Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

He was amazing in The Master as Lancaster Dodd (L. Ron Hubbard) and should have won an Oscar for that role, and he was great as the antagonist in the third Mission: Impossible movie I can't believe that he's gone.:wtf:

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You could argue as well that being a celebrity gives you access to the kind of rehabilitation facilities the average person could never hope to get support from. I realise the flipside to this is that money and celebrity ensure you have easy access to whatever you desire as well, and I guess for someone on the wagon temptation must always be just a phone call away and it’s a shame he stayed clean and sober for so long only to fall again.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Money may give you access to all possible resources, but it doesn't ensure that they will work, and it doesn't help you get into the headspace you need to realize you need help, or to believe that getting help will work in the first place. When you're tortured by your own mind, it's easy to believe there's no escape, except that high you remember making you feel so good and invincible before. That's part of why it's so hard to stop, once you've started. Nothing takes the pain away so quickly as a high, and you never forget it.

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Drugs are an equal opportunity destroyer.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thirded.

However well-meaning one may be, it's just as unwarranted, to hold people in the general public accountable for the private lives of celebrities, as it is delusional to believe that people in the general public could influence their private lives. The privilege of influencing celebrities' private lives belongs more to the people in personal contact with them.

---

Twister was on TV the other night and Hoffman's performance stood out to me. Coincidentally, I found myself wishing for the first time that we could have found out more about Dusty, due to the way Hoffman sold the character. Hoffman seemed to me to have been underutilized in the film, though obviously it's meant to be Bill and Jo's story.

Looking over his filmography, it seems pretty obvious that I have to add Capote to my list of films to see.

Rest In Peace.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The general public funds the paparazzo-celebrity culture. The money comes from us. Don't buy it and it won't sell, but that's unrealistic because people will usually find a way to get what they want. In other words, it's hopeless; people will always buy into that vapid stupidity because the bell curve of constructive intellect says there are enough people to buy it. Expect more of this forever in the same way that just because there are police doesn't mean crime will ever be eradicated. Statistics will prevail until human nature is abolished.

This happens every day to a lot of people. They use drugs; they decline; they die. The only reason this is shocking is because it is a celebrity and makes the news. Every other death like it is just as tragic; you just don't hear about it. If you heard about every death just like this one, the actor would be lost in the numbers and not shocking at all. But if you had never heard of the actor, it's possible he'd live a longer life without the fame and fortune and the vampiric celebrity machine and gossiping locusts that come along with it.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Robert Downey Jr. once did an interview saying he didn't stop doing drugs because he started hating them, he fucking loves them. He was doing the drugs because they work so well and only quit because he knew if he didn't he would end up dead.

Point is, don't start doing drugs because you won't want to stop.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Probably been mentioned before but Owning Mahowny is an fantastic film that many people don't know about but PSH gives an amazing performance in it. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Anyways, I'll just leave this here:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW0cLM9Kj1Q[/yt]

:lol:

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Downey is one of the great success stories of all time when it comes to celebrity rehab. It took a long, long time for the guy to finally get his shit together and kick his habits but when he finally did so he committed himself to sobriety and has experienced a tremendous career renaissance thanks to it. He's clean, focused both professionally and personally and seems like a happy guy. It's the comeback you wish they could all have.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

11. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

PSH first started drugs many years before he became famous, and then he was sober during the vast majority of his period as a well-known actor. In addition, he was never really paparazzi-bait the way some of them are. He said many times that until his Oscar he could usually walk down the street in New York and no one would recognize him.

I see pretty much no correlation between his drug abuse and his fame.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Er... you aren't "thirding" my remarks there. I'm very much willing to believe the paparazzo-celebrity culture inflicts real and serious harm on certain celebrities, especially such younger ones as your Biebers and Lohans, but I don't think that really applies in this case. I doubt Hoffman was being hounded every waking moment, and unable to have any degree of normal human interaction.

... Call it hometown pride, but in the wake of Ebert's passing, there's a strong case to be made that the San Francisco Chronicle's Mick Lasalle is America's finest active film critic, and his piece on Hoffman is a beautiful one:

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm sorry for his friends and family.

That said, I'm tired of the hand wringing for the tragedies of celebrities and not for people in other walks of life who suffer from addiction and mental health issues. At least the former have the resources to seek help.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite my indicating agreement with what you'd said up to that point, I did not intend my additional words, made subsequently to yours, to be construed as a statement that you would necessarily agree with, so in case they're in order, apologies for not making it crystal clear that I was going on to make my own point.

So as not to feed debate of something that's off-topic in this thread, I'll not defend what I said in here.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, and no apology needed. :)

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

A local (Toronto) tribute to Hoffman from Blog TO about his playing of a character based on a local Toronto figure,Brian Molony:

That time Philip Seymour Hoffman was a Toronto crook

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8mh8e8L_c[/yt]

[​IMG]

17. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, that little throw away role in Twister he managed to turn into something special, something that you remembered. Same with the small part in Almost Famous and (smallish part in) Boogie Nights.

Actors who can give you what is on the written page are a dime a dozen. Hoffman was one of those guys who would create a character, and then interpret his "role" in the script through the character he created.There aren't many who can do this.

Astonishing talent. RIP.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And a very early episode of Law & Order, which (IIRC) was PSH's first role.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I've said for a long time that Toby Jones looked a lot more like Truman Capote, but Hoffman was Truman Capote - and though both films are terrific the edge has to go to the actor who made you believe you were not only looking at Capote but were listening to him speak to you.

That was Hoffman's great talent: the character underneath the skin.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Watching "Twister" right now and am at the scene where Dusty explains to Melissa how Bill got the nickname "The Extreme" and, man it's just fascinating how much he put into such a fairly small role. He's vastly more memorable in this than Hunt, Paxton or any of the other characters. Just a truly great actor. Man.

And honestly, it gets ragged on a bit anymore and I can certainly see why but this movie has a charm to it for me as someone who was once a storm spotter and still am a weather enthusiast. Lots of fun in this movie and not only an incredible score that was the first CD I ever bought, that I still have and still enjoy but also a great sound track.