Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Wow. RIP. The guy was a great actor.

Hopefully they have enough footage of him for Mockingjay 1 and 2. It would be a shame if they have to recast one of his last major roles.

2. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just can't believe this. His death gave me the same instant shock as James Gandolfini's death. I've always considered Philip Seymour Hoffman to be one of the best actors of all time. I've seen many of his films. Synedoche, New York, Charlie Wilson's War, Mission Impossible 3, The Savages, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. An absolute memorable delight in all of them. Now I won't be seeing much of that in the future. The thought of that both saddens and angers me.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

RIP. Very sad. We're the same age so 46 is way too young to go.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh... yeah. Drugs drive people to drug abuse. I'm all for reining in our paparazzo-celebrity culture, but to implicate the general public in any way for those two deaths is ludicrous.

5. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

That's sad about PSH. It will be interesting to see what they do with Mockingjay 1 & 2.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:(

*No Words* just :(

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Shocking news, a great actor. But for me, he'll always be "Dusty" from the movie "Twister."

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnON-J8HHaE[/yt]

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

According to Lionsgate he only had seven days of filming left on Mockingjay, so I imagine they'll be able to work around that.

I imagine those movies will be dedicated to him.

Edit: Apparently he was sober from 1989 until relapsing last year.

9. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I just read an article that said:

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

A very good actor who fell prey to his demons. It's a shame to lose someone in that manner.

RIP.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

PSH was one of my favorite actors, the one you go out of your way to catch something he's in. I once drove from Northern New Jersey to Conneticut to catch his movie Love Liza because that was the only place it was playing in the north east. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. He was so good in so many things, he truly felt like the guy standing in for you in the movie. He will be missed!

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Man, this is a huge shock. He's such a fantastic actor, and his performances brought out the best in any material, from drama to action to comedy. It's always a shame to lose someone in the prime of their life. He will be missed. :(

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

That was the first movie I saw him in. I always enjoyed the character but never registered the actor's name ... years later, I threw my Twister DVD on, shortly after seeing Capote. When I realize that both characters were played by the same actor, I was floored.

He had range.

He will be missed.

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I'm just heartbroken over this. He was such a huge talent; everything I saw him, he was good---no, more than good, GREAT. He made so-so films good and good films wonderful. It's a such a huge loss and a damn waste. :(

15. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Sad news. I just saw him recently in Catching Fire and thought he was great. RIP. :(

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:( :( :(

:weep: :wah: :weep:

This is truly shocking and devastating. I was out shopping earlier when I saw the CNN notification on my phone. :( News like this never ceases to make me sad. He was a great actor and will be remembered for many of his outstanding films, like Capote and Doubt.

R.I.P.

17. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Indeed. That movie nailed the tone and interactions perfectly, and he played that character perfectly.

My father was involved in a HAM radio club when I was growing up. In every one of the groups there was always a "dusty" type character. Watching that movie always reminds me of those guys.

When I heard of his passing today, twister was the first roll of his I thought of.

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn. Had to learn about this while travelling. He always struck me as a rather calm and domineering actor with a good sense of control, and a great selection of roles. Word lost another great one :(

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

May he rest in peace. He is another victim of the drug epidemic.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm going to need to watch "Twister" at some point in the next couple of days. It's amazing to watch him in it and see where he's at (was at) now. I mean, honestly, you watch "Dusty" and you don't think that actor will amount to anything. Playing a stoner, goofball storm chaser to Truman Capote? Quite the leap.