• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

NFL 2026: The Mendoza Line

Texans got the Cowgirls next week, and now I fear the Texans will start the season with a glorious record of 0-4.

It's enough to make even Worf puke.
 
I step away from the television to go to the bathroom with the score tied, thinking the game would go into overtime; only to come back to find that the Ravens have marched down the field and kicked the winning field goal.
Texans got the Cowgirls next week
 
It feels like this season in the NFL will be a season of survival. Who will get through it injury free. So many injuries so far in the first 3 weeks.

Players aren’t used to being hit anymore. Less practice with pads and don’t protect themselves because they think the rules do. That and while the helmets are getting bigger, the rest of the pads have shrunk to a ridiculous degree.
 
Players aren’t used to being hit anymore. Less practice with pads and don’t protect themselves because they think the rules do. That and while the helmets are getting bigger, the rest of the pads have shrunk to a ridiculous degree.
When I look at archive footage from the 80's & 90's, I'm amazed at how big the padding was then compared to today. I get that they favor mobility and maneuverability over protection these days, but they seem to have forgotten that football is, first and foremost, a full-contact sport. I'm assuming, though, that the pads have newer kinds of materials that absorb and redistribute kinetic energy better than the old rigs did, but physics are physics. Some things cannot be mitigated completely.

And yeah, those helmets with the external padding look really strange to me - like a "Don't take the cork off the fork, Ruprecht" kind of situation.

Extra points to anyone who catches that reference. ;)
 
When I look at archive footage from the 80's & 90's, I'm amazed at how big the padding was then compared to today. I get that they favor mobility and maneuverability over protection these days, but they seem to have forgotten that football is, first and foremost, a full-contact sport. I'm assuming, though, that the pads have newer kinds of materials that absorb and redistribute kinetic energy better than the old rigs did, but physics are physics. Some things cannot be mitigated completely.

And yeah, those helmets with the external padding look really strange to me - like a "Don't take the cork off the fork, Ruprecht" kind of situation.

Extra points to anyone who catches that reference. ;)
Oklahoma! Oklahoma!
 
The beat goes on...



On September 28, 1951, Norm Van Brocklin threw for an NFL record 554 passing yards at LA Memorial Coliseum for the Los Angeles Rams against the New York Yankees. The previous record was 468 pass yards by Johnny Lujack.

It's unfathomable that a passing record from 1951 has not been broken in the most favorable passing era in league history. At the end of 1951, the all-time passing leader was Sammy Baugh with 21,734 yards. Today, Baugh ranks 108th all-time, and Tom Brady stands as the leader with 89,214.
 
All it took was two wins for the Browns fans to do a 180 on Watson.

spotted-today-at-a-grocery-store-in-ohio-v0-tuu9wdmkrash1.webp
 
Now Baker Mayfield is out. Will miss at least three weeks with a dislocated thumb. Undrafted rookie Jalon Daniels takes over at QB.

So how many starting QBs is that through three weeks? Sam Darnold, Jaxson Dart, Jayden Daniels, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Michael Penix (although he was hurt before the season began), Caleb Williams.
 
When I look at archive footage from the 80's & 90's, I'm amazed at how big the padding was then compared to today. I get that they favor mobility and maneuverability over protection these days, but they seem to have forgotten that football is, first and foremost, a full-contact sport. I'm assuming, though, that the pads have newer kinds of materials that absorb and redistribute kinetic energy better than the old rigs did, but physics are physics. Some things cannot be mitigated completely.

And yeah, those helmets with the external padding look really strange to me - like a "Don't take the cork off the fork, Ruprecht" kind of situation.

Extra points to anyone who catches that reference. ;)

May I take your trident, sir?
 
Well, Raiders are 3-0 with two wins on the road. We were 3-0 a few years ago and made the playoffs and got booted in the first round. But this really doesn't feel like THAT 3-0. This seems more like the start of something.

What is going on with the Raiders really emphasizes the importance of good coaching and good quarterbacking. Raiders haven't had both in the same season since we had Gruden and Rich Gannon back in the early 2000's.

Our run game still needs work. But one thing I can see happening at some point this season, is Mike Washington Jr. taking over the starting running back job from Ashton Jenty. Never trust those little a-holes from Boise State. :lol: Washington averaged over 10 yards per carry on 5 carries.

Defense played well overall considering the Saints, I think, had been pretty good offensively.
 
And I think it shows what Klint Kubiak brought to the Seahawks as Offensive Coordinator that they struggled yesterday against the Commanders with their ground game.
 
Am not watching MNF but saw it on a screen as I passed by. Andy Dalton vs. Case Keenum is probably not what ESPN was hoping for.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top