New Picard Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Actually, V'ger shot at them regardless of what they did and didn't do. My take was it sent signals out to everything machine it encountered and when it got no reply it recognized it said, "nope, nobody home. Digitize it." Epsilon Nine's crew guessed V'ger attacked because of the scans, but that was pure speculation.

Nothing Kirk decided affected the attack, I suspect. It was only Spock's "I sense...puzzlement. We have been contacted. Why have we not replied?" that tipped them off that that intruder was trying to communicate and Spock subsequently found the signal. Were it not for Spock, they were 100% toast.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show doesn't need action. Just update the conference and ready room stuff with constant shaky cam. Or the SW prequel were Picard like Yoda is constantly sitting on his duff pondering the plot or walk and talks in badly rendered temples and corridors. Jason

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I didn't say V'Ger wouldn't send a signal to them at all. My argument was how long it would've taken for V'Ger to do so. But your take on V'Ger's motivation makes more sense. The Klingon torpedoes would have Zero Effect on V'Ger, so any hostility put up by them or that would've been put up by the Enterprise had they gone that way wouldn't have effected V'Ger one bit.

4. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

Action is fine, Star Trek has always had action, the problem with Nu-Trek is that it's just stupid action setpieces that usually have some wildly dumb setup designed to hit those parts of your brain that go "Wow cool, here's some Serotonin! Don't think about all those plotholes or how stupid this actually is", it's not just a Trek issue, it's very much an issue across the board with big budget media at the moment. If I want a big dumb action setpiece, I don't think Star Trek, I think Mission Impossible or something along those lines. Action in Trek I think should always be more along the lines of episodes like Balance of Terror or AR-558 where the action is strategic and meaningful to the plot and characters.

Either way on the Picard Trailer, thoughts are, everything with Picard and such looks good and tickles my nostalgia bone, everything else looks like a budget Expanse ripoff.

Longinus likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't AR-558 the one where you have to pretend we've never seen "wide field" setting on phasers for it to make any sense whatsoever? No "shutting off your brain" or "ignoring plot holes" there...

TPezz, PiotrB, burningoil and 3 others like this.
  6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

AR-558 has some good drama but it's a WW2 film done in an episode - it makes absolutely no sense in the context of a highly advanced post scarcity polity.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

We saw the tail end of a fight that had dragged on for five months, whereas any contemporary force would have run out of ammo in two days, or perhaps three, tops. It's not as if we could plausibly argue these folks would have any grenades left, say, or could fire their guns at any setting above "bare minimum". We saw them checking their power packs: this never ever happens elsewhere in Trek, bar the ST5:TFF shuttle before assault on Paradise City, so this was a special situation indeed. All-scarcity for a welcome once!

Worse still, we saw that responing to an attack in a sensible manner was a stupid thing to do, because the enemy was faking the attacks and only making the good guys waste ammo. So using a wide beam would be double-dumbass...

Timo Saloniemi

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

B-4
    F-8
    I'm starting to wonder if Data was really D-8A and Lore L-0R

9. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

All the weapons would be recharged when the defiant was in orbit (or should have been)

10. Lord Garth

If Discovery actually was what some people describe -- a non-stop action fest every minute of every episode -- I wouldn't watch it. Nor would I defend it.

The closest DSC gets to the image they paint of the series is "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part II". That episode is red meat to them. Even though they might say they hate the episode, they love it. Not because they actually like the episode. No. They love it because they can point to it and say, "There! There! You see?! Non-stop action from start to finish! Look at what Star Trek has become!" And they get non-stop pleasure from trashing the series. So anything they think they can use against it is a plus for them.

The runners up would be "Into the Forest I Go" (the mid-season finale of S1) and "What's Past Is Prologue" (the last Mirror Universe episode). Do you know what all three of these episodes have in common? They all ended an arc. Those are the kinds of places where you would expect to see the most action.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    TPezz, Jaster, PiotrB and 3 others like this.
  11. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Non-stop action is merely one of the many faults with "Such Sweet Sorrow", but I certainly wouldn't characterise Discovery particularly actiony overall. There are some episodes which have too much action, but not enough for it to be a trend. (That asteroid field podracing scene in particular comes to mind. That is very stereotypical model computer gamey CGI chase without any feeling of real danger as none of it feels real in the first place. Modern films are full of this.)

Kelvin movies are super actiony and too fast paced though. I'm not sure I can say they suffer from it, as with a lower pace it would be even more apparent how nonsensical and full of holes the plots are. Beyond would have benefited from spending more time on the story and less on action though, as there the story actually isn't painfully stupid.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even with things like the Abrams' films I am not inclined to say "it's non stop action." Certainly it is faster paced, but I'll freely admit that it is the character moments that keep me invested in this films, and the stories, not the pacing or the action.

13. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

ITDUDE, Jaster and Tuskin38 like this.
  14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm sure there's many folks that think that's clever, but personally I think it's just dumb and it really doesn't belong in this thread.
    :thumbdown:

15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, she wasn't in orbit even though she should have been... But fleeing from the Jem'Hadar instead.

Fighting in Trek is subject to ambiguities basically because there is so little of it. The heroes or even the sidekicks very seldom set out to fight: the fight gets to them, and they deal with it, while doing something more significant on the side (such as winning, by means other than the putative "way Starfleet routinely fights"). Even multiple seasons of DS9 dedicated to war managed to avoid actually showing the heroes doing much of it.

Is PIC going to give us more? That is, less, as in less ambiguity? Doubtful - Starfleet is off focus now, and all the fighting Picard is going to do is bound to be unconventional. This doesn't mean there wouldn't be action, including fighting action. It just means we get swordfights, as in the trailer, and clever tricks and insanely asymmetric combat (one ship against an empire or two sort of insane from the looks of it). Once again meaning that we can't tell correct from incorrect, because we only watch outliers.

Timo Saloniemi

16. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

Some interesting info from the german dubbing of the trailer: In the trailer, Stewart is dubbed by Ernst Meincke who is a famous german voice actor. He dubbed Patrick Stewart over the course of most TNG seasons.

Officially, Meincke retired over 5 years ago due to a stroke. Here is the list of his voice acting jobs, the last one was in 2013:

https://www.synchronkartei.de/sprecher/433/2

It is kind of strange how CBS managed to get Meincke for the Job considering his health.

Also this might be another hint towards an early death of Picard, maybe even in season one. I don’t see how Meincke wouks be able to keep up the work for several seasons

unimatrix7 likes this.
  17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doubtful it means anything about Picard's demise. Plus, I don't see how Patrick Stewart will be able to keep up the work for several seasons, either! It just means the series will be a limited run.

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Bringing Picard back in his own series just for the sake of killing him off is the stupidest idea ever. I hope CBS has more brains than that.

Longinus likes this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no reason for Picard to die just because the actors who play him are moving towards retirement. Rather grim idea.

20. Lord Garth

This is one Hell of a stretch. They'll have him do the voice until he can't.

Not the same franchise, but the Japanese voice actors from Dragon Ball Z continued to voice their characters on Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Super, decades later, until some of them couldn't. i.e. the voice actors for Master Roshi and Kaoi-sama.

The same thing happened on Jetsons: The Movie (1990). The original voice actors from the '60s provided the voices in the '80s episodes as well as the movie, but two of them died during the voice recording sessions for the movie, George O'Hanlon and Mel Blanc, due to old age. So other voice actors took over their parts.