Now that the strike is over, whither Season 3?

Well that's what I mean. We had fewer shows back then but more episodes. Now we have more tv shows out there but less episodes. So I actually watch less new stuff then I used to. Because my a favorite show ends after 10 episodes.
I prefer that.

I couldn't keep up when I was younger and had free time. Now I have limited free time and still can't keep up.

Same here. DS9 had great effects and did a full season. But sadly I think the days of 20-24 episode seasons will never happen on streaming and will probably be gone from network tv one day as well...and we will just get more shows we won't want to watch....lol

Well, ST used to do 26 episodes back in the day, and I think it's probably a good thing those days are gone. There was always a certain point where it was clear the writers had run out of steam.

But yeah, we need more than 10 episodes a year. I think 15-18 is probably the ideal season length in terms of finding a happy medium between narrative momentum, allowing for creative experimentation, and not running out of steam.

More than 10, I agree. 10 is simply not enough. You feel like you're just getting into it and then, oh well, the season's over. :confused: And it's made worse by having to wait so long for new episodes.

Depends on the show for me, including modern Trek. Discovery felt right at home at 13. Strange New Worlds would, too, albeit for different reasons.

On the other hand, I don’t even want to think about a Picard S2 with three further episodes.

I'm fine with 10. I'd be fine with 6. Hell, I'd probably be fine with less. Just make sure they're damned good.

Ultimately, I think they should allow what works for the STORY, not the number of episodes they need to fill.
Absolutely. I would rather be left wanting more than feeling like I can't keep up. And shorter means I will enjoy it more quickly.

I’d imagine early 2025 for S3. Maybe very late 2024.

Personally, I think they should split season 3 into two parts. Episodes 1-5 in June. Part 2 dec/early 2025. Show is a success and I wouldn't want the public consciousness to be fleeting in any way. Also splitting seasons is not unheard of.

I agree, if the number of episodes per season are extended.

I'm kind of shocked that so many people are fine with 10. I think your standards are far too low. Were all of you weaned on streaming only?

They could easily make 15 or even 20 and keep the quality up. 10 isn't enough for an entire season of a TV show. I suppose they could make 10 but make each one two hours. That would be an interesting experiment.

Yeah. Generally even when the number of episodes changes, the ratio of good to bad episodes doesn't really change. You're going to have a few stinkers each season, no matter what the length. That's just the nature of the game.

Exactly. There were a couple of season 1 SNW shows that I thought were only so-so. Get good writers and write more damned shows. 10 far too few.

Back