Nice and Nasty Celebrities...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TedShatner10, Mar 26, 2008.

1. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've met a ton of celebrities and sports figures over the years. Some great, some not-so-great. One thing I do have to say is that you have to cut 'em a little slack in some situations. At fan cons, boy...if we were them, we'd probably be stand-offish soemtimes, too. Gushing nerds coming at you telling you that you're their most favorite person ever!! It is probably overwhelming and a bit insane.

There are situations outside of those where they're hoping not to be overwhelmed by fans when you can get a better sense of who they really are when outside of their arena.

Some of the nicest I have met over the years:

James Brown
    Jeff Daniels
    Ted "Million Dollar Man" Dibiase
    Robin Zander
    Tommy Thayer
    Wil Wheaton
    Chase Masterson
    Jeff Conine
    Pat Summitt
    Bernie Kosar
    Chuck Berry

A few of the worst:
    Nancy Kerrigan
    Prince
    Rosie O'Donnell
    Steve Spurrier

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I just thought of another one which fits this thread. Twenty-something years ago, when I was working nights (and mostly unpaid) at a small radio station, on of the other on-air staff brought this guy into the studio with him one evening. He's just turned twenty that day, and was more than a little bit drunk, but we talked for a while and he seemed like a decent, easy-going sort.

Around his neck, he was wearing a pair of miniature gold drumsticks on a chain, so I asked him about them. He said something like "Oh, yeah, I play drums in this band" and turned out to be Tommy Lee, of Mötley Crüe (who at that time had just signed their first major-label deal -- I think it was with Warner Bros.) I met him a couple of times after that, and he was always the same: friendly and no ego trip at all.

(I can't say the same for his bandmate, Nikki Sixx, who struck me as being arrogant and a complete jerk.)

3. kitkat

kitkat Admiral Admiral

Now, why am I not the least bit surprised. I won't say on here what we FSU fans call him....there are probably children around.

My cousin's fiance had the BEST story about him: She worked in a physical therapy office in Gainesville when Spurrier was still coaching there. The office handled all athletics at UF, not just the football players. He called to talk to one of the doctors. Here's the conversation:

Spurrier: Can I speak to Dr. So-and-so? This is Steve Spurrier.
    Carrie: What was the name?
    Spurrier (very excitedly, like he was happy that someone was happy to talk to him): Steve Spurrier!
    Carrie: No, I heard your name, I meant the doctor's name.
    Spurrier (scoffing): Oh.

She said she could practically hear the air deflate out of him. :guffaw::guffaw:

4. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

My parents spotted Redd Foxx in a minivan next to our rental car at a stoplight in Las Vegas when I was a kid. He was cool enough to open the door and give us glossy autographed photos. :lol:

One of my friends went to HS with Short Round from Temple of Doom and said that guy was a complete douchebag in real life.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I've met a few celebrities, though I usually don't know who they are until some one tells me. Molly Ringwald lives in my old neighborhood, she used to come into the ice cream shop where I worked during college, and I've seen her interact with some interesting fans. She always seems friendly and patient. And she tipped well.
    Ethan Hawke never tipped, at all -- and people almost always tipped me. But that's the only basis I have for judging his character.
    In that same ice cream shop works a friend of mine, Katie. She has an ongoing feud with James Iha. They absolutely loathe each other. He is a bit of a snob, and doesn't tip, and she can be a hothead. He used to pop his head in, and if he saw that Katie was working he'd exchange Evil Death Glares with her for a moment, scowl, and go to the vintage clothing store next door.

I think my favorite celebrity encounter though was when I ran into Harrison Ford -- quite literally. I was running one way around the corner of 6th avenue and 8th street and he was running the other other way around the corner of 6th avenue and 8th street. We collided, and since he is about twice my size I ended up on my butt on the pavement. He helped me up and quickly apologized and then ran off. I was completely dazed, I barely knew what happened, but there were two women watching the whole event and they said, "Harrison Ford just knocked you down, girl! Han Solo just knocked you down!

6. SlaveOfSeven

SlaveOfSeven Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not me, but my sister once met some guy at a party who seemed strangely familiar and got talking to him about music. It wasn't until afterwards that she found out he was Robert Plant. :lol: Nice guy, apparently.

7. PK95

PK95 Captain Captain

When I worked in a Blockbuster in Nashville about 7-8 years ago, Jeff Fisher, coach of the Tennessee Titans, would come in to rent NFL games for his kids constantly....and always had a huge late fee. He would never once complain and was an overall nice guy. His wife on the other hand was not a nice person....at all.

We would also get some Contemporary Christian singers that I am huge fans of. Mark Stuart of Audio Adrenaline was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He always addressed me by name and signed my cd covers and had his picture taken with me. Also, Dan Haseltine of Jars of Clay would come in quiet often. He was more shy but very generous anyway. Chris Rice was okay...but he was always there with kids he was mentoring so I understood the reason. Michael W. Smith was more than friendly. I almost flipped out when I saw him standing in front of my register. He gave encouraging words to me that helped me in a tough decision to go back home.

I did get to meet my favorite Contemporary Christian singer, Rebecca St. James, when a friend won a radio contest and invited me to join her for breakfast with Rebecca. That was amazing to be able to talk one-on-one with her like that. She was friendly and down to earth.

8. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We lived part time in Yosemite during the 70's when my dad worked there. One winter break Natile Wood and Robert Wagner stayed in the valley. They took their kids ice skating when my brother and sister and I were there. Hardly knew they were there, I sat down on a bench at the fire pit next to Natile without knowing she was there even.

Saw the guy who played Orger in the Nerd's movies in a fast food place in Barstow, big guy. Chatted everyone up.

Used to go to the Change of Hobit in LA for book signings. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell were an interesting pair especially after they had a few in them. Micheal Moorcock and Philipe Jose Farmer both spent time to chat with just about everyone while signing. (Had a good discussion with PJF about the design of the double wheel paddle boat where we started drawing diagrams on the table to figure out the best layout)

9. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

You do two films with Spielberg, where else can you go but down? He peaked at 12.

This one will take you back. When Joan Jett and the Blackhawks visited my radio station, the bass player started yanking albums from our library and throwing them around saying, "This is sh*t, and this is sh*t ..."

Our Program Director blew a gasket and physically threw the guy out of our studio.

--Ted

10. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

A few months ago I met Iain Banks in a book signing, and a few years ago now, I also had a Discworld book signed by Terry Pratchett; both seemed nice enough for the most part. And maybe two years ago I can also vaguely remember seeing Paul McGaan (Withnal & I, Alien 3) rushing about the Virgin Megastore; it was hard to judge what he was like, because he was briskly walking about (without slowing down) and avoiding eye contact. :guffaw:

Paul was quite a small bloke.

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

This one will take you back. When Joan Jett and the Blackhawks visited my radio station,

Blackhearts

12. Exit8A

Exit8A Captain Captain

I still remember going to Vegas in '05, and the World Series of Poker was going on, still in the earlier events though. A buddy of mine and I saw then-defending Main Event champion Greg Raymer playing a cash game. We asked him if he didn't mind if we took a picture of him while playing, instead, he got up and asked us if we wanted to be in the picture with him. For him to stop what he was doing and offer to take a picture with us was pretty cool, not to mention he is apparently one of the friendliest players both on and off the table. Good to see that winning $5 million didn't affect him as a person.

Another Vegas encounter with another poker player happened a year before, when Mike Matusow sat at the table next to ours at a strip club. He may seem obnoxious at the poker table, but my buddies and I got to talking to him, and he was anything but. He didn't seem standoffish and boorish, but he actually took the time to talk to us. Apparently, away from the table, people seem to actually like the guy, and based on what we saw, I would have to agree.

13. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard these stories a few times and they still make me laugh! :lol:

The only "celeb" I've met is David Prowse. Nice enough guy, but a bit of a racist. He referred to James Earl Jones as the token black actor, stating that was why they replaced his voice. Talk about uncomfortable.

I do have a Leonard Nimoy story. I used to live right near him in Lake Tahoe. My brother went to his house and slipped a letter under his door. A few weeks later, he sent my brother a letter back with a signed picture. He also goes to my synagogue sometimes, but I always seem to miss him.

Also, the eldest Princess of Saudi Arabia (Fasil's first daughter) is a nice elderly lady. She used to invite us to the palace every once in a while.

EDIT: If we are including poker celebs, then I've got a nice list. I've played HU with Howard Lederer and Erik Siedel (I beat Siedel) and hung out with Andy Bloch, Robert Williamson III, Clonie Gowen, Jennifer Harmon, and Phil Gordon. I actually flirted with Phil Gordon's GF for a bit. And, like in TSQ's story, he almost bowled me over. And I'm 6'3". I also had a nice chat with Chris Ferguson where we talked a bit about Computer Science.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  14. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Well, that's what I get for posting at 4:30am with no sleep for 20 hours. And I ALMOST double-checked it, but my nose was about to hit the keyboard.

Correction appreciated.

--Ted

15. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, if "fans" get upset with him just because he's serious or can't sign their autographs even after giving them a reason, can you really blame him for not wanting to bother with us?

Consider what it must be like to endure people coming up to you all the time asking for you for something, especially those over zealous fans that will still follow you after you've given them an autograph. It's annoying and why many Trek actors don't always enjoy meeting the fans.

It's one of the main reasons why Trek fans have the stereotype of being socially inept.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  16. M'Sharak

I've seen the same sort of thing happen with pop singers and other celebrities. Fans can get so possessive that they feel they're owed X, Y and Z by their favorite star, above and beyond the performance, and if they don't get it... well, it's not too hard to see how someone might start wanting to keep a little distance.

17. exodus

Exactly!

Look at how fans took offence to William Shatner's joke about "getting a life" or how many take serious offence at Kirstie Ally for not being a fan of Trek, as if that should matter to an actor when taking a job. :wtf:

While I understand there are celebs who are assholes, many would like to enjoy their time as a regular person.

18. M'Sharak

Or Teri Garr for being uncomfortable about the amount of attention she still gets for her long-ago Trek appearance.

[realitycheck] She's not dissing you, guys! It was just another weekly gig, okay? [/realitycheck]

19. exodus

Don't just say it, preach it!!!:techman:

20. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

William Shatner being in a light hearted sketch really alienated some of his fans? I know Shatner has a deserved reputation of being a pompous premadonna, but on the other hand he gives the impression of being a gentle and sensitive person.