Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which, again, has absolutely nothing to do with my point. And I can't imagine what your point is supposed to be, because there has already been a DVD box set of the three seasons I'm referring to (and the one after that), so it makes no sense to argue that such a DVD set couldn't exist.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Liongate's gate out. Hasbro in. Future Power Ranger's movies will be made with Hasbro's input

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/05/31/hasbro-power-rangers-movies-confirmed-for-the-future-53241

That CEO definitely doesn't mince words with his last sentence.

I guess that plan for 10 anticipated movies by Saban is out the window. I guess the 2017 movie will sit alongside the 2015 Fantastic four movie and Bryan Singer's Superman movie along with Marc Webb's Spider-man movies.

Movie franchises that never reached their potential

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they'll incorporate the Power Rangers into the Hasbro Cinematic Universe they are supposed to be working on?

4. Samurai8472

I'll update with my thoughts later. This weeks Lupin Collection piece appears to be a ball the super sentai sun vulcan used in an attack.

I'm a little more ahead in Kamen Rider Build. All I have to say is WOW. Usually story elements and events like this happen late into the season but we're barely into the teen's

Lot's of betrayal and scheming. It's very interesting to see the political and military scheming happening.

We still don't know who Blood Stalk is. Looks like we're getting close to it

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  5. Christopher

LvP: A fun one; nice to see Tooma forced out of his usual stoic mode, and the actor getting to goof around for a change. Although it occurs to me that the LupinRangers missed an opportunity. While he was in the Ganglar's body, Tooma could've infiltrated the enemy camp and maybe stolen back some Collection pieces or gathered intelligence on Dogranio's plans.

Speaking of knowing stuff about the enemy, how did Manta know the combination to Tooma's VS Changer? Well, I guess he saw them all use their combinations to henshin at the first battle. Kind of reckless to just let the monsters see that.

KRB: I was disappointed last week when the gorgeous reporter turned out to be a spy for the villains. I'm glad she's apparently switched sides now, since I want her to stick around.

You mean Blood Stark -- or, as the screen text in episode 11 rendered it, Blood Stalk (which makes more sense). He's the one they suspect of being Katsuragi. Night Rogue is Himuro, Sento's boss at the institute and the now-acting Prime Minister.

By the way, here's a video of the long version of the KRB theme song, "Be the One," from the same concert as those LvP videos you posted last week:

The singer, who goes by Beverly, is really cute, as well as having a beautiful voice. Apparently she's multilingual (Japanese, English, and Tagalog), so that means she actually pronounces the English lyrics correctly, which is helpful for a song whose refrain is largely English.

6. Samurai8472

I bought the single for Kamen Rider Build on itunes U.S once it was officially released. It's very rare to have Kamen Rider or sentai songs available on itunes. At first the song didn't seem to fit the opening credits visualsbut it's grown on me.

As for last weeks LVP. It was a nice character focus episode for Tooma. So far we've got a balanced season of focuses so far. No one feels underused or left out. We might need a Hilltop episode soon though.

Also this months magazine scans were revealed. We should get Lupin X in a few weeks.

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/05/...r-scans-online-ranger-x-joins-the-fight-53146

[​IMG]

Haruka Kudo (Umika) is getting a solo song in a new mini song album :

http://columbia.jp/prod-info/COCX-40389/

Hopefully it will make an appearance in the show sometime

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Samurai8472

Episode was a bit clunky. I hope there's an explanation for why Umika wasn't affected by the dream world. Perhaps since she lost her friend she has no other desire besides collecting lupin collection pieces?

I just love Umika's actresses nervous laugh. It's a cute quirk. Nice to see she's the one who's bonding the most with the Patoranger's.

Apparently Japanese Twitter blew up for Keiichiro after episode 17.... again.

Speaking of him. Keiichiro you bonehead. He's so focused on the defeat of ganglar he'll push everything else.

Now we can add Keiichiro to the list of Patoranger's suspecting the Jurer bistro trio. I hope that actually sticks the next time around.

Also a bit odd for the other two Lupinranger's to do nothing while outside of the dream. Maybe they were fighting the ganglar outside?

Last week's lupin Collection piece was a blade from the super sentai "Maskman" btw

On to Kamen Rider build. This year is a good year for both Kamen Rider and Super Sentai

I'm leaning towards Kamen Rider build just a TINY bit because I like the serialized format.

Spoiler coding since some big things happened in 12 to 14

I'm glad to see that Sawa can stay after her whole spy angle was revealed. She had a pretty big action scene escaping

R.I.P Utsumi. That was a pretty diabolical move by Gentoku to make people think Touto goverment had uncovered and resolved the Faust organization

Episode 14- The close up of the bottle of coffee was a pretty big clue as to who BloodStalk was but you're still shocked

The noiseless henshin with Sento and Isurugi in the rain was pretty cool

It was cool to see Sento still believe he can make a difference and fight as build even though he's been manipulated since the beginning

What will happen when Misora finds out her dad isn't around as much?

