PIC S3 Ships & Tech

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by NCC-73515, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

304 notes:

- Picard is ambushed "five years ago" obstensibly by a bunch of cadets (in the closed captioning), but they're wearing the leftover non-cadet uniforms from Picard S1 albeit without any rank pips. Perhaps they're on their way to get their commissions and graduate? Or they are ensigns and junior officers who decided to go to Guinan's and for whatever reason left their rank at the door?

- Some time between the return of Voyager in 2378 and when Picard apparently left the Enterprise by 2381, there was a Hirogen incursion into the Alpha Quadrant. They did have access to both Voyager's tech and probably whoever built that ancient comms array, and the ability to build a huge holo-ship tens of thousands of light years from where they got the tech in the first place, so it's not unreasonable to assume they figured out some transwarp, slipstream or whatever tech at some point. Or they just fell into a wormhole like normal people would.

- The Titan's bridge has been completely repaired since the attacks a couple hours ago, including the side consoles that Shaw took out on his way over the railing. The floating forward stations also continue floating around depending on the shot.

- The 'crew quarters' set seen as Seven's cabin last week (and the "Lower Decks" cabin in 301) pulls triple duty this week as Ensign Foster's quarters, Captain Shaw's, and whatever room Picard and Riker have their heart-to-heart. As Foster's quarters, the windows have shelves plugged in, suggesting a location further in from the rim.

- Also, double checking Seven's quarters, it doesn't have a bed where Foster has his, though the desk is in the same position. It's really dark, but it MIGHT be that Foster's bed can retract into the wall. That, or Seven's quarters are just bigger and have another room adjacent with a bed. Or what, are we saying that Seven sleeps standing u-OHHHHHHH...

- As the holodeck doors open the first time, we see the wall behind it become the familiar holodeck grid before the arch appears. How does this work? The grid shouldn't be there if that's where the actual door is.

- Picard knew that the holodeck program of 10-F had a bottle of Chateau Picard behind the bar. I'm guessing he didn't bring an update along with him, so he may have been familiar with the program from some other time and/or knew when it was scanned into a program (assuming that's how it works).

- Behind Picard at the bar is a picture of a TOS Andorian in a red shirt. Or someone putting on a cosplay of a TOS Andorian in a red shirt, because it fits even worse than the costumes on those "Cadets" earlier on. Those rank braids look halfway up his forearms!

- Jack's story about treating an Andorian antenna dovetails with them being about to grow back, per ENT.

- We again re-establish that Changelings need to periodically liquify, but at least it's not a certain number of hours like Odo was limited to. Also, this Changeling's bucket is of a similar design to Odo's. Was Odo found with his bucket in the Denorios Belt? Or did this Changelin just like the design as all Changelings just happen to look like Dr. Mora?

- Okay, assuming Vadic is a Changeling, why does she have to cut off her hand to use the communications bowl? I'm guessing that this comms system is not tech-based, or maybe it's a tech-assisted way for Changelings to Link after a fashion?

- I think it's great that the people who made the Portal system have the courtesy to stamp "DAYSTRON INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED ROBOTICS" on their work. But.... Robotics?

- What setting does the security Changeling have his phaser on, that he can shoot his partner in the back and "only" kill here with a burn on her uniform to show for it, and then whip around and shoot his own bucket and vaporize it? And similarly, what setting is Seven's on that she can shoot his gun arm clean off, and subsequent shots only burn his uniform before he gooes into the wall?

- The holodecks are (now) run off a small independent power system in the event that the proverbial band needs to play while the ship goes down. I guess that's a better explanation than holodeck energy being incomprehensibly incompatible from that used by the rest of the ship, per early Voyager seasons.

- Picard and Jack Sr. disable the Stargazer's comms for more than TEN HOURS while they were away enjoying the carnal delights of Argelius IV? And no one notices?!

- I'm going to remember Picard's horndog-powered piloting skills the next time I re-watch TNG "Booby Trap" or "In Theory". But... Wouldn't this sort of flying require someone who can do Titan's Turn (sic) in their sleep?

- We'll be arguing for a while as to how a brand new ship that Shaw's been in command of for five years has a nacelle mechanical workings that's twenty years old and apparently stripped from a completely different ship and nacelle design. But hey, that's why we nerds are here. Perhaps this means that Shaw served on a Luna-class ship in years past?

- Transferring all power from life support on this ship also turns the lights off for some reason. Even the alert klaxon winds down. At least the grav plating is still spun up!

Mark

2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and still incompatible power :)

I thought the same thing. Riker should've been flying with the manual joystick...

