Spoilers NO SPOILERS FOR CODA - A Lit-verse Grand Finale...What We Know (Spoilers for Entire Lit-verse)

Actually, it's been reported that Abrams did have the authority to ignore the Story Group and do whatever he wanted with his movies overruling the tie-ins in much the same way Lucas did.

There were practically no newly-canon tie-ins for him to ignore during TFA, and the only bit that comes to mind in TROS is the suggestion that Poe went straight from the Spice Runners to the Resistance, without an intermediate career as a New Republic pilot. The spice running was then retconned in as an uncomfortable sideshow during his teenage years.

Haven't posted here very much in the last few years. Mainly, that was due to the Trek Lit Freeze (ie ceasing regular publications) due to the licensing issues. Of course, once those issues got resolved (and some more time was lost), along came the New Trek TV series to supersede the existing interconnected novel continuity.

Needless to say, I'm a bit bummed about the whole thing, however I was glad that KB got to tie-up her Voyager Series and we're getting this Coda Trilogy to close it out. (Very thankful to the Authors especially and everyone else involved for making it possible)

That said... I'm probably done with regularly following Trek Lit in whatever form it will exist going forward.

I'm sure the quality will continue to be what we've all gotten used to of course, but the interconnected universe and the narrative and character developments are what really kept me coming back these past 20 years, so with that gone (or in limbo), I think this is as good a time as any, to get off.

TLDR: Not bitter, just sad. But then All Good Things....

That said... I'm probably done with regularly following Trek Lit in whatever form it will exist going forward.

I'm sure the quality will continue to be what we've all gotten used to of course, but the interconnected universe and the narrative and character developments are what really kept me coming back these past 20 years, so with that gone (or in limbo), I think this is as good a time as any, to get off.
The interconnectedness was a big part of it to me, which is why 24th century stuff was my main preference. Plus an enormous chunk of "what happened next ?".

I'll probably dip in when something appeals, but the keeping up with all the releases (which I had intended to get back to) is probably done.

Me too, the Coda trilogy will probably the last Trek novel for the time being.
But why? I understand an interconnected continuity as A reason to read Star Trek books, but THE reason? You’re never going to want new adventures with your TNG friends? That seems tough.

While I am disappointed to see the ongoing relaunches come to an end, I still plan on continuing to read the novels. There have been a number of good Discovery and Picard novels so far. For instance I really enjoyed Drastic Measures and The Enterprise War. I'm glad I didn't miss those. And Christopher has an interconnected continuity with his follow ups to Ex Machina, including his novella in the Mere Anarchy series, The Higher Frontier, and his upcoming Living Memory (and even the novella The More Things Change by Scott Pearson takes place in that continuity). So there are still some bits of ongoing continuity going on out there, even if they are not on the level of the relaunches. I looke forward to Living Memory and hope maybe Christopher keeps it going (even into the post-TFF period that I'd love to see more novels take place in--not a hint or anything ;):whistle::lol:).

Oh, and don't forget the Enterprise relaunches. They are dormant for the moment, but, that series is really not affected by any of the current shows. Perhaps someday they'll decide to pick up where they left off there as well.

And I'm curious to read the upcoming TNG and DS9 novels, partly because it's been a long time since we had a novel within the TV series time frames, and partly because they are being written by 2 new authors. Who knows what they'll bring to the table.

And there are some great standalone original series novels that have come out. While I'd love to see the relaunch novels continue to be released in the mix and would personally have no problem keeping the different continuities separate in my mind, I also know that's not how things work. I'll continue reading and enjoying the new novels that come out and someday, perhaps, they'll be another litverse continuity. And there may be other mini-continuities within the novels. There still may be the occasional crossover event. And as The Dark Veil showed, there's still the possibility litverse characters and events pay still pop up now and again even in novels based on the current shows.

I think it's premature to assume there will be no more interconnected continuity after Coda. Nothing of the sort has been reported; people are just jumping to that conclusion. If Coda is about a "temporal apocalypse" as reported, that could suggest (with the proviso that I'm purely speculating and have been told nothing about what's actually in the works) that the plan is to use timeline alteration to reconcile or align the novel continuity with the new canon, which doesn't seem to be something that they'd need to do if the plan were simply to end that continuity. And of course, there's still all the pre-Nemesis continuity that hasn't yet been affected by the new shows.

Given the closer coordination with the show staffs these days, it could be that there will still be a novel continuity going forward, just a less ambitious one that's following the lead of the shows rather than taking its own lead. I don't know if that will happen, but it's reckless to just assume that the only possibility is a return to pure standalones. After all, the "standalone-only" era in the '90s was a consequence of Richard Arnold's antagonistic view of tie-ins as something that needed to be kept in check. The modern view seems to be more of a partnership -- one that would still be led by the shows, but that could still have room for continuity, even if it's subtler than it's been.

The important thing is not to make assumptions. At this point, there are more unknowns than knowns, and that leaves a lot of room for alternative possibilities.

The important thing is not to make assumptions. At this point, there are more unknowns than knowns, and that leaves a lot of room for alternative possibilities.

Yes, I'm guilty of that myself. There is a "plan" we are told. On the one hand it's possible the "plan" was to end it in a big bang and that be that.

But it's also possible the currently running litverse is somehow re-aligned with the Picard continuity and continue at least in some fashion from there.