8. Christopher

Well, the dreams seemed to focus on people's primary desires, and at that particular moment, Umika was heavily invested in getting Keiichiro and Mina together. So maybe being so impassioned over such a selfless goal, instead of her own personal desire, immunized her against the dream's effects.

I thought it was a charming episode. Keiichiro's romantic awkwardness was adorable and very relatable for me. And I think Umika was being too hard on him. I think he feels that he couldn't give Mina the attention she deserves as long as he has his duty pulling him the other way. I think he would want to devote himself as fully to love as he does to his work; as he says, he can only focus on one thing at a time, but when he does, he gives it his all. If he can't do that for her, he figures, then she deserves someone who can.

Interesting that the monster was named Nero. I wonder if it's a play on Oneiros, the Ancient Greek word for a dream or a deity personifying dreams. (See also NBC's new show Reverie and its VR dreams-come-true company called OniraTech, from the same root.)

Yeah, she's an unexpected badass. Allowing for the fictional kind of window glass that shatters easily and harmlessly.

Yeah, that was neat. Especially since the shouting, music-playing henshin devices are so annoying, so it was refreshing not to have to listen to that. But yeah, very dramatic. I still find it weird, the juxtaposition of the intense, well-done drama with the really incredibly goofy costumes and gadgets, which just keep escalating to more ridiculous levels.

I take it those new scenes in the opening titles of episodes 13-14 were from that Heisei Final crossover movie they advertised later? I was confused for a moment. I have the impression, though, that Build is set in a different reality from the other KR series, what with its dystopian divided Japan. So I guess there's some dimension-hopping going on?

Which is kind of appropriate, if so, since the story arc here is reminding me very much of season 1 of The Flash, with the archvillain playing mentor to the superhero and being a supportive father figure to him for ultimately self-serving, villainous goals.

9. Samurai8472

I just chalk up the goofy to serious transition as an eccentricity the Japanese have.

I guess they don't want smaller kids to leave depressed so they throw in a comedic scene to cheer them up right after?

The older teens want more meat to the series so they like the dramatic parts

Yeah. Similar to Super Sentai, cross overs when a past rider meets a current rider the rules are usually thrown out so they can meet.

Currently there's no Kamen Rider VS Super sentai cross over event episode scheduled

BTW. I would recommend Kamen Rider Kabuto from 2006 if you get a chance. Also Kamen Rider W

http://www.jatoku.com/category/kamen-rider/kamen-rider-kabuto/

The revival of Kamen Rider after 1988's Kamen Rider Black RX started out mixing a Japanese soap opera with Scifi elements. From 2000 to 2006

Nowadays Kamen Rider is part sentai levelcomedy/part JDrama/part scifi.

10. Samurai8472

Good episode last week with Goodie getting a background story. I liked the Lupinkaiser with patoranger VSV vehicles cockpit fit. We've had a few in the past. Most notable was the MMPR "Green with Evil" episode.

This cockpit had much more space so the choreographers could do more.

Interesting that the Patoranger's might have a leak in the security system to revive a ganglar box.It's also interesting how both the Lupinrangers and Patoranger's have parts but not all of the story

The Patoranger's got goodie from the france H.Q which is going to be the focus of the summer movie. The Lupiranger's know goodie was the first collection piece who gained a conscience. The small detail of Goodie using his boosters to propel himself on the swing was nice.

We also learn that the collection pieces aren't from the human world but ganglar world. Someone is playing both sides.

Last week's collection piece was the Power Ranger's Turbo Navigator

On to Kamen Rider build!

Lot's going on.

Wow. So Sento is basically a third person. He's not Katsurgai anymore and he's not Taro Sentou

Episode 16 was the best. Sento reaffirming his role as Kamen Rider build. Perfect timing as war has just begun with the third district Hokuto

Episode 17. Good moment from Misora realizing she's been a pawn and basically starting the war

What's Isuragi's goal with giving the Sclash driver plans to another district?

11. Christopher

Plus the added element of mixing and matching different mecha pieces to create a hybrid Kaiser. I was a little disappointed that the three of them couldn't agree to set aside their differences to fight the common enemy. There was one point where they sort of worked together, but it was more because they got distracted from fighting each other than because they made a choice to cooperate.

Yeah, I liked that.

Why did the French thief Arsene Lupin speak Japanese, though?

Some really big stuff happening in Build. All the secrets are revealed as we move into a larger phase of the story, practically like a season finale and premiere.

