Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Okay, thanks for clarifying.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I made it about five minutes into the episode and I just couldn't take any more. The sad thing is that this episode with the Insult Monster was actually really good in Shinkenger. If it wasn't for Gokaiger being amazing I'd be very disappointed right now.

3. Christopher

I think it would've been better for Power Rangers to have ended with RPM than to be brought back like this.

Anyone have any ratings information on Samurai? How's it performing?

4. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Oh, man, I love the MMPR. Haven't watched it really since the end of the second or third season, when I was like 12.

Fourth-grader Jacob (me) was going to grow up and marry Amy Jo Johnson. :)

I don't think that any adult can really take the Power Rangers seriously, though. It's like MST3K, but also nostalgic because of fond childhood memories.

5. Christopher

Get in line. A lot of us were already grown up when we fell in love with Amy Jo.

Well, of course, it's light-hearted fun and a silly premise. But some of the later seasons -- ...in Space, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and particularly RPM -- also had dramatic threads that were pretty engaging.

6. Kelthaz

I pulled this from a thread on Ranger Board. I'm not sure what the previous seasons pulled in, but 3 million certainly seems impressive.

Week 1: "The Team Unites"
    2.875 million (02/07/11)
    Re: 3.3% of 6-11 (02/12/11)

Week 2: "Deal With a Nighlock"
    3.115 million (02/13/11)
    Re: 2.9% of 6-11 (02/19/11)

Week 3: "Day Off"
    2.890 million (02/20/11)

7. Christopher

^Well, from the same BBS, I found a thread listing RPM ratings, and they ranged from 0.1 to 1.1, averaging about 0.55. That's a percentage of the estimated TV-viewing households in the US, sayeth the Wiki, and a rating of 0.55% would translate to around 0.64 million viewers. But MMPR earned as much as 8.2 in its day, according to this thread; that may have been 8-9 million viewers, depending on how many TV-owning households there were at the time.

So it seems to be doing much better than its recent predecessors, perhaps because of the much bigger promotional push than Disney ever gave it. Still, it's early yet. A lot of us tuned in at the beginning hoping for the best, but the ineptitude of it has already driven away several posters in this thread, myself included. We'll have to see how the ratings trend over the weeks ahead.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Episode 3 of Samurai

"Sticks and Stones"

First episode that I can say that wasn't too bad. Did they really have to emulate the piggy back scene and green ranger narration at the end too from Shinkenger?

I know they've been copying Shinkenger 85% of the time but the ending doesn't seem like it needed to be copied.

They take out the Shinkenger cockpit, add in the sword controllers and add the Megaranger suits.

Seems like they're not focusing on what really could be changed.

Gokaiger episode 3

The Gokaiger's visited the Magiranger/Mystic force area over the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgh_2UV4Hxg

Nice touch with the Magiranger theme in the background

Gokaiger's third ending theme brings us from 2001 to now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QC9YjZb45A

I was in near tears hearing the Magiranger's theme again after 6 years.

Gokaiger seems to know how to do the fan service and still make the show about the Gokaigers.

All Red poster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. Kelthaz

10. Samurai8472

It's a shame that Power Ranger's samurai is so bad. The acting is even worse than the original crew in 1993.

Gokaiger so far has been amazing. It's been able to mix nostalgia while still focusing on the Gokaiger crew.

Also this weeks Gokaiger episode 5 will be delayed due to the earthquakes.

The cast are fine.

http://doublew024002.wordpress.com/...ku-sentai-gokaiger-cast-after-the-earthquake/

The famous tokyo tower seen in countless episodes

[​IMG]

11. Christopher

The original MMPR cast was one of the better ones in the Power Rangers franchise. Amy Jo Johnson was and is a superb actress (she's done some awesome stuff on Flashpoint and got a Gemini Award nomination for it in '09). Walter Jones is very good too, and most of the rest were at least workmanlike. The only really poor actor in the original cast was David Yost.

Now, the cast of Power Rangers in Space -- that was a pretty talent-poor bunch. But the Samurai cast is definitely a new low.

12. Samurai8472

Lightspeed rescue cast- Only Joel(Keith Robinson) seemed natural the rest of the team were WOODEN

13. Christopher

I rather liked Sean Cw Johnson as the Red Ranger there. And Monica Louwerens and Ron Rogge were pretty good. The others were mediocre, but no worse than typical for this franchise.

14. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Guess who sold a Power Rangers-style RPG setting to a publisher last week?

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got through watching this week's ep, and have to tell Christopher and anyone else who's given up on PRS at this point to give the show one last chance, because this week's ep was freaking brilliant, and didn't suffer at all from any of the issues that have plagued the previous episodes. Here's my 'bullet-point' review, which is cross-posted from two other boards:
    * It took us 6 eps, but we finally got to see one of Xandred's 'inner circle' in action, and man was it worth the wait; if Dayu continues to have opportunities to face off with the Rangers, she may just earn her way into my list of top 5 favorite villains in PR history

* I love how Dekker (not sure on the spelling, but this one sounds/looks better than 'Deker' or 'Decker') looks like a cross between Lord Zedd and Zen-Aku; I also like how his personality seems, at this stage, to be a cross between Zen-Aku and Koraag, and really want to know more about him

* I loved the call-backs, subtle though they might've been, to the hints of romance that we got in episodes 2 and 4 between Mia and Kevin and Mike and Emily

* I really want to know who contacted Ji at the start of the ep and told him that the Moogers hadn't taken the bait with regards to the Rangers' fake wedding

* Speaking of, of all the plans that Rangers have concocted over the years to deal with threats to the general populace from monsters and whatnot, the fake wedding thing has to be one of the most brilliant EVER

* It was cool to see the Rangers bust out both of their new Megazord formations in the course of a single battle, especially against the giant Moogers (who really have something over their normal-sized counterparts when it comes to the strength department); it's a nice return to a trend/aspect of PR thats pretty much fallen by the wayside (I believe the last season where this truly happened might've been Time Force)

* Bulk and Spike's scenes in this ep were great, and Spike is genuinely starting to make me chuckle

* I really liked the call-back to the Rangers using their Symbol Powers in non-combat situations, and also liked that, unlike the previous instances when they used the symbol powers outside of combat, this particular use (the creation of doubles) demonstrated some pretty quick thinking and some fairly decent strategy on their part

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Some small children were watching this show on Nickelodeon in the playroom at my gym yesterday.

That is all.

17. Christopher

What was the name of the episode, and will it be rebroadcast on Nickelodeon at any point? (I don't get Nicktoons.)

18. Samurai8472

"There Go The Brides"

Episode 6

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Christopher, I don't know if it'll be broadcast again, but have an alternative solution, the details of which I'll PM you.

20. Christopher

No, thank you. I'm not interested in "alternative" ways of obtaining videos that have to be spoken of in hushed private messages.