Paramount apparently still doesn't get it...

It follows along as well as any of the shows. They’ll always do what they want in regards to continuity, This has been true since TOS.

I don't think we ever saw the level we saw with Discovery. Many continuity errors in TOS was due to it still in world building phase and it's episodic format back than. No one knew it was gonna spawn several shows and films. Each episode was very self contained.

Last edited:
To be fair the TNG writers hated pretty much all of the TNG writing rules - "no interpersonal conflict", "no references to TOS", "no military rituals", "no drug addictions", "no psychological trauma", "no prejudices on earth", "no money/fame", and so on.

But they made for a better show.

No, they made for an emotionally stunted show that was inhibited from reaching the fullest heights of artistic maturity. TNG is well-remembered in spite of those rules, not because of them.

That's the thing, I think DS9 worked under similar limitations and TOS too.

DS9 actively worked to deconstruct those limitations at every turn. We would never have seen a TNG-style Sisko dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight.

It would imply some things that would strongly conflict with the sort of utopia Roddenberry envisioned in ways that I think the occasional power-hungry admiral doesn't. It also undercuts the message at the heart of Edith Keeler's speech in the soup kitchen. That one day the destiny of exploring the galaxy will fill humanity with "hope and a common future" that'll be the days worth living for, not getting high from whatever dime bag that Ensign Petey was selling on Deck 2.

Beyond that, we're told Earth is a place where there is no poverty, no crime, and no inequality (although, I know people are gonna argue this is more of a TNG thing than a TOS thing). But if we accept the vision of Star Trek that Roddenberry intended, why would someone deal drugs in a society with no money? If there are drug dealers on Federation starships, it implies there's still disparities and indicates there are still huge cracks in human society where people either feel the need to sell drugs to get ahead, or to use them to cope.

I mean, I don't really think the idea that people might use drugs to cope with the stress of being trapped in a tin can in the vast void of outer space conflicts with the idea of a progressive, egalitarian future. Life planetside can be truly wonderful and egalitarian while life aboard your space navy/space explorers ship can still be difficult enough that some people would be tempted to turn to drug use to cope. Hell, we already know life in Starfleet is more hierarchical than civilian life.

I could imagine someone in Starfleet looking to deal on the side either because there are limited amounts of wealth inequality (nothing to the point of poverty or classism) and/or because it would create informal clout and influence for them.

I understand your point. But I have to disagree. For me it boils down to this:

• TNG shows future humans
  • PIC shows present day Americans on spaceships
I think Rios might have a bone to pick with you for calling him an American. ;)

I never believed in Roddenberry's "evolved" humans. I DO however believe that people growing up in a post-scarcity, post -healthcare-issues society will be more gentle, rational people.

I agree, and I think we see this in PIC. Raffi's idea of living rough is... having secure shelter, good nutrition, good health care, access to the planetary Internet, and enough surplus wealth to afford some recreational drugs. Even in a world where people are more flawed than they were depicted in TNG, most of the things people are fighting over in PIC are not about scarce resources. They're about fundamental beliefs, or finding a purpose in your life, or dealing with disillusionment with institutions.

Now both approaches are valid. I LOVE nuBattlestar Galactica & the alien franchise, both pinnacles of the "flawed humans in space" approach.
But for me, the Roddenberry-ian humans are as much a part of Star Trek as beaming and phasers.

That also applies to TOS btw (which feels "more" human because the characters smile & joke a lot more - but it's actually quite amazing how similar TOS is to TNG in regard of "more enlightened" humans). Even DS9 "rebels" against this approach, but it's still there. For me the shift appeared on ENT - and all modern Trek since then.

I strongly disagree with you here, especially with regards to DIS. The area where DIS is probably most progressive and genuinely optimistic in its depiction of a better future, is that DIS depicts as normal the use of mental health care to cope with profound trauma. Characters on DIS have a much healthier relationship with their emotions than the characters on TNG -- they openly share their pain and allow themselves to be vulnerable with one-another, and they treat reciprocal vulnerability with respect and care rather than as weakness to be overcome. That is a much better vision of a bright future than a world where people magically don't experience emotions like grief, as one TNG episode claimed.

Quick point...O’Brien wasn’t racist.This goddam false hood persists.
“It’s not you I hate Cardassian,it’s what I became because of you”.
The man is a traumatized veteran not a racist.

He was absolutely a racist. Even that line is a racist line -- he refuses to address Glinn Daro by his rank or name, and instead only addresses him by the name of his species. He refuses to see Daro as an individual; he's just a Cardassian, and he holds all Cardassians as responsible for the actions of the Cardassian Guard during the war.

He remains racist on DS9. In "Cardassians," when Miles and Keiko host the Cardassian child Rugal (who had been raised by Bajorans after being abandoned by the Cardassians as an orphan), he is horrified to learn Keiko allowed Rugal to play with Molly. The following exchange occurs:

O'BRIEN: You let them play together?
KEIKO: Why not?
O'BRIEN: The boy almost bit somebody's hand off.
KEIKO: I was with them all afternoon. He's not like that. He's really very gentle.
O'BRIEN: Gentle was bred out of these Cardassians a long time ago.
KEIKO: You know, that was a very ugly thing you just said.
O'BRIEN: I only said.
KEIKO: I don't need to hear it twice.

Now, do I think O'Brien is an irredeemably racist person or not a good person? No. I think he's capable of overcoming his bigotry and has many positive qualities, and I think he's a good person overall. And I also think he gets better about this over the course of DS9. But he is absolutely an anti-Cardassian racist and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

Without getting sucked into a whole debate, the whole "no money" thing was NEVER established on TOS. The earliest reference to it was a gag in the whale movie. And forget 23rd-century Earth (which we never actually saw on TOS) for a moment; there are plenty of indications that commerce is still a thing out on the Final Frontier.

Indeed, more than a few episodes completely fall apart without wealth inequality as a structural feature of life out on the frontier, including "Mudd's Women" and "The Devil in the Dark."

I don't think we ever saw we ever got to the level we saw with Discovery. Many continuity errors in TOS was due to it still in world building phase and it's episodic format back that. No one knew it was gonna spawn several shows and films. Each episode was very self contained.
Yeah can’t think of much in regards to continuity errors in DISCO. The Klingon make up thing is just badly executed. TOS had a hard time remembering what Klingons looked like. At least DISCO was consistent. :lol:
Not sure how being episodic is a excuse for continuity errors. How far apart were “Amok Time” and “The Cloud Minders”?

Yeah can’t think of much in regards to continuity errors in DISCO. The Klingon make up thing is just badly executed. TOS had a hard time remembering what Klingons looked like. At least DISCO was consistent. :lol:
Not sure how being episodic is a excuse for continuity errors. How far apart were “Amok Time” and “The Cloud Minders”?
I've gotten quite fatigued with the excuse making for past continuity errors but intolerance of current shows.

I've gotten quite fatigued with the excuse making for past continuity errors but intolerance of current shows.

No one would have to. But you guys keep bringing it up to make excuses for DISCO and SNW.. Again no one is saying there are not errors in all the shows. But believe it or not Discovery/SNW makes a sport out of it.

Back in the 1960's they did not do arc based stories. Each episode was presented as a self contained story.TOS had growing pains like all the shows. Most continuity errors in TOS are minor compared to anything Disco/snw has done.

No one would have to. But you guys keep bringing it up to make excuses for DISCO and SNW..
Yes. Because it's equal for all Star Trek. That's it. It's not a sport; it's literally how I've interacted with Trek my entire life.
Most continuity errors in TOS are minor compared to anything Disco/snw has done.
They're only minor because people declare them so. They are actually quite big in the scheme of Trek but no one wants to take away from the glorious vision of the original Trek. Never mind TMP, never mind TWOK, and never mind any thing else. Just focus on the evil errors in Discovery and SNW and declare it not Trek...

Fatiguing. Yup, it's just fatiguing. There's no joy to it. Just kicking it as often as possible.

Reactions: Sci
When it comes to past glitches versus modern glitches, there does seem to be a double standard when it comes to bashing the new shows and movies.

Nitpicking STAR TREK and calling out perceived goofs has been a popular fannish sport for generations. Heck, there were entire volumes of "Nitpicker's Guides" published back in the day. The difference, or so it seems to me, is that nowadays any such glitches are seen as "proof" that the new stuff is not "real Trek," that the creators don't know anything about Star Trek, that we're in an alternate timeline, and are treated as crimes against fandom and "canon."

