Plot theory based on trailer and older rumors

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Number One, May 21, 2017.

1. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

On the topic of the plot of Discovery, this is a hope rather than a prediction, but I really, really want the show to strike out with a really good story of its own that has as little as possible to do with anything Trek's done before. No gap filling, no fanwank, no clever "it was Kirk's mum all along!" type twists. Just a great, original story.

I would love that.

Philip Guyott, Thefallguy and Michael like this.
  2. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I was thinking, "You better your circuit you green speciesest Spockophobe."

3. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I don't have enough brain cells on me at the moment to throw any wild speculations out there, but I have wondered if maybe the setting is quite "a decade before Kirk". Like, maybe it's actually more like 13 or 14 years before. I mean, when I think of 2003 or 2004, it's "a decade ago", not actually 13 or 14 years ago, because I'm lazy and don't like math. I kind of feel like maybe we're being too literal by assuming it's 'exactly' 10 years before Kirk, setting it specifically in 2255. Maybe it's "... a decade before Kirk... give or take a couple of years?" I guess at some point you just have to accept that it's only a TV show.

4. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I actually would have preferred it to be in the 2235-2240 time frame. That way it would have a little space to do its own thing, and not upset the diehards with things like uniform changes.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess, based on totally unsubstantiated rumours I read months ago is...

Klingons attack, Captain Georgiou dies and the Shenzhou is lost. But instead of Mike Burnham becoming captain of the surviving crew's new ship (USS Discovery) as Georgiou had wanted, some sod who nobody likes named Lorca is assigned the captaincy. A mission of great import follows (probably some peace thingie to stop the earlier incident ending in full-scale Klingon/Federation war), but Lorca turns out to be the standard TOS Captain Nutcake and Burnham is forced to lead a mutiny and take command to save the day.

You read it here first! Try to act surprised when you see it this fall!:D

Philip Guyott and Gepard like this.
  6. LocutusCrusher

LocutusCrusher Lieutenant Red Shirt

Now, I could be way off, but I'm wondering if DSC could be using a flashback format similar to OUaT and Arrow.

Here's how I'm thinking the Pilot might go: Most of the Present stuff will be in the desert. Just Burnham and Georgiou walking and talking. We keep flashing back to Burnham's first mission on the Shenzhou — the first encounter with the Klingon Sarco Ship. At the end of the episode, they beam aboard the Discovery and meet its crew.

Throughout the series, we will be flashing back to Burnham's time on the Shenzhou, while the "present" events will take place on the Discovery. Some of the crew may also carry over from the Shenzhou. This could even allow them to have "The Cage"-style uniforms, as well as the ones shown in the trailer.

Of course, like I said, this is just a theory, and I could be WAY off. Thoughts?

7. Thefallguy

Thefallguy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I want Captain Lorca to be Andorian. Please!

And thats all I have to say! :biggrin:

ChristopherPike likes this.
  8. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I WANT A FANWANK

9. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

Watched the trailer, I wonder if the Shenzhou encounter with the Klingon inspired the Starfleet academy to made the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

10. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Kirk would have already been to the academy by this point, I think...

11. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds good, but for me it depends how far the new show's producers want to put their own stamp on them with a redesign. Enterprise give us a substantial improvement over what came before, and with better proportions, animation etc to the antenna without the design looking silly. I'd be worried about them making the whole race incapable of growing the white hair because they feel it's too human, or some other deal breaker that changes their signature look. We're fortunate the Vulcans have remained mostly unscathed for so long really.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  12. Kore

Kore Ensign Red Shirt

Based on the trailer, perhaps in lieu of the two ships fighting, they agree to single combat to determine whether or not the Federation ship can leave? The main character could push for this and ultimately lose, causing the destruction of her ship and crew. That could explain why she doesn't become a captain herself and why she's XO of the Discovery. She could be a character plagued by guilt?

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ Doesn't explain though how Doug Jones' Saru ends up on the Discovery, too.

14. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Right after the "senses death" scene he skedaddles out of there in shuttle :D

15. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe the Shenzhou starts in the JJ verse, pursues the Sarcophagus ship into a black hole, and pops out badly damaged in the Prime universe, where everything matches The Cage and Discovery is waiting.

16. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Any chance they pull an "Interstellar" and time passes slower closer to that black hole in the trailer? The ancient Klingons go there, perform a ceremony, and by the time they leave, hundreds of years have passed? So because Burnham visits the sarcophagus vessel on her own, time passes on the Shenzou. By the time Burnham gets back, years have passed and the Discovery is sent to investigate and find her? So during the season, we see what happens to the Shenzou as they wait for her, while also following the Discovery trying to figure out what happened to them, so we the viewer see the past events as the future investigation happen?

Neumann likes this.
  17. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to think we are going to see something like SGU where the Discovery is not originally a Starfleet ship but is somehow found and then possibly after the Shenzou gets badly damaged they take parts from the Shenzou to "fix" Discovery and merge crews. It could explain the unusual look of Discovery if it wasn't originally made by Starfleet.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, it looks like all the other Starfleet ships.

19. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

:barf:

20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have to be covered up, Spock says there is no record of any Starfleet mutiny in "The Tholian Web".