Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Smart call, focusing the cover art on the cast out of costume. Helps distinguish it from MMPR.

2. Christopher

Well, "Vrak is Back," and it's awfully convenient the way he just happened to neutralize both Orion and the Super Mega mode so that they could go back to using Goseiger footage for his and Robo Knight's return. Apparently this 2-parter is based on the climactic arc of Goseiger, and it's weird that they waited until so late in this season to use it. I mean, they've already compressed and cut down the stuff from Gokaiger so much as it is. This just makes it worse. And bringing back Vrak and Robo Knight doesn't really carry any weight when Vrak has rarely been mentioned all season and RK hasn't been referenced at all. They could've at least given Vrak an occasional scene to keep him in play, like the way Zeo featured new footage of Zedd and Rita.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

http://www.indiewire.com/article/vo...rsection-the-space-between-or-bulbul-20141031

http://www.justjared.com/2014/11/07...r-gets-back-into-costume-wins-the-whole-week/

Amy-Jo-Johnson is raising funds for a movie she's directing.

If she met her goal she said she'd wear her MMPR pink ranger suit

Here she is in-suit. It's apparently the first time since back when she was on the show.

http://instagram.com/p/vGy-Y7w5y_/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and also she posted a short video with a message from JDF to her

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jV2gDvNSc[/YT]

4. Christopher

Directing a movie? Good for her! Of all the ex-Rangers, I think she's had perhaps the most successful career, though not as successful as I thought she deserved.

So "Emperor Mavro" wasn't bad, although I have to wonder why the Armada held Damaras back so long if he was the strongest warrior in the universe. (Hey, "Damaras" is an anagram of "Armadas"!) It was nice that we got to see a lot of the Rangers in action without their helmets/costumes, although as usual, one has to wonder why they don't armor up before going into battle. It was rather silly that the unarmored Rangers were just knocked down and dazed by the very same weapon that had just destroyed a skyscraper across the bay moments before.

And it was weird that the rock concert at the end was sort of an unacknowledged Samurai crossover, but only in the sense that it was stock footage from a Super Samurai episode. So they "bring back" two Samurai Rangers, but without even mentioning who they are or having any interaction with the current cast. Just weird.

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Cute. Good for her. :D

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two things I love about Amy Jo Johnson's project:

1. Her old castmates (particularly JDF and David Yost) supported her via social media and youtube

2. She's wearing her Ranger Gun :)

Semi-related, but here's a nice Huffingtonpost article interviewing a few of the original Rangers (plus Karan Ashley to fill in for Thuy Trang): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/04/power-rangers-interview_n_6004472.html

Of note, I didn't know that Yost used to babysit JDF's kids so that he and Mrs. Green Ranger could go out on dates. Pretty sweet.

---

Anyway, on a separate note, since Super Megaforce won't be adapting this battle, I present one of my favorite Sentai/PR battles ever: the Ohranger/Zeo tribute in Gokaiger!

(For context: the Gokaigers' nemesis Basco has captured various Extra Ranger keys. His trumpet has the power to use Ranger keys as his own henchmen. But since there's no body to occupy to suits, the suits act fairly robotically, so they don't use their suits as powerfully, skillfully, or creatively as the original bearers of those powers.)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGX7WjGdkoU[/yt]

7. Christopher

We're up to the second-last Super Megaforce episode now, "The Wrath," and still no sign of the past Rangers. I'm disappointed. When Troy said "We're not just five, we're over a hundred," I thought that was going to lead into an effort to track down and recruit the classic Rangers. I'd heard they'd gone back to shoot a bit more material with them. But if so, it's only going to be in next week's finale. This one was just a very rushed final confrontation with Levira (who has a Megazord with her face on the chest, and her eyes are its boobs, rather ludicrously) and then a rather clumsily structured battle where, first off, the Rangers are able to dispose of a huge wave of ships almost effortlessly, but then are totally trashed by an equal-sized wave of ships, with no evident change in either side's strategy.

At least we finally get names for the "New Powers" based on pre-Zyuranger Sentai costumes. Maskman is "Lightning Mode," Changeman is "Blitz Mode," Flashman is "Prism Mode," and Fiveman is "Supersonic Mode." This is the one time those modes have appeared in newly shot footage rather than stock, since they replaced Sun Vulcan's Red Ranger (VulEagle) from the original footage with the MMPR Red Ranger. I wonder why they didn't have all five be "New Powers," or drop the scene entirely in favor of familiar PR costumes.

