NX Refit

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by SCE2Aux, Apr 23, 2024.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

For an ISS version, maybe have the raised squarish section the bridge sits upon come to a point?

Like a widow’s peak

On ship design

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    SCE2Aux likes this.
  2. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Shuttlepod Garages:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still need to add smaller cargo hatches to the sides of the garages.

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hot damn, I’m fresh out of superlatives to describe just how much I’m in love with what I’m seeing. What delicious eye candy! @SCE2Aux, you’ve certainly won the heart of this Trek fan. [​IMG]

Ar-Pharazon, SCE2Aux and BK613 like this.
  4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oh good, I was afraid that was where the impulse engine vents were being emplaced. There’s nothing quite like flying into the middle of thermonuclear fire to land your shuttle!

Jack Wolfe, Santaman and blssdwlf like this.
  5. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Thanks Michael!
    Well that works for the USS Discovery, so I guess I could get away with it... ;)
    But yeah the impulse engine are actually going to be in the same places as on the on-screen NX: Two auxiliaries on the saucer (almost finished modelling them) and two mains on the catamarans. I haven't modelled those yet, but you can spy out a couple of primitive impulse deflection crystal assemblies recessed into the catamarans where the nacelle pylons intersect with them.

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

That's looking awesome! Everything you do is always looking like it's just supposed to look like that. :mallory::D:techman:

SCE2Aux and Michael like this.
  7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh, I really like those shuttlebay doors! It makes sealing the bay an easy job, since it's very difficult to completely seal a sliding door.

SCE2Aux and Henoch like this.
  8. Misha Siegfried

Misha Siegfried Cadet Newbie

Dang, I need to hang out on this BBS more often! This is some killer work. The detailing is so rich. I love it.

SCE2Aux likes this.
  9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A lot like the ISS cupola...or they're hella big photons

10. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Oh, it's beautiful! I really like your resculpted catamarans in particular, and the shiny metallic finish is gorgeous!

publiusr likes this.
  11. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Thanks @Cyfa ! :)

The past week I've modelled on the cargo hatches, main impulse engines, and most of the nacelle pylons. I'm also mocking up the design for the bussard collectors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love those bussard collectors!

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The nacelles look great in general. I also particularly enjoy the more aggressive, streamlined saucer "plateau."

publiusr and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

I'm glad you're liking the way the bussard collectors are progressing :)
    They're just a pathfinder model at present. Because I haven't got great traditional art skills, I tend to create basic models first, then refine as I go. I've made a slightly more refined version of the collectors since the previous post (not so different as to be worth showing), and hopefully now I can start a high res version.

I have to say I'm rather envious of the 2d art skills of people like @Cyfa on this forum: I'd like to do away with this prototyping workflow, but I never commit enough time to master the concept art skills in order to do so. :rolleyes:

Michael and Cyfa like this.
  15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I often find myself envious of the abilities of others, compared to my own skills in any given subject. But don't dwell too much on what you are not capable of. You've got skills others are envious of. And so on and so on.
    I'd say you're pretty friggin awesome at what you do. Be proud of that.

16. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Great work! I'm just envious of everyone in here because i can't do any of that stuff. :rommie:

17. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

We're all good at various things, I think I was just in a funny mood yesterday and getting in a funk. Happens sometimes.

Santaman and Michael like this.
  18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

It's entirely understandable. But rest assured, your 3D skills are fantastic and the envy of many. :rommie:

Santaman, SCE2Aux and Michael like this.
  19. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Thank you, @SCE2Aux! [​IMG] And just as the others have said, I (and I'm sure many others) envy your technical skills [​IMG] [​IMG] (yeah, I know Peanut Hamper and Agimus aren't exactly the best role models, but they sure know how to manipulate all those ones and zeros!)

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

As envious as I am of your 3D modeling skills, @SCE2Aux (and I truly am), what I actually admire most about your art isn’t even that, but your incredible sense designing and detailing. I’m reasonably sure I’d be equally impressed by your skills if you were presenting your ideas as clay models, pencil sketches or oil paintings. Regardless of the medium, you just have an inspiring sense of making designs look interesting in terms of proportion, shape, detail, believability and visual interest.

publiusr, Santaman and SCE2Aux like this.