NFL Football 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Actually, he interviewed yesterday.

While it's incredible that the Bears took this long to interview Martz, given his openly stated interest in the position, he's a terrible fit for the team.

He just really doesn't fit with the Bears. His offensive style, which is based upon the quarterback making five- to seven-step drops, requires a much better line than what the Bears have, and it also puts emphasis on what is one of the Bears' biggest weaknesses, the receiving corps. Devin Hester may be a ridiculous speedster, but he's functionally retarded and incapable of running a route that isn't "go long" or "slant," which means the team lacks the field-stretching receiver that Martz's offense absolutely needs.

There's also the fact that Martz doesn't know what a tight end is. About the only positive is that Martz does love throwing to the halfback, so while Forte might only get 200 carries, he'd probably get 90 receptions.

I'm just worried that the one year of Martz (let's face it, the coaching staff and probably upper management is getting shitcanned unless the team over-performs to an insane degree) would most likely get Cutler killed on the field, without leading to much of an upswing in offensive production. That, and I can't wait to see Devin Hester trying to make complex reads and figure out new routes on the fly against defensive coverages, only to forget where he is and watch the ball sail five feet past him.

Christ, at least Mike Tice, as [​IMG] as that idea is, actually knows what a tight end does, and he might believe in blocking pass rushers.

2. The Great Meech

The Great Meech Vice Admiral Admiral

For the... third time, is it?

In fairness, Leinart wasn't statistically all that bad when he started. I recall hearing his numbers were notably better than a normal backup's would be in the same posistion. Kurt Warner simply fit the offense better when he took over (the offense being Larry Fitzgerland and Anquan Boldin. And... yeah, those two.)

Thing is, his confidence probably's shot, especially after the Tennessee game (losing to Vince Young again probably had him speaking in tongues for days.) And numbers only say so much. What did he actually look like, playing on field?

3. Timby

According to multiple sources, Martz is down in Tennessee today, visiting (and apparently getting the blessing of) Jay Cutler. Everyone, say hello to your 2010 offensive coordinator!

So since there has been literally zero progress on the defensive side of things since Fewell went to New York, it seems pretty safe to reason that the Bears' coordinators next year are going to be Martz and Marinelli. Apparently this team is always going to be Lovie and Friends as long as he's in charge. [​IMG]

4. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Hall of Fame voting tomorrow. Who makes it in, who gets snubbed?

[​IMG]

5. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

Who's going to win the Super Bowl?

I can't believe there's no poll or even a question as to who is going to win this years Super Bowl so let me ask which team do you think will win the Super Bowl?
    The Colts or the Saints!?

James

6. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Colts. Manning is on his game on a normal day, and he is on fire when he is behind and pissed off. The Jets game showed that perfectly. In the end, I think that the Colts will be tough to stop, especially since the Saints didn't show a ton of offense two weeks ago. The Saints scored a lot of points, but when you look at the stats, it would seem that the Saints were using really short fields to their advantage. Give them a long field and there won't be much happening.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith are the givens.

Shannon Sharpe? Cortez Kennedy? Cris Carter?

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sharpe and Carter should get in, especially Sharpe.

9. Timby

Oh, dear God. The Bears did it. They actually did it.

Remember a month ago, when they canned Ron Turner as offensive coordinator and told Lovie to give up the defense, and the team announced that it was going outside the organization for a new defensive coordinator?

Nah, they just promoted Rod Marinelli. Rod Marinelli, the defensive line coach who said on multiple occasions that he didn't want the job. The coach who had his agent say, at the Senior Bowl, that he didn't want the job. The coach who managed to lead the Detroit Lions to a utterly perfect 0-16 season.

Jesus fucking Christ, Bears.

To top it all off, Lovie's son is the defensive quality control coach. I can't even describe how sick I am of Lovie Smith connections on this entire coaching staff. The group of Smith, Marinelli and Martz is a great combination of former coaches / coordinators. Smith was once a coordinator for Martz. Martz was once a coordinator for Marinelli. Now Marinelli and Martz are coordinators for Lovie. They are playing career musical chairs.

Fuck this team. Martz's offense is going to get Cutler decapitated on the field by Week 3, Marinelli's defense is going to give up a thousand points and Lovie's just going to stand on the sidelines staring off into space, waiting for someone to bring him a cookie.

10. Aragorn

For the Hall of Fame vote, these are the final five, which comes down to them voting simply yes or no:

Russ Grimm
    Ricky Jackson
    John Randle
    Jerry Rice
    Emmit Smith

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

As reported at SI.com here, the 2010 inductees are:
    Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, John Randle, Russ Grimm, Rickey Jackson, Floyd Little, and Dick LeBeau.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

How things change... ;)

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith in the same class? I find that incredibly awesome. I grew up in that era, I loved watching Rice play, and even though I hate the Cowboys, Emmitt Smith was so awesome to watch.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. Aragorn

Smith is going into the Hall as a Cardinal and Rice as a Bronco. :p

15. tomalak301

I would be absolutely heart-broken if that actually did happen.

16. tomalak301

Re: Who's going to win the Super Bowl?

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to you too. :techman:

I hope it's a great game, and I'm rooting for the Saints, but I won't Shed any tears if the Colts win. I like Payton Manning quite a bit and watching him work reminds me is a little bit of Young and Montana. That's always a good thing.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really have no stake in who wins, but I'm sorta hoping it's the Saints - just because they have never won it before, and God knows New Orleans needs a lift to their spirits.

Silly question time. How is it decided where the Super Bowl will be played in any given year? Do they just pick at random ? Is there any particular reason why it's not in one of the actual teams' home stadiums (the Superdome or Lucas Oil Stadium)?

18. Timby

As a defensive line coach, absolutely. He transformed the line and even got something out of the corpse that is Adewale Ogunleye.

As a defensive coordinator, fuck no.

19. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

By that logic, Detroit should be winning every year.

The owners pick, usually about 3-5 years out based on bids by prospective host cities. The game has always been in a city with an NFL franchise.

20. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cities with teams make a bid for the location several years in advance and then the owners vote. Link

However, you'll also note how it the Bowl is either in nice locations or indoors. I couldn't find whether or not this is by design or just how the votes tend to fall, but I wish that they had the big game in a wider variety of locations. A snowy Super Bowl would be fun.

EDIT... And The 4th hanson bro beat me to the punch.