But the old glitches are shrugged off as no big deal.

Somehow calling out continuity errors has gone from being good, clean fun, something to joke about and take in stride, to a holy crusade to preserve the sacred canon -- and condemn the new stuff as heresies.

Crazy idea: Maybe we retire the ominous phrase "canon violation" and go back to calling spotting such glitches "nitpicking."

Last edited:
I think Rios might have a bone to pick with you for calling him an American. ;)
To be fair, a proud Chilean is a proud American... As in the entire landmass of the western hemisphere is one continent, not two, called "America". To Brazilians, people from the US are "North American" (assumed to not be Mexican or Canadian) and to Argentinians (and even online forms in Spain!) we are "United States-ian". ;)

No one would have to. But you guys keep bringing it up to make excuses for DISCO and SNW.. Again no one is saying there are not errors in all the shows. But believe it or not Discovery/SNW makes a sport out of it.
:beer:

And yes, not being able to discuss this one constructively in mutual good faith is a :brickwall:. I think it's partly designed to burn people out.

I know what else they're doing next, but I won't say. I know this board. If I tell you what it is, too many heads will explode.

And no. I'm not talking about S31.

Last edited:
Somehow calling out continuity errors has gone from being good, clean fun, something to joke about and take in stride, to a holy crusade to preserve the sacred canon -- and condemn the new stuff as heresies.
Indeed. That's the fatiguing part.
Crazy idea: Maybe we retire the ominous phrase "canon violation" and go back to calling such glitches "nitpicking."
Agreed.
And yes, not being able to discuss this one constructively in mutual good faith is a :brickwall:. I think it's partly designed to burn people out.
See above. It's used as a sword with which to disect new Trek for daring to not be like the Old Trek while nitpicking the same old Trek was all the time. Except, it's no longer for fun or light hearted debate but the not real Trek yardstick.

It feels like searching for offense.

See above. It's used as a sword with which to disect new Trek for daring to not be like the Old Trek while nitpicking the same old Trek was all the time. Except, it's no longer for fun or light hearted debate but the not real Trek yardstick.

It feels like searching for offense.
I say hold everything to the same standard. I feel like many people are actually being relatively lenient, especially in comparison to the reaction ENT's rather milquetoast revisionism that mainly challenged fanon, and took elements from "Balance of Terror" too literally, received back in the day (how could the Romulans not have had warp drive etc...).

Is changing the size, capabilities, and appearance of the 2250's Enterprise (well beyond a visual reboot) on the same level as recasting Saavik? Can SNW and TOS believably co-exist in universe without prejudicing what came before?

"I want to change Star Trek into being something more like Star Wars to obtain a wider audience" -- is that objective from back in 2009 therefore immune from any criticism? Picking winners and losers is a numbers game. I'd just hope the future of Star Trek proves to be less zero sum than with the Abramsverse and most of Kurtzman NuTrek.

I'd love for the writers of the next Trek series to take an approach much like Roddenberry did for early TNG - use the same universe but a brand new crew (as much as I appreciate Shaw), and don't use canon/continuity/Easter eggs from the older series every episode. It's a BIG galaxy.

Is changing the size, capabilities, and appearance of the 2250's Enterprise (well beyond a visual reboot) on the same level as recasting Saavik? Can SNW and TOS believably co-exist in universe without prejudicing what came before?
My answer to both of those is yes.

"I want to change Star Trek into being something more like Star Wars to obtain a wider audience" -- is that objective from back in 2009 therefore immune from any criticism? Picking winners and losers is a numbers game.
I don't see this as out of bounds. The TOS writers guide discusses appealing to a wider audience as possible to ensure viability. First and foremost Trek is a business and needs to be treated as such or it can become moribund, stuck in it's past and saying "Oh, remember when?" And if that happened tomorrow, honestly, life would continue the same. Why? Because there is a ton of content to share and discuss with within the fan base.

But, do I find such a question bad to appeal to the broader audience? My answer is no, because in my experience it has allowed others who wouldn't touch SF to actually enjoy it. That's the appeal.

Interesting take on the Rugal incident,telling only half the story.
In the episode O’Brien has an interesting conversation with the boy and during that chat O’B says that he has met both good and bad Cardassians and cannot generalise about any species.

