Opinions on The Orville

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Horta, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Horta

Horta Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hate to admit it, but I like the Orville. If they got rid of the "dick" jokes, and tweeked the tone of some of the jokes, it could be an excellent show. I see a lot of potential. I like the robot, lol. I'd say they need more technobabble. It will be interesting to see how the show develops in he second season. What do other Trekkies think of The Orville?

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure yet. I have only seen the pilot today and it has not wowed me yet.
    It wasn‘t really funny imo and the first mission was a bit meh.
    I hope it picks up a bit soon either the comedy part of the serious action drama part.
    Or both.

3. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven’t seen it. Just upped my streaming subscription expecting to find a whole series to watch from scratch, but it’s just the most recent four, but I’d rather see it from the start.

4. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it. Interesting characters with different backgrounds (like Borus and his husband in their all male culture and young strong Lt. Kitan) and different adversaries (not Klingon). The same type of world like Star Trek but the lack of a slavish adherence to a Prime Directive is refreshing.

Horta likes this.
  5. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love and adore The Orville. It's my new favorite show on TV right now.

theblitz and Horta like this.
  6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

S1 has just finished airing on Fox in the UK. It wasn't too bad though I felt it took until about the midpoint for the strongest episode sto appear.

Horta likes this.
  7. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like it. It’s an all-around fun show and I’m excited for season 2.

Horta likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love it, it really feels a lot like the fun old school Trek, which is nice since Discovery didn't go in that direction. I couldn't be happier as a Trek fan right now, we've got a good, modern, darker, serialized Trek show, and a light, fun, almost Trek show.

CaptainMurdock and Horta like this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Love it. Dick jokes and all.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It has a far better feel to it than STD, clearly made by people who know, love and appreciate the genre.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I like it, I like the idea of a show that celebrates the light, fun aspects of Star Trek. I just wish it would depart a little further from Star Trek and be a little bit more its own thing instead of reusing classic Trek premises so often.

12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some of which were classic even before Trek got a hold of them. But seriously, I started watching it thinking it was basically going to be a "Galaxy Quest" type parody. Instead, it's like ST:TOS with dick jokes and I do kind of dig it.

Phoenix219, Horta and BillJ like this.
  13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first season kept me entertained and gave me a few things to think about. It had a few laugh out loud moments (e.g. the leg) and some OMG that's so fucking cool moments too. Also some WTF moments. It's an interesting blend of serious and comedy. Not perfect by any stretch, but it's hanging together better than DISCO.

CaptainMurdock and Horta like this.
  14. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

I guess I'm the lone dissenter, but I'm unimpressed. To be fair, I only watched the first three episodes, but I saw nothing in there to draw me back.

I was expecting McFarlane to apply his Family Guy skills to Star Trek, and I was ready to settle in and laugh uproariously. The jokes immediately struck me as not up to his ability; I'm not averse to the dick jokes, but he's shown he can do really intelligent humor as well, and I find it lacking here.

Worse, for me, are the tonal shifts. Going from humor, on whatever level, to attempted drama, on whatever level, just doesn't work very often, and in this I don't think it worked at all. I had the same reaction to the Buffy series. One moment she's trying to be cool and tossing off one-liners, and the next I'm supposed to feel sad for her because her mother's dead. I could never connect those two Buffies in any meaningful way.

shivkala likes this.
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's fun and has some good, dramatic, moments. Despite paying omage to Star Trek, it has enough of its own heart to feel like its own thing.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The series got better as the season went on, though perhaps not by leaps and bounds. Hopefully in season two they can double down and straighten out what doesn't work. It's hands down better than TNG season one, and plenty of other current shows for that matter, so this is hardly a bad place for the series to be AFAIC.

17. PureCrimson

PureCrimson Commander Red Shirt

I'm curious in checking it out too.

Not a fan of Seth McFarlane's humor, but it seems this was a real passion project for him, thus I can imagine a lot of issues I have with his other shows might not be here. I'm curious that it's very much like an old Trek series, minus the dick jokes.

And the thing about those is, I feel it's out of obligation that they're included. McFarlane sold it as a 'comedy' after all, or has to keep it as a 'parody' since it's so similar to Trek otherwise.

Thus he kinda throws in the the lewd jokes to do that in the fastest way possible. I think if he was on CBS instead of Fox, it might just be a legit scifi show.

This is all just what I heard though. Haven't gotten to watch it for myself yet. Just stuff via osmosis.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Gavin70 likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Funny jokes; the humor's not always my style though. I like the banter and the tone.

Isaac sounds like Data but, luckily, isn't much like him at all. Bortus is closer to Worf, but still uniquely his own character. I like the back-and-forth between Mercer and Grayson. Kitan is probably one the best "green" senior officers I've ever seen. LaMarr has great one-liners but making him Chief Engineer was the right move. Before, he felt redundant to Malloy. Malloy is just "one of the guys". Finn gets to do more than Crusher ever did. Grayson is my favorite character.

The show looks like TNG but they tackle things TNG didn't. TNG was too timid to tackle gender in any meaningful way and avoided society of its time like the black plague.

I don't care if Discovery is a "normal" Star Trek series in large part, actually, because The Orville already has it covered. So I enjoy both series for what they are.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's the only show I watch other than The Grand Tour.

I think it's an excellent show.

I like the humor and the fact that there's nothing solemn about it.

Oh, and STD sucks.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Voyager with dick jokes, retelling old Trek stories. It's comfort food for 90's fans.

I like it but it's nothing we haven't all seen before.

Lance and Relayer1 like this.