Spoilers Orphan 55 grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Jan 12, 2020.

?

How do you rate Orphan 55?

1. Oh, brilliant!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

1.4%
  3. 8

8.1%
  4. 7

6.8%
  5. 6

21.6%
  6. 5

16.2%
  7. 4

8.1%
  8. 3

8.1%
  9. 2

5.4%
  10. Rubbish

24.3%
  1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the whole resort seemed to be easily infested with viruses and able to take the membrane thing down. They got in once while the Doctor was there to save them.

On the other hand, the rescue mission itself was ill conceived. Sometimes you can't save everyone and trying to do so will cause more casualties.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

This was largely my reaction to the episode as I indicated in my review. It wasn't so bad itself. Indeed, some of it was intense. They did try to pack too much and too many characters into too little time. A two parter would've been better for pacing and allowed the story to breathe.

I didn't react quite so negatively to the heavy handed message. Granted, it was heavy handed, but what she said was absolutely true! It's frustrating when the climate is falling apart and there's not much action to save it.

Spot261 likes this.
  3. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, in current sci fi is as heavy handed as some of the episodes in TOS or TNG.

Anyone who doubts that needs to re watch Omega Glory.

As for the episode?

Meh.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The method made no sense either, really. Take everyone with you? I'd think you'd want anyone with any technical skill working on the teleporter as it's your only way out. Especially the oompa loompas.

Mr Awe likes this.
  5. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi. I saw episodes one and two of "Spyfall" on the big screen last week and thought it well worth the price of admission (aside from the first ten minutes when some idiot in the theater neglected to turn off the lights). Sadly, this episode was a huge step down from that promising start to the season. I like Jodie as the Doctor and I feel like a lot of people were unfairly hard on series 11, so I don't take any pleasure in saying that I couldn't wait for this episode to be over. I certainly don't disagree with the message, but it was way too "bonk bonk on the head," as the guys on a Star Trek podcast I used to listen to would say. Up until now, I've only really hated one episode of Doctor Who that I've seen. This doesn't quite quite surpass "Love and Monsters" as my least favorite episode, but it's maybe a close second. When I think about it, the twist is basically the same as that in Planet of the Apes... or this short story I remember reading in Ranger Rick magazine when I was a kid. Actually, looking on TV Tropes, it kinda seems like the "it was Earth all along" twist has practically been done ad nauseam.

TBH, I was a little worried about this one as soon as I saw the guy in the cheap green wig in the preview. The Zoobilee Zoo reject-looking alien wasn't much better. Hopefully they're saving their budget for more deserving episodes.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

200 years in t he future... In the alt time line where the Daleks took over in Day of the Daleks...

The weather seemed fine.

Speaking of Dalek Rule... Earth is currently under Dalek Rule, from a ship out past Pluto (climax of season one) and will be for the next 2000 centuries. It is the decision of the Daleks, controlling us from afar, that our environment should collapse, or get really close to collapsing, and then hover there for a while.

The Daleks have a master plan.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I gotta say I'm surprised so many people keep using "Love and Monsters" as "the worst episode" metric for the modern era when there's a more obvious and far worse episode to compare it to: "In the Forest of the Night." That episode had it all: It was environmental related, it was super preachy, and featured obnoxious characters (with Danny Pink being the worst of the bunch).

And I say that as someone who still likes this episode despite its flaws (but I agree on the preachy part).

8. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Orphan 55" definitely shares similarities with "In the Forest of the Night" and I cannot say that that Capaldi episode is a favorite of mine, but I find it mildly watchable at least. Most of the episodes that I think aren't that great I still wouldn't have a problem rewatching. It might be cliche to bring up "Love and Monsters," but that episode just left me with a sick feeling.

9. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

I swear I might be one of five people that didn't mind 'In the Forest of the Night'. I know it wasn't great, but I didn't find it awful.

The episode I personally use a benchmark as Worst. Episode. Ever. is "Sleep No More". Yeeee Gawds that one was awwwwful.

10. The Nth Doctor

Conversely, I think I'm the only person who liked "Sleep No More." :lol:

Evil Robert likes this.
  11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I don’t see the problem with the future constantly changing, that’s just how Doctor Who is. Relax, it’s just a show it’s just a bit of fun.

The Nth Doctor and Starkers like this.
  12. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never waded into a "worst episode of new Who" discussion. However, that is the one and only episode from the modern era I remember switching off halfway in.

13. The Nth Doctor

You mean "In the Forest of the Night"?

14. Guy Gardener

The present is also the future.

Jamie or Victoria or Katrina don't especially have any interest in 2020 looking anything like how we would recognize it. They'd be fine with some distant future place shifting to something where blimp travel is completely commonplace and Disneyland is a parking lot.

15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It isn't the worst, Fear Her is pretty awful.

Although I do like Love & Monsters.

16. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Fear Her isn't that flash, no.

Yes I did, sorry.

Well, I've just finished Orphan 55. Don't have much to add except to say I hope we've logged "worst episode of the season" with this entry. Yikes.

17. Guy Gardener

Wait?! What?? That's a Bily Joel song!!!!!

Oh.

In the middle of the Night.

My bad.

False alarm.

18. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also like Love and Monsters. It's actually the best thing Chibnall has ever done on Doctor Who. I liked Elton and it was kind of sad and sweet at the same time. He made all these friends only to loose them all except one. His girlfriend but even she has been reduced to a talking head on a block. But that is also kind of bittersweet in that romance and love is never going to be perfect or ideal. Plus it also sort of shows how the Doctor even if he is noble often has danger and death connected to him wherever he goes.

Jason

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's telling that everything thinks that actress was playing a security officer when she wasn't...

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I always think Love and Monsters shows RTD at his absolute best and his absolute worst as a writer.

Raises hand, I didn't mind Sleep No More either...

Can we just pin this to the top of the forum?

Chibanll didn't write L&M