Old school Star Trek video games

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Thomas Elliot, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot Commander Red Shirt

What were Star Trek video games like from the golden age of video gaming? I'm on retro Star Trek kick. I finished up watching the TOS films within the last year, I'm trying to track down the DC Comics that were published in the 80s and 90s, and now I'm interested in what the video games from back in the day were like.
    My only experience with Star Trek video games was seeing reviews on the TNG game for Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. And my uncle had a Vectrex system with a Star Trek game that required a transparency to be put over the screen in order to give the game added "graphics."
    Unlike Star Wars, it seems like they didn't make video games for each TOS movie installment, which is surprising to me.
    Anyone have memories of these old games? Did you have any favorites?

2. AresB

AresB Lieutenant Red Shirt

I tried to type the Super Star Trek game from the BASIC Computer Games book into my old Amstrad CPC, but never got it running properly. The first ones I actually played were the 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites. I got them again from gog.com this winter and apart from the rather chunky graphics, they haven't aged a bit.

I remember reading reviews of ST games but never got to play them, such as the Rebel Universe, the ST5: TFF game that consisted of small mini-games based on the movie, and text adventures such as the Kobayashi Alternative that was written by Diane Duane. I suppose they can still be found on abandonware sites.

3. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot Commander Red Shirt

I'm looking at the graphics for the Anniversary game. They look pretty good still!
    And apparently there was a Star Trek movie game that was going to be made for the Atari, The Wrath of Khan, but the video game crash happened in '83 and Sega abandoned it.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral