piracy discussion - new series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Dec 29, 2015.

1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Where I am, which is all the way across the globe, I don't have much choice in the matter. Sci-fi viewership is extremely low over here. The only legal way to view it is to wait for 3-4 years to catch it when it airs at 3am in the morning on public television, or buy a $70 per month cable package.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

15 years ago, my cable package used to be 30 dollars a month, from which all I got was 1 rerun of Stargate a week, which was okay because I hadn't seen the old episodes at that point, and figured out that I was still making money since it cost 30 dollars to buy a store bought vhs tape of Stargate with 2 episodes on the tape.

Wow.

I am old, and boring.

Shalashaska likes this.
  3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And where we are in the US, paying $70/month for cable is a standard. If the show is available on cable and you pirate it because you don't want to subscribe/pay that is the definition of piracy.

fireproof78 and BillJ like this.
  4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The market has moved on from cable (at least for the younger generation). I don't know anyone in their 20's or early 30's who has a cable subscription. It's all streaming for us. If a show is only available at 8pm on Tuesday night with 33% of the airtime devoted to commercials and requires a $70 a month commitment, well, that's not going to happen. I'll pirate it without a second thought. It's past time for the networks to adjust to the 21st century.

5. AviTrek

Hi, nice to meet you. You now no someone in that age range with cable. I can also tell you a lot of my friends have cable. The market is evolving, but cord cutters are still a distinct minority.

And when a show is explicitly not going to cable, and then complaining about the subscription cost as a justification for piracy is a short way of saying, I demand everything for free and will steal what I want to avoid paying for it.

6. Kelthaz

I agree with you here. If CBS All Access was available in Canada I'd subscribe.

7. Guy Gardener

Subscribe. All 12 episodes come out in one day. Watch all thirteen episodes in one day. Unsubscribe.

Netflix doesn't care if you share your passcodes with most of your extended family and close friends. Will CBS give a damn when they notice that the same logins are being used by 30 unique households simultaneously?

8. AdmiralBruno

AdmiralBruno Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The government steals money all the time. They demand you pay for it even if you do not agree with what much of it goes to.

Why can they do that, hm?

And the fact that governments waste resources on digital piracy is pretty disgraceful when the planet is being destroyed and species are being driven to extinction from human exploitation. Apparently no one learned the lessons of ST IV.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is gibberish.

Jerikka Dawn and Apparition B5 like this.
  10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What else is new with him?

11. Guy Gardener

Bruno is unhappy that the proportion of the taxpayers money annually is being used to pay the 10s of thousands of FBI agents solely tasked with ending video and audio piracy, is probably a bad investment compared to other more humanitarian causes.

I think he believes that "we" personally and individually should decide how "our" taxes are spent and not the government "we" elected to manage "our" country for "us".

12. AdmiralBruno

Over $6 billion a year alone is spent on Congressional costs including all the incompetent people ya'all keep electing, their awful staffs, a corrupt police force that has 2,200+ "Officers" while the entire DCPD had less than 4,000.... a lot of money spent on idiots who bury this country in over $18 trillion of debt... so yeah..something is very broken

13. Guy Gardener

You're arguing for fiscal responsibility and smaller government.

It's easy to do that without sounding like a drunk person trying to figure out who stole his shadow.

Sector 7 and BillJ like this.
  14. AviTrek

Nope, The episodes come out one at a time on a weekly basis. Although if you want to wait 3 months for all the episodes to come out then you could watch everything in the 1 week free trial.

Netflix limits the number of simultaneous streams to 1-4 depending on your plan. They don't cancel plans if you're abusing it, but you can bet they notice and they will crack down if/when it makes sense financially.

15. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I love this "it's OK to steal because...." crap. Yeah, good for you if you are a freaking thief. As far as I'm concerned, if whatever it is I want isn't available to stream by either subscription to a service or just buying the streaming rights, then I won't see it. I don't like to think of myself as a thief, it's not a flattering self image.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. Kelthaz

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're American, right? Yeah, I think that's pretty likely. You don't have the right to be so judgmental when you have so many incredible streaming services like Hulu and Netflix to watch shows.

Try being a Canadian (or even better someone from a third world country) and paying the same price for Netflix as tens of millions of Americans and getting 1/10 of the content. So you then decide to subscribe to a VPN, doubling your cost, just to get the same service as people 50 miles south of you. And then they decide to crackdown on VPNs, despite being perfectly legal, because reasons. And you don't even want to know what we Canadians have to go through to get HBO Now. These actions may be legal, but how are they fair? Seriously, come up with one good reason why I'm not allowed to watch content on Hulu. Just one.

It's frustrating. I'm not exactly some anarchist that Bruno here seems to be. I'm offering money to watch these shows, but the companies are refusing to take my money because I'm not American. I'm not going to feel guilty for torrenting something that I'm being prevented from watching for no good reason. If those companies want my money they know how to get it.

Also, piracy is not theft. They're different things.

Jerikka Dawn likes this.
  17. Guy Gardener

It's not okay to steal.

Stealing is wrong.

But, ### it, y'know?

m.lp.ql.m likes this.
  18. AdmiralBruno

Things cost enough as it is. It is a tough world full of cruel people

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

How, exactly?

Phoenix219 likes this.
  20. Guy Gardener

No physical substance is taken that will deprive the "owner" of stock/resources that he or she could otherwise sell.

What CBS is being deprived of if I download the episodes is my willingness to take out a subscription to CBS All Access to view their media. If I chose to never watch their Star Trek series legally or illegally, then I am still depriving them of subscription fees to CBS All Access that I am not paying.

Logically it is equally illegal for me not to pay them a subscription fee if I do not watch their television series, since not paying their fee has exactly the same impact and effect on CBS' bottom line whether I have stolen their media or I have not stolen their media.

What I download or do not download has no effect on these people because I do not have more money, and there is no money I can move around. Until my parents die, I will never be able to afford cable.

CBS wants to murder my parents.

Murder is not cool.

Murderers are not modern heroes.

Stop it.

Be decent.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Phoenix219 likes this.