Interesting take on the Rugal incident,telling only half the story.
In the episode O’Brien has an interesting conversation with the boy and during that chat O’B says that he has met both good and bad Cardassians and cannot generalise about any species.

Looking on the negative side, that's kind of a generic response that I've heard other people give when confronted with their own racism.

On the positive side, l believe he says that after Keiko confronts him, so I imagine she started him thinking about what he said. He realized how he'd been acting and tried harder to change.

Looking on the negative side, that's kind of a generic response that I've heard other people give when confronted with their own racism.

On the positive side, l believe he says that after Keiko confronts him, so I imagine she started him thinking about what he said. He realized how he'd been acting and tried harder to change.
Even people who struggle with racists will have their exceptions. Example-my friend is a 1/2 Latina and her husband's grandfather was a die hard racist. He would grump about it around family and then hug her and say "But you're my favorite."

Despite what Star Trek taught us about racism it's not black and white...

My answer to both of those is yes.
For me and many others, it just isn't. So again it becomes a picking winners and losers game when the franchise should be trying to keep onboard many existing fans while also appealing to new people.

And sure, everything can come down to aesthetics, but it's not just the design of the original Constitution-class... tone, verisimilitude, political valence... For me, if I wasn't a pre-existing fan of the Star Trek franchise, I wouldn't have watched / tried ST09 / STID / STB or DISCOVERY, SNW, or PICARD season 1.

But, do I find such a question bad to appeal to the broader audience? My answer is no, because in my experience it has allowed others who wouldn't touch SF to actually enjoy it. That's the appeal.
Yes, Star Trek 09 was commercially successful. But STID and STB had higher budgets and proportionally less money coming in, so that many of the TOS and TNG films were on net more profitable investments. Chris Pine and former Paramount chief Emma Watts have both argued on the film side you'll likely hit the ceiling of profitability at the $100MM mark, and need to plan from there.

And, if you change it so much that it loses major portions of the original fanbase, you're gambling you'll pick up more people in their stead. DISCOVERY actually targets a much narrower demographic in its later seasons, so that's its own headscratcher. But it seems the TPTB want to try and retain its audience with a lower budget in SFA.

Hopefully Legacy makes it as well!

For me and many others, it just isn't. So again it becomes a picking winners and losers game when the franchise should be trying to keep onboard many existing fans while also appealing to new people.
If we treat it as winners and losers then that's a terrible way. Imagine if I gave up on TNG and Trek because it wasn't my Trek. There is value in all of it. If I didn't have friends who encouraged (sometimes) me to try different aspects of TNG/DS9/VOY I probably never would have. There's no obligation there. There is no winners and no losers.

Yes, Star Trek 09 was commercially successful. But STID and STB had higher budgets and proportionally less money coming in, so that many of the TOS and TNG films were on net more profitable investments.
Maybe. It depends.

But, 09 was poorly handled sadly.

And, if you change it so much that it loses major portions of the original fanbase, you're gambling you'll pick up more people in their stead. DISCOVERY actually targets a much narrower demographic in its later seasons, so that's its own headscratcher. But it seems the TPTB want to try and retain its audience with a lower budget in SFA.
Part of Trek's appeal is that it is an action/adventure series. If you frame in that way then you can appeal to a much wider base than just fans who nitpick everything. That's not viable to just have the nitpickers and say "screw the rest." nor is it viable to not realize that not everyone is going to come in with foreknowledge of the world. That's absurd.

For me, if I wasn't a pre-existing fan of the Star Trek franchise, I wouldn't have watched / tried ST09 / STID / STB or DISCOVERY, SNW, or PICARD season 1.
And I'm the opposite. I would have delved in, Star Trek fan or no. It appeals to me from a character point of view. Tech is nice but ugh does it get repetitive. Characters are my draw.

Hopefully Legacy makes it as well!
It's in the money right now.

If we treat it as winners and losers then that's a terrible way. Imagine if I gave up on TNG and Trek because it wasn't my Trek. There is value in all of it. If I didn't have friends who encouraged (sometimes) me to try different aspects of TNG/DS9/VOY I probably never would have. There's no obligation there. There is no winners and no losers.
It is the producers themselves that are picking the winners and losers. So as Terry Matalas has said, hopefully everyone can find their component or "flavor" of Trek in the current output.

Back