Spoilers NEWS FROM NY COMIC CON 2019...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by DaveyNY, Oct 4, 2019.

1. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Head canon.

2. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    There may not be any 'Money' per say, but there is Gold Pressed Latinum and Credits, it makes sense for there to be some kind of barter system in place.
    (it's just not Government Regulated, except by the Ferengi)

3. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Even if they don't have a monetary economy, they might have store assistants who can help you choose what device best fits your needs if you're not that technologically inclined. People might not necessarily know all the differences between a Martian- and a Bolian-built holoprojector. One could also go to the store to try them out before deciding which one to take home.

Longinus likes this.
  4. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

It could also be that not everybody has an Industrial Replicator installed in their kitchen.
    They might have a standard one for basic food and clothing needs, but go shopping for either hand made or large scale items.
    Also, I'm pretty sure there will still be Farmers Markets for those folks who prefer their food fresh.

And it just makes sense that somebody somewhere is eventually going to develop an allergy to replicated food.
    ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    SJGardner likes this.
  5. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

The store may be owned by Ferengi, they do certainly still use money.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting! It’s been years since I’ve read this (and I do recall it now). That “Cloud Game” they mention is not unlike the “Klin Zha” game, played by Klingon Thought Admirals in John M. Ford’s book “The Final Reflection”. Additionally, there is a rule variant of Klin Zha called “The Clouded Game” (Nearly identical to the one mentioned in the character bio) and a player in the game called a “Lancer”, the latter of which is mentioned in Konom’s bio, as having “excelled at the Lance”. Can’t be coincidence.

Is there a date of publication for this page? I’m curious which might have come first.

7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

It's from DC so it has to be sometime in 1984 and I know it started just after The Wrath of Khan story.
    I think Mike Barr was the guy in charge of the Trek comics back then.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  8. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. That's exactly what happens. What's the issue?

9. Hatter76

Hatter76 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

well the hair is a Hairpiece situation, which Spiner was wearing one even in later films, but definitely would need now, the hairpiece would also be cheaper than digital work for the hair, however, digitally touching up the edges of hair-lace may be needed, but this mess is genuinely mess, have to wonder why they are pulling the hairline too far forward

10. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except they didn't defeat Control at all. Control used them to get rid of its earlier incarnation, Uraei. It said that explicitly at the end of the book. The only thing that didn't quite go according to plan was the projected number of deaths during the Borg invasion.

That book series is ending because of PIC, though. I'm assuming that was the point, anyway. I'm pretty sure the upcoming Collateral Damage is the very last one. (Could be wrong though. The writers have been kind somewhat coy about just exactly what's going to happen to the post-Nemesis book continuity and how they may or may not tie it in to the new PIC continuity.)

11. Longinus

Thing is, the hair is not just a hairpiece. It is partly digital. There is something weird going on his hairline when he turns his head.

ITDUDE, SJGardner and SolarisOne like this.
  12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Oh for crying out loud, I hope like Hell They have Picard ask Data why his hair looks funky during the dream.
    :rolleyes:

XCV330 likes this.
  13. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I figure it's just a sign that the VFX is nowhere near finished for the season as a whole. Though, I do have to wonder why they would use a scene that's obviously not finished for a trailer. :shrug:

14. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

The problem with the novels isn’t that the old ones will vanish, it’s that new ones in that continuity won’t be written.

For 20 years the novels have spun an interconnected web, referencing events in each other. That web won’t continue.

15. Longinus

Sorry to be blunt, but isn't there a whole subsection on these forums for the people who care about this? Perhaps take this line of discussion there?

dinzy and Nerys Myk like this.
  16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

And Final Reflection was also published in '84. Hmm... Too many similarities to be a coincidence. I wonder if they were sharing notes.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the trailer again and I was wrong about Kung Fu guy. He's actually more like a Samurai guy with swords and everything. I hope to like him more when the series drops, but like I was saying yesterday, I hope they aren't just "cameos" while the characters we know other than Picard steal the limelight. Heck, with Seven, I wouldn't mind if she's only in the actual series for about 10 minutes or so.

18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

There's only going to be 10 episodes, I'm sure everybody will get their moments to shine.

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the trailer I thought it was really neat they had Riker and Troi in it and Data in a Picard dream scene.I wonder who Dahj is and the mystery surrounding her character backstory.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm a bit insensitive but I've lived with this for years. Novels not continuing or properties going a different direction.

I know it's a risk but a new show doesn't invalidate the novels. A fan of the novels may like end up liking the new show, or treasure the novels more. Either reaction is OK. If Picard is rubbish, novels are still there. As I pointed out earlier, there are novels were Kirk doesn't die. I prefer those to Generations.

I'm sure this sounds far more dismissive than I mean to but I'm trying to be positive.

Jarvisimo likes this.