Nuclear Wessels ad-libbed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There's little evidence that they "beam everywhere" in Trek's time. Especially to different locations inside the same city or metro area. Certainly in Trek's time mass transit still exists and probably even forms of personal transportation. (Like a car analog.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed, in the present day of Trek, it may be that *all* transit is mass transit.

3. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe there's a line: "But where is Alameda?" in the movie, suggesting that they, in fact, don't know where Alameda is.

4. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I thought another reason she wanted to speak was to be given an acting credit and not to be just listed as an extra.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They may know in general where Alameda is, but probably only in relation to 23rd century landmarks. Take a city you're familiar with, drop you off at street level a few centuries out of your own time, and see if you'd be able to find your way around. I bet most people would be as lost as Chekov and Uhura.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

There no indication that (prime universe) Uhura went to the academy.

I've found that even today that unless you regularly ride the bus/train that mass transit is a mystery to the majority of people, I know people who are literally scared to get on a bus because they're not sure exactly where it goes and how to get off where they want.

:)

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

This.

What did we expect? They would have known where Alameda is, but they were in an unfamiliar city surrounded by unfamiliar landmarks, and the only way that they knew how to get there was to take the air tram or something. Not really an option in 1986.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The general assumption is that Starfleet officers, in the 23rd century, are Starfleet Academy graduates. While its likely that someone like Yeoman Rand is a non-commissioned crewperson, I'm certain Lieutenant Uhura studied at the Academy.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Since she has an official rank and isn't a Chief or simply a petty officer, yeah. it would seem she's gone through the Academy.

10. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I never understood, apart from it just being a funny part, why Uhura & Chekov didn't know where Alameda was either since both would have gone to Star fleet Academy right across the bay from it.

It was mentioned that they didn't know based on 23rd century landmarks not being there. I don't buy that since Alameda would always be to the east. I live in Dallas and have never been to Houston but I could still find it.

The only thing I could think of is maybe Alameda wasn't there anymore due to an earthquake or it was possibly renamed sometime between 1986 and 2286.

It is funny though that the navigator was lost, haha.

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Or perhaps they didn't know how to get there in the 20th century, due to different road layouts, different means of transport...