Possible Merger of Star Trek and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by datalogan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you could say that! :lol:

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, ILM's computer graphics department did the Praxis shock wave effect in The Undiscovered Country.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that was Vanguard: Precipice?

4. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

There's no reason to merge the universes because the two franchises could easily fit within the same one already. The reason for this is the distance in time and space between the two franchises works just as well as having them in separate universes. Of course, this would limit what crossovers you could do. It wouldn't work if you had Trek characters end up in the Star Wars galaxy. However, if non-force-wielders like Hans Solo, crossed over to the Milky Way in the Trek timeline, it could work even as canon within both franchises. You could even establish the reimagined BSG and possibly even Firefly/Serenity as part of the same universe as Trek and Wars without too much problem using the same method. This could even open up new narrative possibilities like having an expedition to try to unravel the mystery of how and why humans existed in a distant galaxy and distant parts of our galaxy in the distant past.

There is however another legal wrinkle or two as well. One is that E.T. arguably took place in the same universe as Star Wars. Also, a weaker argument could be made for the Indiana Jones franchise also fitting in the same universe as Star Wars.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie: Ain't that the truth...

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I did not specify what redeeming quality the costume had, though. ;)

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss the days when rumors had weight because they were actually plausible as opposed to silly nonsense.

8. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

just have the crew from Enterprise or Voyager find a wormhole that takes them out of the Milky way Galaxy and into whatever Galaxy Star wars is in.

Hilarity ensues.

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Just because I can very vividly picture the EMH giving Janeway and Co. a briefing on the metaphasic energy-harnessing processes of midichlorians doesn't mean it don't make my ass hurt just thinking about it. [​IMG]

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think if that actually happened the nerd rage would probably be enough to create a black hole that would destroy the world.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As long a we can travel through it to the past and create an alternate timeline it will be cool.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

C3PO: I just can't understand humans.
    Spock: Amen brotha!

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nerd rage is, in fact, impotent. :lol:

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I need the escape from Earth in Star Wars.
    Sometimes it's nice to not be beaten about the head by the familiar.

15. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    The merger has already taken place. By using the same director for both franchises the movies will turn out stylistically the same.

A Picasso is always a Picasso no matter what medium he worked in. You can't get away from it. Writer, artist, actor...style is style and is not changeable.

16. Christopher

Well, that's an incredibly wrong and ridiculous thing to say. Plenty of creators are able to use different styles for different works. In fact, your own example disproves your assumption quite handily, because Picasso experimented with multiple different styles in the early years of his career before settling on cubism. Plenty of directors are able to work in different styles as well -- nobody would say that Spielberg's The Color Purple or Amistad is in the same style as Raiders of the Lost Ark or Minority Report, or that Zemeckis's Contact is in the same style as Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Not to mention that no film is the work of a single person. It's not like Abrams is going to have the exact same team of collaborators on SW that he has on ST. He's going to be directing and rewriting a film plotted by George Lucas, written by Michael Arndt, and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, none of whom have anything to do with Abrams's Trek films. Naturally that's going to make the films distinct from each other even aside from any differences in style and approach that Abrams employs.

And even if Abrams doesn't vary his directorial style that much, it may not matter to future Trek films, because we don't know if he'll be directing any more. He'll surely produce the next Trek film, but may let someone else direct it, as he did with Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol (directed by Brad Bird) and will be doing with the fifth M:I film (directed by Christopher McQuarrie).

17. Nerys Myk

So, that's why American Graffiti always seemed like a Star Wars film to me.

18. Christopher

^Not having seen that film, I can't tell whether you're joking or not, but I can see how they could've had points of commonality. But one would be hard-pressed to argue that THX-1138 is in anything remotely resembling the same style as Star Wars.

19. Nerys Myk

Yes, I was joking. Your post got in before mine, which would read better as a joke if it followed Anji's as I planned.

I think there is some commonality in theme between AG and SW ANH. Curt, like Luke needs to leave his home behind to become more than he would be. Though SW would have to be set during one night on Tatooine as Luke and his pals wander Mos Eisley before Luke decides to leave with Ben.

And of course Han Solo shows up to race John Milner. :)

20. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with Saul.

Or as Dr. Spengler would say, "Don't cross the streams. . . . It would be bad. . . . Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."