Night Court sequel series in development

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Amasov, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I saw this news yesterday and this was my first and only reaction: What's the point of doing Night Court without Harry Anderson?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It would be hard to capture the same zany style without Reinhold Weege. And as much as the original show made it clear that Dan Fielding's womanizing was a despicable quality, it was still played for laughs more than would be acceptable today, so I'm not sure how they could approach Dan in a way that would work now.

It wasn't just his show. As goofy as Harry Stone was, he was still the relative straight man anchoring an ensemble of colorful weirdos. In many ways, Dan was more the standout character, along with Bull. You could probably find a number of good performers who could fill the anchor role and bring their own personality to it the way Anderson did.

Not to mention that a lot of the show's humor came from the wacky plaintiffs and defendants they dealt with, and the way the leads reacted to them. Though modern TV is more core cast-driven and less guest star-driven.

4. Amasov

This is the Dan Fielding I want to see.

StarCruiser likes this.
  5. Gordie

Gordie Captain Captain

I loved Night Court, but agree with most. The new show probably won't be anything like the old one. Not expecting much, but will have a look as always.

6. Christopher

Which is not intrinsically a bad thing. Better to find a fresh way to approach it, to honor it while moving forward, than try to copy the past exactly. The challenge is finding a way to do that successfully, which is far from a given.

Caretaker and Gordie like this.
  7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

If it happens I hope they bring Brent Spiner for a guest shot.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think it would just make me miss Harry Anderson too much. :(

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Fleet Captain

Hopefully they ignore the final season..that was pretty rough.

10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

^ If they want to keep scumbag Dan Fielding, they pretty much have to ignore the final season. Or at least, the final few episodes.

11. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember what happened during the final season.

12. Amasov

In the final episode, at least, Harry remains judge, Christine is elected to public office (congress, I believe), Dan leaves to follow his heart (which is Christine), and Bull leaves the planet with some aliens. I don't recall what Mac did, but, in the end, just Harry and Roz remain.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

In regards to Dan, not only did he follow Christine to Washington (there was talk of a spin-off starring Dan Fielding back then, so Dan trying to win Christine's heart would probably have been the basis for that), but before that he had an epiphany on how horrible he had been towards women.

Mac went to try and make it as a professional filmmaker.

14. Christopher

Hmm, I guess that's how they could get away with bringing him back in the post-MeToo era, if he's still reformed. They'd have to find a new basis for humor in the character, though.

On the other hand, given what an incredible dramatic actor John Larroquette is, I could almost wish for a Lou Grant approach of spinning off a sitcom character into a serious drama.

15. dupersuper

How I envy you...

publiusr and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. captain crow

captain crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

silver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit
    Sounds like they're trying a little to hard to keep the status quo of the original show by having Harry's daughter as the judge and Dan in the same position decades later. It might have been a bit more interesting if they had Dan, who is no longer a lecherous pompous ass, be the judge.

The show's premise? Maybe.

The show's humor? A chunk of it no. It's a product of a time where they could get away with stuff that' s offensive by today's standards.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a big fan of the original, but I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I think with the right writers and cast they could pull it off, but it would definitely be a very different show from the original.

Qonundrum likes this.
  18. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Hope they find someone unique to play the judge, and not just cast an actor. Harry Anderson was a talented magician and comic.

dupersuper likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. Night Court was one of my favorite shows, but if someone came to me and asked me to produce a sequel, I'd say no thanks. I don't feel the need to blemish a great show with a new one 30 years after the fact that will presumably have none of the magic that made the former such a success.

20. dupersuper

Important question: is the reunion episode in 30 Rock considered canon?

Qonundrum likes this.