Night Court revival

I think we have sort of a pinpoint for how old Dan is. In the original series two-parter where sex in the hospital puts Dan into a coma he later tells Harry he's 40 years old. That episode is from 1986. So that would make Dan 77 years old if the revival takes place in 2023.

I guess I know what I'll be watching on the DVR this evening.

Between getting sideswiped on my way to the office, and suffering a minor hand injury, I didn't feel like making chicken scaloppine last night, and so we went to Denny's right after Jeopardy.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. *hugs*

This started out with a rather distasteful premise, but managed to make, well, not quite a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And yes, Chekhov's keys in the cocktail shaker. And I suppose this does count as some character development for Neil.

With a tip of the hat to a Taxi tagline from Reverend Jim*
Private clubs whose primary benefit is their exclusivity, corrupt politicians out to scapegoat judges for being soft on crime (i.e., soft on the crimes they aren't committing) -- we get enough of that in real life!
_____
*After spending the entire episode playing Pac-Man: "I don't know why I play this game. Throbbing noises, flashing lights, monsters chasing you -- I get enough of that in real life."

I don't live in New York City, but is there the concern that the DA's office is being super tough on crime right now?

Yes! It was a terrific callback to earlier in the episode.
Also a callback to 0105 when Olivia drank the coins in her coffee.

I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered the entire original series brand new on DVD. Not a "set" per se, just all 9 seasons at once for the same price as all 9 separately were at their lowest prices on ebay. It's been so many years since I watched full episodes, it should be like new again.

I don't live in New York City, but is there the concern that the DA's office is being super tough on crime right now?
I don't live in New York City either. But political reactionaries playing the "tough on crime" card has been going on across the country, at least since the Rose Bird witch-hunt in California (the Far Right's real objection to Bird was that she was tough on white-collar crime, and tough on crimes against the environment, and crimes against the poor).

The exact opposite - cashless bail, revolving door, felonies being reduced and released, many violent criminals released immediately and going right back to hurting people...

Also a callback to 0105 when Olivia drank the coins in her coffee.

I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered the entire original series brand new on DVD. Not a "set" per se, just all 9 seasons at once for the same price as all 9 separately were at their lowest prices on ebay. It's been so many years since I watched full episodes, it should be like new again.
We have it in our dinner-watching rotation. It's still drop-dead funny.

In TOS episode 0103, they find that Harry has an arrest record :lol:

Interesting parallel for both Abbey's parents.

Not that good. The earlier show was remarkable because it combined two extremes in each of the characters, and shows like WKRP even better because you could see the extremes clash with each other as characters mature as the seasons roll by.

As one who takes great pride in the fact that I have never owned, much less carried, a full-on smartphone capable of downloading apps, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing app-obsession getting so mercilessly skewered.

It was enjoyable enough. Seeing Dan still capable of the greedy ruthlessness that was once one of his hallmarks in the original series was fun and when he referenced that he'd lost out on wealth opportunities before it reminded me of when he wanted to sell a piece of land he owned to a corporate raider and then got screwed out of the deal when he demanded more money for his real estate.

Back