Nice use of the theme song in episode 16 where Sento chooses who he wants to be. The lyric "Be the One, Be the Lights" has never been more apt. I like that refrain because of the simple but powerful idea it conveys -- exhorting the listener to choose to be a hero, a source of light. And it really fit the story at that point.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Christopher

By the way, it struck me that the Kamen Riders on Build don't do a lot of, well, riding. Sento has his silly phone-that-turns-into-a-motorcycle thing (no wonder he needs that big coat with all the oversized gadgets he carries), but he's the only Kamen Rider on the show who's actually a Rider, and that only occasionally.

14. Samurai8472

Interestingly it's usually sentai series that play the theme song in certain episodes a couple of times. Kamen Rider doesn't do it that often.

Yeah some heisei Kamen Rider's scarcely ride their bikes nowadays. 2014 Kamen Rider Drive gave the main rider a car that was like K.I.T.T from Knight rider. Additional rider's later in the series did get bike though.

Gone are the days where it was one man and his bike.

Who knows the next Kamen Rider debuting in September could use a bike more often. It just varies

---------------------------------------------------------

Some power ranger's news. The Hasbro deal with Power Ranger's is complete. Power Ranger's is now part of Hasbro

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/06/...r-rangers-officially-part-of-hasbro-inc-53396

I wonder if the last episodes of Ninja Steel will have a title change "Hasbro's Power Ranger Ninja Steel"

Brand new team of MMPR's in the comics.

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/06/...in-cast-of-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-53432

They're using the unused Deathryuger from Kyoyuger/Dino Charge

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So are those all preexisting characters?

16. Christopher

More or less. The characters from TV are Zeo Ranger II Yellow (Power Rangers Zeo), Red Space Ranger (PR in Space), Magna Defender (the "Sixth Ranger" of the Lost Galaxy team), and Green Samurai Ranger (the Ninja Storm Sixth Ranger). The Ranger Slayer is original to Boom!'s comics, but she's a parallel-timeline version of Kimberly, the original Mighty Morphin Pink Ranger. And the "Dark Ranger" is an original character based on the Deathryuger costume that Dino Charge did not use when adapting Kyoryuger.

17. Samurai8472

A decent Sakuya episode.

It was nice seeing his apartment, and the fact that the episode started setting things up for X was a good.

No need for the Lupinranger's this time. The Jurer Bistro gang helped the Patoranger's but didn't help at the same time so things are still on the same level.

We learned Sasuya's motive for being a Patoranger's. It's protecting the innocent. He doesn't have to be a cop but he'll fight anyways

Can't wait for this weekend to see Lupin-X shake things up.

I think the Lupin Collection piece was a fan from Jungle Fury/Gekiranger

On to Kamen Rider Build

First off. Sento/Katsuragi should just stop inventing things. They'll either exhaust a person or cause them to loose control and go on a rampage

I love the little details of Build. When the Sclash driver is used to transform or attack, you can see the driver actually squeezing the jelly.

As soon as Sento talked about the Sclash driver having negative effects I was waiting to see when Grease would start showing signs of exhaustion. Sure enough he also get's exhausted after performing an attack

Interesting development with Misora having the ability to heal a person. Just intime too because things were getting out of control with Gentoku as prime minister. Now his dad is back and Gentoku is an outcase

Interesting setup for Hokuto with the three lackey's/crow who worked on Sawatari farm using the Hazard trigger to get stronger.

Sawatari story of becoming Grease and not wanting his subordinates to use the Hazard Trigger makes me sympathize with him more. He's not a bad guy, he's just working for the bad guys.

LOL interesting to see the idol personality for Misora reaches into Hokuto. Sawatari's a fan!

Looks like Sento's about to get the obligatory dark version of his default suit next time

18. Christopher

In other Sentai news, ShoutFactory now has Gekisou Sentai Carranger available for free streaming:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/super-sentai-carranger

I wonder why they released it after Megaranger for streaming, even though it was released first on DVD (and of course in the original run). Maybe it's less popular because it's a parody?

19. Christopher

And something of a Hilltop episode too. Cool to see him stand up for his officer.

Also kinda nice to see the Lupins helping Sakuya out, even if they were ostensibly just doing it to find the Ganglar. Tooma telling Goody to help out the Patrangers after the Lupins got the Collection piece was a nice gesture.

I didn't know that was a standard thing. Anyway, the costumes keep getting more ridiculous. Smartphone Wolf? Seriously?

I'm wondering about the collectible merchandise items that this season is clearly built around -- bottles and gels and such. Are the real-world tie-ins some kind of drink or candy items?

I wasn't sure if Misora would be able to heal the Prime Minister. It's undoubtedly an extension of her ability to "purify" Smash elements, and my guess would've been that it only worked on Riders or Smash, people infused with Pandora Box energy. Turns out it's more generalized.

Samurai8472 likes this.
  20. Samurai8472

Sorry. It was late. I should clarify for the dark suits thing. On some occasions in a Kamen Rider season there is a dark version or corrupted suit. It could also be featured in different movies.

The real world tie-ins are not consumables. They're just plastic collectibles you can simulate the shaking and twisting