And inertial dampers still worked too. More incompatible power systems ;)

Ogrebear likes this.
  3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume Seven still uses a regeneration alcove.

4. Mark_Nguyen

If so, it's a great little detail that goes unmentioned and barely even seen. More please. :)

Quick additionals:

- The bar scenes open with a close-in on the Enterprise-C model from Eaglemoss. Later on though once Jack Jr. is gone, we see a Fat One on the bartop.

- Shaw rolls up to the bar with a crutch and a cigar. Where did the latter come from - did he bring it or find one there? Either way there's a convenient ashtray at his seat. For that matter, at Picard's table in the flashback there could be some sort of futuristic glass bong or hookah.

- Regarding the Constance's "Life deck" story, there's only one pod available for fifty people. Where are these fifty people from? Are they all crewmen or people of lower rank?

- There are ten seats in the one life pod left on the Constance. This puts it somewhere between the 4-6 seater ASRVs envisioned in the TNG era under hatches (though we've never seen the inside in canon to confirm), and the larger boats jettisoned from the main shuttlebays of the Miranda-class Saratoga (and probably other ships) at Wolf 359. Not that there seems to be much of a standard for this, but given the Constance's relative age they could be using decades-old ASRVs from a different era altogether.

Mark

Ogrebear, Markonian and Mike McDevitt like this.
  5. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I got the sense it took Shaw and his engineering buddies a while to get to the life pods. That there weren't enough seats suggests either some were destroyed or some were ejected less than full in the panic.

6. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is this the first time "Life Deck" is mentioned for Star Trek?

7. Mark_Nguyen

Yep. Sounds like a new writer wanted to add some terminology to the Canon.

Mark

Markonian and blssdwlf like this.
  8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That's a vintage photo of our own Ian "Therin of Andor" McLean. A number of photos on the wall of the L.A. 10 Forward are of fans in costume.

I did think "Booby Trap" was probably the more apropos precedent (I wonder if there's some kind of anti-fanservice thing by mostly referencing things that weren't in actual episodes, I'd rather a more even split), and I was expecting Picard to actually take the helm, but I guess him sitting in the big chair again was the more important moment.

I was expecting Shaw to make a shitty remark about how, for some mysterious reason, the Borg knew exactly where to fire to trap the surviving crew on the ship so they could be easily rounded up for assimilation.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Markonian, Unicron, blssdwlf and 2 others like this.
  10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I tend to think at this point it's a deliberate nod to Odo's bucket on DS9, even though it seems weird in context since that series implied the bucket was a unique item. Odo even stopped using it (IIRC) after he had the "furniture" in his quarters that was designed to let him experiment with shapeshifting.

For my part, I read that scene as if Vadic was a normal organic who just had a Changeling "hand" grafted onto her, although that might not be an accurate assessment. Terry Matalas tweeted that apparently she and the Shrike crew are actually Changelings. We'll have to see how that develops.

The idea of an independent system makes a bit more sense than the VOY description of the holodecks being conveniently incompatible. But still a silly idea, in my own opinion. :rommie:

They probably spammed the comms with memes, like Captain Kirk describing his rock fetish. :biggrin:

Picard's Horndog will be my new nerdy Trek band. ;)

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Or cosplay is a thing even in the Trek universe. Guinan puts up Starfleet fan photos. :)

Ronald Held likes this.
  12. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

indeed. In fact cosplaying as a Starfleet officer using a not obviously fake uniform might be a crime, henceforth the badly-fitting uniforms with nonsensical insignia!

Ronald Held likes this.
  13. Mark_Nguyen

Rom was afraid Nog would get in trouble for wearing a Garak-approved uniform, which should be DISTURBINGLY accurate.

Mark

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Constance…nice name…
    I need to get AI to do Con-ship names…

Clash of the Titans…

15. Count

Count Commander Red Shirt

I still don't get the idea of, "if we put 20 year old parts into another ship, it makes the other ship brand spanking new" concept.

By that logic you may as well have the Enterprise-F still banging around and not retired. Or the OG Voyager instead of the Voyager-B.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I guess we just have to accept that "refit" now also encompasses any ship which uses (a significant amount of?) parts from a previous ship. :shrug:

17. Mark_Nguyen

18. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, during Discovery season 3 there was the discussion if the Voyager-J, which is officially still intrepid class, is in fact a refit of the original Voyager…

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I myself do not buy that nonsensical opinion.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fine by me.

I will be curious to see more of that ship class. Always liked the USS INTREPID so I welcome it's inclusion in the series.

137th Gebirg likes this.