Ok. What is the chance of a Picard spinoff?

After the protracted, self-inflicted writer's strike and many, many years of Nat. Amusement/Paramount corporate mismananagement, avarice, and hubris coming to a head, symbolized by the bizarrely conceived Paramount+ (and other stuff, like archaic network television ad revenue contracting), a true Legacy spin off series has fairly likely been killed off in the womb.

But I can expect a cameo in a established Trek production like Prodigy or a movie project like Section 31...

I thought there might have been a good chance of Legacy happening if there had been real behind-the-scenes momentum for it, but since it's looking more and more like it was just a wishful idea than an actual project in development, I'm dropping Legacy into the same file cabinet as the Captain Worf and Captain Sulu ideas back in the day. Anyone remember those?

on the other hand the only bit of Trek that Paramount+ advertised this superbowl was just Stewart himself. Different from last year when LD and SNW both got some attention. Even more telling that a final season of Discovery is about to drop but the only SF show they gave attention to was Season 2 of Halo. I don't think Paramount is done with Star Trek but if we were doing Kremlinology on it right now, it would be fair to say it's not in good favor at the moment.
No, what we can say was P+ was spending money promoting the new content it was going to start streaming in the near future post Superbowl.

It's called focused advertising. Discovery S5 is streaming after Halo S2, so why spend money advertising a show/season that's farther off.

No, what we can say was P+ was spending money promoting the new content it was going to start streaming in the near future post Superbowl.

It's called focused advertising. Discovery S5 is streaming after Halo S2, so why spend money advertising a show/season that's farther off.
Yup. The advertising window is so small now budgeting is about timing as much as event.

Paramount wants to do a Trek movie every two years.

What's coming after Section 31?

If they are going to do a Picard movie, then it has to be up next.

https://trekmovie.com/2024/03/09/pi...er-paramount-deemed-it-too-star-trek-says-ep/

In light of this interview though, I wonder if they haven’t already settled on the plot being Picard going into the Delta Quadrant through the transwarp conduit from S2 on some sort of mission.

There are a lot of ideas that they wanted to do in PIC that they never got to do. So I figure they recycle these unused ideas for the film.

I've heard a Star Trek: Discovery movie and the Picard/Legacy thing. But its all just rumours.

Isn't SFA supposed to be the sequel to Disco? :confused:

If they are going to do a Picard movie, then it has to be up next.

https://trekmovie.com/2024/03/09/pi...er-paramount-deemed-it-too-star-trek-says-ep/

In light of this interview though, I wonder if they haven’t already settled on the plot being Picard going into the Delta Quadrant through the transwarp conduit from S2 on some sort of mission.

There are a lot of ideas that they wanted to do in PIC that they never got to do. So I figure they recycle these unused ideas for the film.

Picard taking a refit E-G into the DQ would definitely be a first for the franchise. :cool:

I don't think Legacy should be entirely discounted. No, there's probably not anything actually happening with it right now but that's not surprising.

They already have three projects in development, S31, SNW S3 and Academy, with DSC S5 just premiering soon. Everyone is still recovering from the strike. Paramount is exactly doing spectacular as a company and is downsizing.

They're overextended as is. Once DSC is finished off, S31 comes out, we will see what happens with SNW and Academy. I don't think they can realistically handle more than two series in production. SNW or SFA would probably have to die for Legacy to become a thing, OR they may be able to do Legacy in the S31 model if that ends up working. Rather than a series, they may be able to do Legacy as something of a streaming movie series.

It would be foolish of Paramount to NOT do something with it... the fan interest is clearly there. They did it with SNW, but that made sense at the time. They had the space and capacity for it. If they weren't doing Academy... Legacy would have been an absolute slam dunk. (I wish they weren't doing Academy).

I doubt Legscy will be a slam dunk.

It sounds good, has the buzz words, but right now it's most fan fantasy that doesn't necessarily match with reality.

Same thing could have said about SNW...

The parallels are all there. SNW only became a thing because fans wanted it, and it would have been foolish for Paramount to ignore. SNW worked at the time because they had the space to fill. They could handle the productions.

Same with Legacy. There's really nothing unrealistic about it at all. The cast is willing to do it. The fans want it. The only thing unrealistic is timing... yeah it's not going to happen right now because there are other projects.

Same thing could have said about SNW...

The parallels are all there. SNW only became a thing because fans wanted it, and it would have been foolish for Paramount to ignore. SNW worked at the time because they had the space to fill. They could handle the productions.

Same with Legacy. There's really nothing unrealistic about it at all. The cast is willing to do it. The fans want it. The only thing unrealistic is timing... yeah it's not going to happen right now because there are other projects.
Would you call SNW a "slam dunk"?

I wouldn't.

SNW only became a thing because fans wanted it, and it would have been foolish for Paramount to ignore.

I'm pretty sure CBS had plans to make a spinoff with Pike, Spock and the Enterprise far before the 'fans' made any noise about it. Don't delude yourself into thinking that the fans have any power over the choices that CBS/Paramount makes.

Not to mention that the future of Paramount+ is in limbo. And that Matalas himself has said that CBS/Paramount have never had any plans to produce his pipe-dream idea.

Last edited:
I don't think Legacy should be entirely discounted. No, there's probably not anything actually happening with it right now but that's not surprising.

They already have three projects in development, S31, SNW S3 and Academy, with DSC S5 just premiering soon. Everyone is still recovering from the strike. Paramount is exactly doing spectacular as a company and is downsizing.

They're overextended as is. Once DSC is finished off, S31 comes out, we will see what happens with SNW and Academy. I don't think they can realistically handle more than two series in production. SNW or SFA would probably have to die for Legacy to become a thing, OR they may be able to do Legacy in the S31 model if that ends up working. Rather than a series, they may be able to do Legacy as something of a streaming movie series.

It would be foolish of Paramount to NOT do something with it... the fan interest is clearly there. They did it with SNW, but that made sense at the time. They had the space and capacity for it. If they weren't doing Academy...

After S3, SNW only has two years left at most (given P+'s penchant for cancelling shows after five seasons).

P+ may well follow the nuBSG model (build the sets for the movie and keep them around for a series)

Legacy would have been an absolute slam dunk. (I wish they weren't doing Academy).

P+ is looking for the 18-35yo CW demographic.

Back