Paramount apparently still doesn't get it...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by IRW Bloodwing, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A little more that that
    [​IMG]
    With these guys they were going for alien, exotic and a little threatening'

[​IMG]
    These two look you dad's friends or a Folk duo from the 60s

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't find that a winner/loser combo but that's just me. Again, if people can focus on the parts they enjoy I find that Trek gets a lot more fun. But, that's me, and a hard lesson I had to learn with TNG.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

If Paramount relied upon this logic, no one would have any new Trek to watch, regardless of “flavour”.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I’m not seeing any more differences than if I look at four different humans. They are all clearly supposed to be TOS Klingons, as opposed to TMP Klingons or DSC Klingons.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  5. Nerys Myk

The Kor and Kang make up is different than the Koloth and Kras make up. The darker skin. The bushy up swept eye brows. Kor's eyebrows are half way up his forehead and Kang's are headed toward his temples. :lol: Koloth and Kras are just run of the mill humans in Klingon uniforms. Take away the uniform and there's nothing to make them stand out. IIRC, Phillips or someone said they had forgotten what the Klingon make up entailed when they did TTWT.

nightwind1 and CorporalCaptain like this.
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

My point is that they are still human-looking, despite whatever makeup and eyebrows they have. Not like the bumpy forehead versions or the DSC ones, however you’d like to describe them.

7. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see your point, but remember in this case the source material itself has been reimagined and re-conceptualised within the comics themselves over the decades. Captain America was a WWII strip long before it was a Marvel property, but they've aged the character, they've had him change his name at points or even had other characters take up the shield. The Hulk is another example of a one-note character who has existed been tweaked over the years (Red Hulk, Grey Hulk, Smart Hulk etc.). Aside from a few side-gags there then Thor's original alter-ego has been dropped from the movies as well.

It is important to retain the core values of something in order to preserve what's special about it, but it's also important to attempt to push a given thing in different directions whilst maintaining those values. I don't think Miles Morales is any less of a Spider-Man than Peter Parker, even though both have different struggles. The core of 'teenager going through growing pains' remains, whilst everything else is mutable.

8. Nerys Myk

My point is and remains
    As noted by Robert Justman
    and Ruth Berman
    I never said a thing about them not looking human, just alien and exotic,

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That’s nice. TOS Klingons still looked like humans.

10. Nerys Myk

It's like you didn't read a thing in my post. Oh well, shall we jump to the part where you insult me and get admonished by the mods?

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  11. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

cal888 likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Yes

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why does it matter?

Ianburns252, SolarisOne and Ovation like this.
  14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I read it. It had no bearing on what I was talking about. And whatever issue you have with me isn’t my problem.

16. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The changes to the Enterprise in SNW in terms of both exterior and interior are nothing compared to the changes wrought in TMP. The Enterprise of TMP is irreconcilable with the original, but it gets a pass. Why? Because we're used to it. Likewise the uniforms in TMP. That movie is a 100% visual reboot that doesn't even attempt to look like TOS. At least SNW is playing in the same ballpark.

17. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

The changes to the Enterprise in THE MOTION PICTURE get a pass because it was explained that the ship was completely refit. Mentioned multiple times, in fact.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they don't fit. The Klingons always felt different in each version in TOS.
    Yup. TMP always stands out to me for these reasons.

nightwind1 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry to interrupt the discussion about Klingons, but according to Giant Freakin' Robot, Voyager is the next series to get the Picard Treatment.

GIANT FREAKIN ROBOT on Twitter: "My only regret is that we didn’t have this story ready in time for #FirstContactDay yesterday." / Twitter

Whether or not this is true, I'll reserve judgement, but I lean towards this being more likely than not. VOY's cast is the only other cast besides TNG's where I could see a full reunion happening. And they've already re-introduced several VOY characters in the Kurtzman Era.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They refitted the Enterprise so hard, it changed the look of the Klingon species.