So apparently Orion's ship has just been sitting there in the woods for months now. Why hasn't the government scooped it up to study defenses against the alien invaders?

Well, next week it's all over, and I guess I should brace myself for disappointment. At least we'll probably get a better-written show next season.

8. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I was very disappointed, too, but I was watching with my son, so I had my filter on. This season has certainly not lived up to its potential, and I'm not expecting anything of note next week.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's lucky, had I been married to her she would've heard no end of shameless requests.

Actually, I'm surprised Saban would give it away, they seem pretty tight.

10. Samurai8472

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWv5BnBPP5c[/YT]

Don't expect anything more than what was in that clip

An interesting idea someone brought up regarding sentai 2015 Nin'ninger

IF Toqger was skipped we could go from Dinosaurs to Ninjas. That would prolong the MMPR nostalgia Saban is so desperate to cling on

11. Christopher

"Ninninger" -- which in Japanese is phonetically identical to "Ninninja" -- has got to be the laziest name ever for a ninja-themed Sentai season.

12. Cyke101

Would you happen to know what "kaku" in Kakuranger means? It's one of those questions I've had in the back of my mind but never actually asked.

I always thought Hurricanger was a pretty creative name. It played with the typical 3- or 4-syllable Sentai name and was the first team to use the -ger suffix in place of -ranger.

13. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kakuranger translates as "Ninja Taskforce Hidden Ranger" something like that.

14. Cyke101

Yeah, I'm aware of the Ninja Sentai part for the full name of Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, but thought for a second that Kaku would be a synonym for ninja, so it would've been weird to be named "Ninja Task Force Ninja Ranger." (then again, we have Nin-Nin, and Shurikenger's catch phrase was "Ninja of Ninja, sooo...) Thanks for clarifying the Kaku part.

15. Christopher

The Japanese word for "hidden" is kakureta, so Kakurenjaa is probably a pun on that.

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read somewhere (Jefusion, I think?) that the dual "nin" has to do with their transforming gimmick, in that the sentai gang will power up from one form to another, changing color a la ToQger along the way. Hence, two ninja sentai in one, hence "Ninninger".

And hey, I don't mind skipping ToQger, since frankly it's very disappointing to me and I gave up on it after the first few episodes. And I *like* trains. Saban's current strategy of doing two year adaptation stretches with the same cast means two years of Dino Charge, followed by two years of Ninninger. I have hopes for Dino Charge being at least a little entertaining, but the track record since Saban got their license back has been pretty well terrible by consensus of pretty much everyone here, so...

Mark

17. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

I use to watch the original Power Rangers all the way up to Power Rangers Zeo. Some years later watched it again this time they had this Australian-Brazilian guy playing one of the rangers he was a hot piece ass if you ask me. I think his name is Glenn McMillan reminded me of a guy I was with about two years ago.

18. Christopher

Well, "Legendary Battle" started off well. The cameos of the past Rangers rescuing civilians were pretty cool. It's a nice thought that they've continued to help people even after their time as Rangers.

But the rest was pretty lame. The Super Megaforce Rangers manage to defeat the Armada and Emperor Mavro on their own, and by the time the Legendary Rangers show up for the final battle, it's just mopping up the leftover X-Borgs. What a total waste.

The problem, of course, is that the Legend War with all the teams coming together actually happened in the first episode of Gokaiger, not the last, so naturally it started out with less impressive enemies. But it still could've been done better if, say, we'd seen the past Rangers connecting with the current team earlier, maybe had Tommy and the rest team up with the other four while Troy and Orion were storming Mavro's ship. As it is, it feels like the past Rangers either showed up late or deliberately let Megaforce deal with the hard part. Not very well done at all.

Well, at least it's over. And we have our first promo for Dino Charge, although it wouldn't say anything about its premiere date other than "soon."

19. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I don't disagree

However, I was prepared for much worse, so I was pleasantly pleased with what we got. So, I am satisfied enough with the ending to this overall lackluster addition to the franchise. *shrug*

20. Samurai8472

It's not over yet

http://news.tokunation.com/2014/11/...version-airs-monday-nov-24th-nick-toons-22644