PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Does your grandfather sell his art? Does he have a website?

2. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

He does and has sold some, but only at gallery showings. Websites are a technology beyond my grandfather I'm afraid. He did publish a book a few years back in which he tells the story of his past, present and future life. In it there are a lot of pictures of his paintings, but it's only available in in Swedish and is quite the hefty book.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any particular reason why everyone's wearing some shade of purple?

4. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

It's a Swedish thing. They're a bit weird. ;P

It looks just like my town actually! Southern part of Norway.

5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I swear to you, total fucking coincidence. Dad's was blue but sorta got turned purple in the camera. Mom wears a lot of purple, it's one of her colors.

And yeah, it's in Stenungsund on the west coast, not far from Norway!

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Yeah, innocence is a common misconception as a result of cuteness, innocence and stupidity. For some reason a lot of people seem to be surprised the first time they hear me talk about anything to do with...well anything interesting: physics, brains, history, sci-fi. One guy straight up said to me, "I wouldn't have expected someone like you to know anything about physics." What did you expect me to know about, fuckwad, reality TV and facials?

I didn't say that, but I should have.

It's like the mere act of wearing pink automatically means one is an idiot.

And you were an ADORABLE baby!

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I always wanted to be tall, dark, and broody, but I lack the tall, the dark, and especially the broody. So I settled for short, grizzled and snarky.

Well, I am kinda cute, I have dimples, but nobody ever though I was innocent. :lol:

8. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

^On the other hand you look like an Italian Alan Rickman, if I recall correctly, so you win anyways.

Preconceptions in regards to ones personality and interests are also frighteningly prevalent when it comes to ones profession. I work as a sort of combined handyman/painter/carpenter and people are fucking baffled when I know things about science, mythology and culture. I mean jeez, just because someone works as something it doesn't mean that person is only that thing.

Also, if we're doing cute babies now, it's about time I dug up this one of me again:

[​IMG]

9. BennieGamali

Iguana: I would. If the devil had dimples i would think he was just misunderstood and innocent. It's a bit annoying because it makes it very easy for bedimpled people to trick me.

Also! Yes! Baby picture! So cute!

Me and my niese. She's a bit older now. She's learned how to call for my dog. ^^
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Is there some huge "friendly" rivalry between Norway and Sweden? I've always wondered this.

I grew up in Minnesota. The whole north-central part of the state is dominated by Norwegian and Swedish immigrants. And they were always hugely competitive. The rivalries between the schools during the hockey tournament are legendary.

And a lot of the towns/cites in that area have either a Norwegian or Swedish flag on their "Welcome to" signs--the only place I've ever seen anything like that.

The irony, of course, that we Finns just lump them all together and call them "dumb Swedes." (It's the lutefisk.) And tell Sven, Ole, and Lena jokes.

Yes. You should have.

Sometimes I wonder if people realize they're being total douchebags when they say crap like that. I suppose that since the [popular] media continues to promote this myth that intelligence and beauty are somehow contradictory, that it's okay to think the same.

Funny thing though, like all the women here on the TBBS, every woman I know who is really intelligent, and interesting as you say, is also really beautiful. Given the sheer number, I can't be the only person who knows others (because the stereotype does extend to men too) like this. So why haven't more people figured out the two are mutually exclusive?

That one might be true. I wear pink often. :ouch:

That brings up another point about silly preconceptions and assumptions. I like to wear pink and purple. So, of course, people often just assume I'm gay. Because the color of a person's cloths says so much about him...

That's probably a good thing. The, tall, dark, broody thing is so overdone. Besides, snarky is awesome.

Dawww.... :adore:

11. BennieGamali

Hah! Fantastic! The feud caries on!
    And yes. There is rivalry. Mostly friendly. I would advise you to never call a Norwegian a Swede to their face though. You might get punched. Not sure if it works that way the other way round. Some british guy visiting my friend in Norway asumed I was Swedish once. It made no sense. I'm not blond, don't use botox and I was not half naked.

12. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Maybe you were drunk?

13. CorporalClegg

You should have called him Australian.

14. BennieGamali

I wasn't! Maybe I looked drunk though. :p

Or French.

15. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Oh my goodness, SO CUTE! You know what I love? How everything in that picture matches perfectly.

I see your Adorable Baby Picture, and raise you Baby tsq, on a freezing Seattle Easter:

[​IMG]
    In this picture you remind me a bit of my older sister (the other little girl in the picture above). Here she is with my youngest nephew, Cormac:

[​IMG]

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Those are such sweet and cool photos, Emher.

17. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I spent most of yesterday at Nationals Park with about 500 other handbell ringers. We rang the national anthem before the game! Here's the video first:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUK_wdZ1V5A

I'm somewhere under the GEICO sign. :p

Some photos:
    Just a screen grab of the performance from youtube:
    [​IMG]

Rehearsal:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They made a slight error in the T-Shirt...it's the Miami Marlins now. :p
    [​IMG]

It was a good time, and the Nats won!

18. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

for you breaking bad fans, pardon the lower bit, was holding the little car wash thing they give you to turn in before you get your car

[​IMG]

19. CorporalClegg

That's the one on Menaul right?

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

not technically Menaul I think, there's this little branch road that bridges Menaul and Eubank, but yes, the one on Menaul