Ontario Provincial Politics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Avro Arrow, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

*sigh* At least the NDP will be a good official opposition. I'm hoping she can keep him in check. The only alternative would be another expensive by-election and we've had lots of those. Still can't quite believe it though.

2. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

It's good to see Canada back on the right path again, led by our largest province Ontario.

The Liberals destroyed Ontario, Trudeau is closing up Canada for business, the NDP has completely screwed Alberta and is in the process of screwing BC. It was time to go back to the Conservative party to get everything back on track again and have Canada thriving like it was under Harper. Ontario is the first step.

Well done, I have to say I'd call this the......best case Ontario

Thank you, good night

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

think a few crowing tory supporters need to remember that politics is cyclical and that while the Liberals have suffered a big loss they will come back - in 2003, the NDP lost official party status when they wound up with 7 seats. A while the tories didn't lose as many seats as the Libs did this time around McGinty and the Liberals picked up 46% of the overall vote. Last night the tories picked up 40%

Guess they've also forgetten the time the tories federally lost 152 seats in the 1993 election.

and I think ford's in for a shock. He's now going to have to get up in the house and answer questions from the opposition and have to deal with the media even more but I think this sums it up well.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi...-doug-fords-new-pc-government-in-ontario.html

4. Garak

Hmmm. Interesting. Tell us more.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

OK, you and I are obviously on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I have to admit, that was pretty funny. :)

If Ford's $6 billion in efficiencies include significant cuts to health care--as I assume they must--then I will not be personally "thriving", regardless of how big any tax breaks I may end up receiving are.

I remind you, again, that this is not TMZ. Changing quotes is generally considered trolling. Also, I'm not entirely sure this is what you're doing, but it certainly looks like you're trolling Marc based on his nationality. Please stop this, and let's keep things friendly, OK?

6. Garak

Thank god that didn’t go unnoticed

Screwing with health care is usually political suicide in Canada, and as a huge universal health care supporter i hope that doesn’t happen. Health care is incredibly important - a healthy country is a productive and successful country.

@Marc is Australian? I thought he was Canadian

Avro Arrow likes this.
  7. Avro Arrow

I was under the impression he was an Australian ex-pat living here. His "location" seems to refer to this too. But if it's the case that you weren't aware of that when you made the post, then my apologies, and I rescind that part of my comment.

8. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Canada and Australia's relationship is woefully under-explored in pop culture. I'd like to someday see a reality series called, "Hosers Down Under."

9. Owain Taggart

Don't worry, everyone! Ford has promised beer to be available in convenience stores! That'll solve all our problems. ;)

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  10. Marc

Don't forget once the feds legalise the sale of pot dougie wants to deregulate it's sale in Ontario.

11. Owain Taggart

That is sure to make him Mr Popular in Ontario! :whistle:

12. Avro Arrow

Well, I can't drink. (And even when I could, well, I don't really care for beer anyway.) So, I guess I'm out of luck. :(

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  13. Marc

They'll just think you're American :)
    Back in the early 1980s had a swimming instructor who had to spell it out - he was Larry from Canada - not Larry from the U.S :)

14. Avro Arrow

And before anyone asks... no, we don't all know Larry from Canada.

Although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

;)

TorontoTrekker likes this.
  15. Owain Taggart

Yeah, we just know his brother Harry. Poor Larry gets mistaken for Harry all the time.

16. Marc

A conservative poster on the CBC on the article on comments coming out of the U.S vis a vis trudeau like going on about the legalisation of marijuana. Guess they didn't see dougy's promise to deregulate the sale in Ontario or the promise of cheap beer at corner stores.

17. Avro Arrow

So finally a bit of good news to come out of this mess of an election...

Ontario makes history with record number of female MPPs

At 39.5% of the seats, this is apparently a record for Ontario, and the highest throughout Canada.

The NDP caucus actually has full equal representation (20 / 40). The Liberals are actually over 50%, but of course they only have seven seats (4 / 7). The PCs are just under one-third (25 / 76).

Still further to go, but it's nice to see we are at least heading in the right direction! :)

Marynator likes this.
  18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We still have a little over a week to go until Ford is sworn in as premier, but the man has been busy.

Ford kills Green Ontario rebates and loses Green business to Alberta

Ford orders a hiring freeze on public employees excluding essential services

Ford wants to build subways from Toronto to Pickering and Markham. No one knows why or how he's going to pay for it

Oh no, we don't need the Downtown Relief Line in Toronto. It's not like we're the sixth worst city in the world for transit or anything. Instead let's build a multi-billion dollar subway to a town of less than 100,000 people. Totally worth it.

19. Marc

speaking of Pickering, dougy was there to going on about how he's kept an election promise to keep the nuclear plant open until 2024 but the Liberals had also made the same commitment. The plan was that the Pickering would stay open until the refurbishment at Darlington had been completed (something that's currently on schedule and budget which is something of a rariety for a nuclear plant refurb).

20. Avro Arrow

Ford won't rest until he makes Toronto #1 again! :shifty:

Technically, he can't really make that claim until it's actually 2024.