NEW ONGOING TREK CROSSOVER SERIES BEGINS OCTOBER 2022

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Danlav05, Jul 21, 2022.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the second issue a bit more than the first.
    It was cool seeing Worf again, getting glimpses of Qo'noS and learning more about the mystery the crew was trying to solve. When it comes to the mystery it seems like an issue was skipped, and we missed out on something, but at the same time I was glad for the faster pace, and that it wasn't drawn out too long.

I'm liking Sisko and Data's relationship more, and I also liked how Sisko still hasn't warmed to Picard that much. I thought that the issue made good use of Sato, but really, they could've substituted Paris and Crusher for some other canon characters or original ones. That said, I did like how Crusher vouched for Data with Sisko. Outside of a nice call back to Kirk, I also felt that Scotty isn't really necessary for this story either.

I do have some complaints:

While Sisko and Worf are close, I never got the sense that Sisko considered Worf a brother. But I guess time with the Prophets has affected him emotionally in various ways. I did like learning more about Klingon politics, but don't get why Kahless was so disagreeable, that's not how he was on TNG (I know that was years ago, but he didn't strike me then as someone so obstinate. I think Martok might have worked better in this role). I did like how this issue gave an explanation for why Worf was back in Starfleet by the time of Nemesis.

2. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

No Jake, and you'd think he might have gone down to see Worf on Qonos, which leans into my Jake in Issue 1 was a hallucination.

DarKush likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worf looks nothing like Worf in Issue 2.

Markonian likes this.
  4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Agreed. The comics are well drawn and visually appealing. But Worf is unrecognisable.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sisko finally got his eyebrows back, at least. (Although they showed up in the middle of a scene?!)

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

the Prophets made a woopsy when they made him corporeal again.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

No Ezri?

8. Johnny Luck

Johnny Luck Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Issue 2 was decent, more building up of the god-killing mystery. Worf's tactics during the brief space battle were interesting.

But yeah, my biggest nitpick was that Worf just didn't resemble Worf all that much. Even Data looked a bit off during his monologue speech (which was still engaging).

Also, who needs a transporter room when you can just as easily beam off from the bridge apparently?

Markonian likes this.
  9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

106642226_10219636975087354_6729563819395936160_n.jpg
    Source

10. tenmei

Markonian likes this.
  11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Apparently Sisko's dad is dead in this continuity too. I wonder if he died before Sisko joined the Prophets?

12. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

The new IDW series looks so cool, here's a preview of #3 from trekmovie.com

[​IMG]

KennyMadison likes this.
  13. tenmei

So -

What is going on with T'Rel? Is he a Q or something other. Is he perhaps Q Junior, or could he be Trelane?

Rather enjoyed his friendship with Jake, though.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm now caught up on this. (Issue 2 was lost in a pile of unread comics. December was a weird month.)

I'm liking the episodic nature of this. The first issue is the pilot -- it introduces the players, the setting, and the situation. The second issue is a Klingon episode that relates back to the situation. The third issue is a Q story that only tangentially connects to the situation but gives room to do some character stuff. The three issues feel satisfying as issues in themselves.

I don't know how I feel about the metaplot at this point, which still feels very conceptual and amorphous rather than something concrete, and the cast I'm still not quite sold on, I see the potential, and how I ultimately feel will depend on the eventual payoff. I also want to see more new things (like Sarkadesh in issue #2) and less remixing of the past.

I quite liked the text page on Q in issue #3, and I liked the reveal that Picard, Janeway, and Sisko aren't the only 24th-century Starfleet captains Q has menaced.

I know that all sounds critical, but I have enjoyed this.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  15. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

Still waiting for second issue. About Issue #1 - enjoyed the story line so far, but
    Sisko gives so much attention to Jake, and none to Kasidy and Sarah - !

16. tenmei

I'm still hoping we get a schematic of the Bridge at some point

Admiral Rex likes this.
  17. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

18. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

19. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I did think that! Because of which characters they use both series are crossovers anyway.

plus the art from Defiant #1 is amazing

Jinn likes this.
  20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything about this looks and sounds amazing. But I do feel like Telepathy War is getting a raw deal. IDW did the same thing with Year Five though, claiming the end of the 5YM had never been told before.

Allyn Gibson likes this.