Political Animals

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by stj, Jul 17, 2012.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The pilot is up on Hulu, for benefit of Breaking Bad fans and others who missed it.

Excellent starring performance from Siguourney Weaver.

But on seeing this, it is no wonder that Sebastian Stan is in this, because this fictional world is very much like Kings. It is plainly directly analogous to real world people, yet it also plainly is not. Weaver is Hillary, divorced from Bill. Ellen Burstyn is a cross between Miz Lillian and Betty Ford. The sons are fictional, as we can tell from the lurid purple they are outlined in. Adrian Pasdar is Obama Lite, in several senses of the word. Carla Gugino is the girl who learns better, a feminist version of that Brock boy who wrote a bio of Hillary.

There's plenty of melodama but the feminist theme is hit hard.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did this thing once and it hurt me.

Put a scar in my personality that still weeps puss now and then.

"Commander in Chief"

Some offence to Geena Davis, but it's no wonder it's taken ten years to make another show about a woman in the White House, and I do like Veep a lot. Veep washed the stink off the subject so that we all could believe and take relief that Commander in Chief was just an awful tv show and that women should not be sent back to their kitchens before history repeats.

Seriously.

Commander in Chief was light weight vanilla awful.

Political Animal I do see a lot more hope with, and it certainly has the power of Kings at its best (Which also had some very low moments and God should have turned up before the final episode.) although Caesar...

At first, I thought that was her Sigorneys dad.

She really doesn't act like your regular great grandmother.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good cast, sub-Sorkin writing, eh. The ratings sucked so it wouldn't survive to another season anyway.

Best part: Bucky Barnes and this foul mouthed grandma swilling Jack Daniels margaritas. Can we just have a show with those two?

Worst part: Ciaran Hinds channeling Foghorn Leghorn.

4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that he reminded me of a caricature of somebody...I say I say I think you've hit the nail on the head.

5. stj

Hinds was written as a combination of Billy Carter and Roger Clinton, instead of as a parallel world Bill Clinton. It was colorful, which can be entertaining. North Carolina accents can vary but Hinds' was more Texan or Floridian, or even hill country, than North Carolinian. Lots of North Carolinians are closer to that softer Virginia accent, and the urban areas are influenced by heavy immigration. And of course a genuine Outer Banks accent would provoke amazement

The worst character was Doug, the "good" son. There's no hint of a real character there yet, but, unlike Hinds, no possibility of entertainment either. His bulimic fiancee, signposted as Young Woman Whose Personality Has Been Repressed by a Male Chauvinist Society, was more interesting.

Ten o'clock Sundays is reserved for Breaking Bad, but so far it's entertaining. Guys making out is still pretty uncommon (so far as I've noticed.) If nothing else it will be interesting to see if Stan gets to play EVIL HOMO again. The worst sign of course is the rah-rah patriotic foreign policy plot. It would be interesting if the journalists were actually spies. But I expect the mediocre Sorkin style tropes to prevail.

6. Guy Gardener

The Full Sorkin is too much.

Maybe what we really always needed was a half Sorkin?

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'd rather have the full Sorkin.

I finally managed to watch this and found it pretty boring at first, but the narrative took up speed and I like the scheming and backstabbing that's going on. They could have done with sticking a few less issues into the pilot (suicide attempt, drug abuse, eating disorder, betrayal, journalistic ethics) and it the show was a bit too in-your-face about the oppression and objectifying of women thing for my taste.

Sigourney Weaver was great. Fake Bill Clinton needs subtitles. I did appreciate their messed-up relationship in the end, though.

I laughed out loud during the elevator scene when the journalist said, "And here I thought for a minute I'd get the I'm sorry speech." :lol:

I've read that this got better reviews than the Newsroom overall which I find surprising because I think the latter is much better written with a much tighter narrative.

8. Guy Gardener

WTF?

This is a 6 episode miniseries?

9. Count Zero

I guess that explains why there were so many plotlines in the first episode.

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I found the first ep really disappointing. The only thing that made it watchable was Sigourney Weaver, who was fantastic.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Their goal was to have it continue as a regular series, though. With the low ratings, however, that's unlikely. Sigourney Weaver can't be cheap.

12. Guy Gardener

Although, upgrade her producer credit into an executive producer credit and she has to pay herself.

It really depends on if she believes in the project, even if the American public doesn't.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That's not how television works, generally. An EP is a senior producer -- not the person in charge of the purse strings. In this case, it looks like the main production company is Warner Horizon Television (a subsidiary of Warner Bros.) and the network is USA (a subsidiary of NBC-Universal). They're the companies funding this project.

14. stj

Caught the second episode, the second time around.

Realized the harsher, less appropriate accent by Hinds should have been a giveaway, Bud Hamilton is modeled largely on LBJ. How stupid of me not to see it right away. Helps understand the Hammond character but the politics aren't right, namely, Hammond doesn't really have them.

Weaver is still compelling, Burstyn/Stan is compelling, Gugino doesn't have any politics other than up with women and Dougie still hasn't given us a handle on the character.

It's only six episodes, worth finishing I think. Wonder why no one tuned in?

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's possible that being on USA -- a cable network known for light and episodic fare -- was a detriment to the series. The mixed reviews probably didn't help.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I did like the first episode (and loved SW) but this weekend's was worse than meh. It won't be missed by the time it's done.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched about 30 minutes and thought it was silly. I love Sigourney, but meh...

18. Guy Gardener

I want a 60 minute homoerotic sexcapade with Sebastian Stan and then we swoop back to that reporter from the first episode "And we kept waiting for some to make a big deal about him being a homo but it never came up. No one cares. It's a non issue."

19. stj

Forgot to ask: Aren't producer credits relevant to residuals?

20. Count Zero

This was pretty bad because the resolution to the Iran thing was totally unbelievable, the writing of the journalist was pretty bad, the storyline with TJ continued to be rather clichéd and I don't believe for a minute Elaine would be so stupid to run against a sitting president belonging to her own party. Also, Bud isn't very credible as a recent President with his sex-crazed and sleazy behaviour. There would have been tons of sexual harrassment suits sinking his campaign.