names for the Rangers that would be used 8 years later in MMPR -- Victor Lee, Zack Taylor, Kimberly Harte, Billy Cranston, and Trini Crystal. The wildest thing, though, is that the Red Ranger Victor was played by a young Mark Dacascos, now known as Giyera on Agents of SHIELD and the Chairman on Iron Chef America. According to this page, Zack was Miguel A. Núñez Jr, Kimberly was Rebecca Staples, Billy was Tom Silardi, and Trini was Tricia Leigh Fisher.

I looked into it a bit more, and apparently that pilot is lost, but bits of it were used in Saban's '92 "Galaxy Rangers" series pitch, evidently combining clips from the '80s pilot with footage from Zyuranger as a sort of proof-of-concept presentation. Zack was going to be a detective, Kimberly a "sometimes clumsy" aerobics instructor, Billy an "athletic heartthrob," and Trini an aspiring novelist and intellectual. I guess they hadn't yet decided on a high school focus.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So the Power Rangers are fighting Poison Ivy?

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting Rita design. Not a huge fan of the color scheme, but I don't hate it. I can't wait to see the actual Ranger suits.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like it.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking a better version of Rita might have been a slight modification to what Banks was wearing in the Hunger Games movies. This does look way too poison ivy-ish to me. Also, why so green? They couldn't make it more reddish?

9. Samurai8472

Banks says she has a connection to the rangers.

She might have even been the first green ranger(Tommy Purist cry out)

Along the way she got corrupted and this is what she looks like.

her shoulder armor has a green fire type look

[​IMG]

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yeah, I saw that picture online today and thought it was an odd choice, at best. I think Banks is a great choice for Rita but I was hoping for something more traditional in terms of her outfit.

11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They could have kept Rita's hair and the staff but other than that the costume was just a poofy dress with boob cones and a giant collar, I don't mind changing that, the original look didn't look very alien (obviously because Bandora was from earth but that's not Rita's backstory).

The green and gold is obviously because of the green ranger, it would be interesting if Rita is the original green ranger and was corrupted, that would explain why she has that one coin.
    I would ditch the Tommy character and make her the only green ranger, it would give her a more active role in fighting the rangers and it would make Jason David Frank freak out.:guffaw:

12. Samurai8472

JDF fan- TAMMY IS NOT TOMMY!

3rd quarter of Zyouhger's toys has been revealed

[​IMG]

The splash page, including ZyuohWhale, Eagle's new form, TousaiZyuoh and WildTousaiKing.

[​IMG]

CubeRhinos and it's trailer. CubeRhinos does not transform into a cube, it is a cuboid in it's natural state. TousaiZyuoh, formed from all 3 of TheWorld's mecha, and 13 piece combination, WildTousaiKing.

[​IMG]

CubeKoumori (Koumori Boomerang), CubeCondor and it's combination with Tiger and Elephant (not named yet.) The entire line up till now, including WildTousaiKing, the 13 piece combination.

[​IMG]

The WhaleChangeGun, which turns Eagle into whale. Also silhouetted is CubeWhale, it's robo mode
    and the Combination of all mecha. Whale can be pictured with an anchor-gun weapon, which may be a separate ZyuohWeapon Animal

13. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe Haim is somewhat narcissistic and insists on having his surname on every logo.

14. Christopher

No different from Disney, then. Or Marvel Studios. It's not so much personal narcissism as branding, keeping the company name in people's minds.

15. Samurai8472

16. Christopher

At least the wand is recognizable. (Come to think of it, it's really more a staff than a wand, isn't it?)

17. Samurai8472

Suits revealed!!

[​IMG]

It's pretty much what I expected.

Its different and edgy but keeps the general look

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/0...k?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  18. Christopher

I don't think giving the women molded boob armor is "appealing to a mature audience." More like appealing to teenage boys.

Other than that, they're kinda like the '95 movie costumes as updated by Tony Stark.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're OK, pretty much what I expected. It is nice to see that they found a way to go for a more modern look, but still managed to keep enough familiar elements to be recognizable.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The suits are far too busy and they're trying too hard to be dark and edgy. Also, I could do without the boob armour.