Picard's wisdom:

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Discofan, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I rarely agree with what Picard says in the series, that is when there is something to agree or disagree with. I often find it both pompous and arrogant but what he says in "Generations" REALLY takes the cake.

"I'd like to think of time as a companion who's here to remind us to cherish...etc"

Hello!!! Time is the one DOING IT to us!!!

I mean seriously! It's like saying: "I'd like to think of a thief as a friend who's here to remind us that losing your money sucks" or "... disease as a thing to remind us that being in good health is nice"...

Talk about indigestible bullshit as for his remark to Soran "It's our mortality that defines us... ...the truth of our existence"

What does this horse manure even mean?

Who wrote this stuff?

Qonundrum and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  2. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

When one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable, like... like old leather. And finally... becomes so familiar that one can't ever remember feeling any other way.

3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not for everyone ;)

4. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

See what I mean? The guy is like a walking-talking magic eight ball.

And he doesn't even have the saving grace of being funny, like Martok: "When a father and son do not speak, that means there's trouble between them."

ChallengerHK likes this.
  5. NCC-73515

It's like most pieces of literature and art - some people connect to it and find some deeper meaning in it, others don't :shrug:

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard's point is that if humans were immortal then a number of the things they currently value would have less or no value.

I've made more of an effort to spend time with my parents because I know that at some point they or I will no longer exist (at least in our current forms), and I will miss them (and presumably they will miss me) when I or they no longer exist (at least in our current forms).

Qonundrum and NCC-73515 like this.
  7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

What makes you think your parents will go first? My mother has already outlived two of my brothers and one sister in law.

8. DonIago

I specifically worded my post to include the possibility that they won't go first, so I'm not sure why you think I'm making that assumption.

ED-209 and Tim Thomason like this.
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Picard’s statements on mortality are amongst the best elements of the film, and absolutely resonated with me.
    :shrug:

NCC-73515, Admiral Archer and DonIago like this.
  10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I think I was distracted by your "current form" metaphor...

11. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

Of all of the issues I have with Picard in Generations, a generally well delivered line about cherishing the time one has is not really one of them.

NCC-73515 and Vger23 like this.
  12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I wonder what those issues could be...

13. JaxsBrokenHeart

Well for me a lot of his story just doesn't feel like it comes together. The death of Robert and Rene seems cheap and mean spirited, his Nexus fantasy feels catered to a characterization largely from this film than the TV series, and he feels fairly overshadowed in the third act by Kirk.

I don't mind the concept of Picard lamenting certain choices in his life (that's why Tapestry was so good) and/or having a parallel to Soran in being tempted by fantasy after a tragedy, but the execution simply doesn't work. Stewart to his credit acts his heart out and that's why the scene with Troi and the ending with Riker still hits some emotional notes. Its just a pity its in service to a story so desperately in need of further drafts.

14. DonIago

I'm still annoyed that Picard's Nexus Fantasy Sequence involves some woman we've never seen before and a version of Rene at odds with the one we met previously.

Qonundrum likes this.
  15. NCC-73515

In the DVD comments, they say that they regret having Picard cry, and if they'd do it again, he wouldn't cry cause he's the Captain. I think having him cry was the right decision cause it makes it more powerful.

Vger23 and ChallengerHK like this.
  16. JaxsBrokenHeart

Given that All Good Things ended with him finally joining the crew for a poker game with a subtext that he was finally willing to open up to them, I'd say the crying scene with Troi is actually a good continuation of that, and one of the few signs of real development for Picard in the movies.

Vger23 and NCC-73515 like this.
  17. DonIago

You didn't think that his driving a dune buggy around in NEM was indicative of character development? :p

Qonundrum and JaxsBrokenHeart like this.
  18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Rene played by an actor six years younger than the previous one... four years later. :wtf:

Kor

Qonundrum and DonIago like this.
  19. NCC-73515

It was Picard's dream-Rene, so he simply remembered him when he was younger and totally forgot his face (or didn't like it XD)

Kor likes this.
  20. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I also find it odd that in their dream worlds both Picard and Kirk have their uniforms on. Picard should have been in festive clothes, maybe a tuxedo given the "ambiance" and Kirk in casual clothes suited for someone chopping wood in his... mountain home.