While it's probably reasonable to assume the litverse in it's current form in it's own continuity will not continue unchanged, there is the possibility that it will continue in a new way. Maybe they'll even find a way to not only continue the litverse, but continue it in such a way that it also serves as a prequel to Picard, which would actually increase the likelihood it could, in fact, continue, since it would actually be a tie-in to Picard.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe this is not the end, but simply a new beginning. :techman:

But why? I understand an interconnected continuity as A reason to read Star Trek books, but THE reason? You’re never going to want new adventures with your TNG friends? That seems tough.

Because I don't find the Discovery and Picard shows interesting enough to read books about them.

I am always more interested in interconnected books, and I don't have enough money to buy all the Star Trek novels.

Because I don't find the Discovery and Picard shows interesting enough to read books about them.

Nobody ever said those would be the only book series going forward. Certainly it stands to reason that the tie-in line would emphasize the current shows, but TOS and TNG have always been perennial top sellers, so they're unlikely to go anywhere -- as evidenced by the new TOS and TNG novels on the schedule for 2021.

I am always more interested in interconnected books, and I don't have enough money to buy all the Star Trek novels.

The whole point of a diverse tie-in line is that you don't have to. The idea is to offer a range of options for people with different tastes, whether it's just one or two series or every series. Even the interconnected books are usually designed to work if you only read their particular series, with the crossover elements being a bonus rather than a necessity.

If feasible, the library is a great help with that. Can sample the new book at no charge. If it doesn't grab you, back it goes! If you love it enough to revisit or reference, buy your own copy when you can! I'm restricted by both space and finances at the moment, so I have one small case for my Trek, ahem, canon -- essentially one shelf each for TOS, TNG, and DS9, a shelf for crossovers and such, a shared shelf for ENT and VOY, and a shelf for NF, SCE, Klingon Empire and so forth. So obviously the ones I love are keepers and the ones that I doubt I'll ever revisit go to a little free library or something to make more space.

Of course if you're not interested you're not interested and the rest is moot.

Just the fact that we’re seeing the first in-series TNG and DS9 novels since the early 2000s (when I was in high school, please stop the passage of time- No, wait, that’s probably the cause of the temporal apocalypse...) says that there’s still going to be plenty of focus on the classic series alongside Discovery/Picard/SNW/whatever comes next.

And the fact that the writers who’ve built the last twenty years of Trek Lit are still involved says that we can probably still expect both continuity and references to the groundwork established - there are nods to Litverse ideas in novels from Discovery and Picard, with Titan cast members appearing in The Dark Veil and references within the Discovery novels. I mean, hell, Number One got the name Una, pulled from the Legacies trilogy. There are ways the post-Nemesis novels, and anything else that screen Trek may decide to contradict, can still influence things in the ongoing continuity. It’s happened before - several modern novels have made callbacks and continuity nods to 80s novels. Vanguard references Jean Lorrah’s TOS novels, the Vulcan’s Soul trilogy takes much of Diane Duane’s Romulan exodus narrative and adapts it around the canon development, and that’s just off the top of my head.

The ongoing Litverse always had a potential expiration - if 09 Trek had had Spock say something like “the Romulans destroyed the Titan after it arrived, there were no survivors,” then that right there would have upended it. If the contract negotiations had fallen through in 2012 (for Cold Equations) or 2018, we wouldn’t even have the wrap up we’re getting in Coda, and, as said above, concluding because of new TV Trek and getting a proper resolution is absolutely the best case scenario of all.

Even if the continuity won’t be as tight , in the sense of ongoing stories and development, I deeply doubt that we’re seeing the end of novel continuity. It might have to be more subtle and low key, with less ongoing narratives, but that doesn’t mean they’re not connected - it’s still a shared universe.

Just because we turn the page of history, it doesn’t mean what came before is gone forever, the echoes undone.

I love to read Star Trek novels whether they are inter-connected or not. I had often wondered when we would see the day when the Trek litverse continuity would end. Now we know, but now we get more screen Star Trek along with novels inter-connected to that new continuity. Works for me!

“Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.”

Dunno why but while I am totally on board for more novels set during Kirk’s first five year mission,the thought of reading new novels set during the TNG television years is not something that appeals to me.

Whilst the publishers are probably hoping that this will be an ideal jumping on point for new readers,for this old reader it seems like a perfect jumping off point.:(

Dunno why but while I am totally on board for more novels set during Kirk’s first five year mission,the thought of reading new novels set during the TNG television years is not something that appeals to me.

Whilst the publishers are probably hoping that this will be an ideal jumping on point for new readers,for this old reader it seems like a perfect jumping off point.:(

I think they should focus on building out that period between the TV series and Nemesis. I’d like that more than stories during the TV series.

If feasible, the library is a great help with that. Can sample the new book at no charge. If it doesn't grab you, back it goes! If you love it enough to revisit or reference, buy your own copy when you can! I'm restricted by both space and finances at the moment, so I have one small case for my Trek, ahem, canon -- essentially one shelf each for TOS, TNG, and DS9, a shelf for crossovers and such, a shared shelf for ENT and VOY, and a shelf for NF, SCE, Klingon Empire and so forth. So obviously the ones I love are keepers and the ones that I doubt I'll ever revisit go to a little free library or something to make more space.

Of course if you're not interested you're not interested and the rest is moot.

We don't have Star trek books in the library were I am from

Back