Original Star Trek Theme Song on TNG?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by ClassicTVMan81, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ClassicTVMan81

ClassicTVMan81 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Has the original Star Trek theme tune ever been performed on any episode of TNG or any of its follow-up series (Voyager, DS9, et al)?

If so, was it ever sung with Gene Roddenberry's "joke" lyrics which he wrote in order to entitle himself to 50 percent of the profits of the song?

~Ben

2. Tanyanoel

Tanyanoel Ensign Red Shirt

I think I heard in on DS9 episode Trials and Tribbleations (which I just re-watched a few days ago), but I would have to re-watch it again to be sure.

3. Tanyanoel

Tanyanoel Ensign Red Shirt

Yupper, I just rewatched the beginning of that episode and it is lightly quoted about 2 minutes in as Sisko starts his story and then in full bloom about 4 and a half mites in as the Enterprise is reveled. I imagine it may pop up more times, but I remember smiling when it came up in this episode.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Not the TOS theme in TNG any time I recall, but Goldsmith's ST: TMP theme appeared about half a dozen times in Ron Jones' work.

Part of the TOS theme did appear once or twice in the Generations score.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

For a second there I thought you were talking about the alternate TNG theme ... :lol:

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Hey, its Galaxy Quest! :techman:

7. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Tenacious D has performed the song, with lyrics, several times over the years.

[yt]

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I believe that the first few seconds of TNG's theme are a sped-up version of TOS's theme, before starting into the TMP theme, with the TOS theme being continued in brass section.

9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, technically anytime the 'opening fanfare' is used (you all know which bit this is, the "Space, The Final Frontier" motif) its a use of Alexander Courage's TOS theme, even if not in it's entirety. For TNG's theme, Denis McCarthy melded the TOS fanfare to the TMP theme (and Goldsmith himself later did it in his own scores for TFF, FC, INS and NEM.) Even in it's briefest quotations the fanfare is a section of the TOS theme. Needless to say the fanfare gets used a lot. ;)

The larger part of the TOS theme is heard much less frequently. It pops up behind the Captain's Logs in TMP, and again at the ends of both TSFS and TVH. The Kelvin-verse movies also use it on the end credits.

10. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I meant within the episode scores, not the opening theme.

11. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

I had to immediately watch the proper one after watching that :lol:

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I would have to watch it again, but I would think that it probably appears in Relics at some point, since that was TNG's ode to TOS episode. I recall that they had the TOS transporter effect in Relics.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The TOS fanfare definitely appears in Ron Jones' score for "The Best of Both Worlds". Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when it does, too. ;)

14. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

If memory serves, the TOS Theme is actually two parts: the fanfare is called, "Where No Man Has Gone Before", and the main theme, "Theme from Star Trek".

I read that in a Trek book at one time, but now not remembering which one!

I always like when it's appeared in incidental music through TNG. One I like is during the beginning of "Yesterday's Enterprise", around when Riker says, "Looks like she's had a rough ride!", you can make out the fanfare briefly.