News New EW Issue Details Bryan Fuller’s DISCOVERY Departure

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Visitor1982, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that was the case then I wouldn't think they would have gone after him in the first place. I do understand them wanting to take a wait and see aproach and see if "Discovery" is a hit before going all in on the "American Horry Story" idea but I don't see why the felt they needed to rush the show. Their would always be a audience for it, whenever it came out.

Jason

Mordock likes this.
  2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

And season's 3 & 4 of ENT (with sails unfurled). ;)

Anyone know if "veteran procedural director", David Semel, directed the pilot? CBS wanting a director who has done procedurals seems pretty natural since they've had had so much success with those types of shows. However, I can't think of narrative style I like less for a Trek show. This seems like an example of a lack of understanding of Star Trek by the CBS brass.

I just hope the current show runners don't lose the importance of the concept of IDIC, to any Trek show. This is maybe the only canonical aspect of the franchise that if missing, would really piss me off. Fuller obviously got this, I just hope the current powers-that-be do as well.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. Mordock

Mordock Commander Red Shirt

I agree. I think it's a shame that Fuller couldn't see eye to eye with CBS; he's an unusual talent. But at the same time, the pitch as described in the article-multiple concurrent series in different eras and settings-strikes me as extremely difficult to implement; trying to use the same sort of approach as the prose novel range, but with significant entry costs that the novels don't have. I don't necessarily think less of CBS for focusing on launching a single show first.

cultcross and Mirror Mirror like this.
  4. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Might have been interesting. Especially if they added in the AHS bit about the same cast playing different parts in each era, though that would not have been necessary. Even if DiscoTrek succeeds, I doubt we will see any of that now. They would probably just greenlight season 2 of Disco rather than switch it up. Uncreative f'ers. Lol.

5. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I am glad he did not get his way really. what he wanted seems a good way to kill a show. Sure it can work, but I am not sure it can work with a sci-fi show. The cost would have been crazy and we are already up to 6 million or so a pop. I can see CBS not wanting to do such a thing and I think it was the right call.

6. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems Fuller wanted to make a Star Trek show. The network wanted Game of Thrones with Star Trek trapping. The network won.

BrazenFirefly likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems like an oversimplification.

8. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, since he mentions American Horror Story, I think his idea was to start each season in a new era, with the same actors playing new, different characters.... I wouldn't have liked the idea....

Relayer1 likes this.
  9. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay. I'm pretty comfortable with that.

10. Jayson1

Here is something I think about. Do you want a show by a guy who wants to make shows like "Pushing Daises", "Hannibal", "American Gods" or a show by people who want to run shows like "2 Broke GIrls" and "MacGyver?"

If this was HBO,AMC etc doing this I would be a little less concerned. I mean AMC ran Frank Darabount out with "Walking Dead" and that show still became a good show. Does CBS really deserve our trust? Also not sure why so much resistance to a "American Horror Story" type of series. We say we want something different and that has been the biggest defense of the new look but when it comes to story we want something more conservative?

Jason

galad2003 likes this.
  11. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jason, I see your point, but let me ask you: would you rather keep looking back and wonder about the show 'that could have been' or look foreward to the show we're getting?

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The showrunners of 2 Broke Girls and MacGyver aren't involved and the people who run Discovery have worked with Fuller on several projects so they may have similar sensibilities.

It became a successful show, not a good one, it's objectively awful. The writers only have material for 3 or 4 episodes each season and in between those the show treats water, focuses on characters nobody gives a shit about while sidelining the interesting ones.

Yes! The first All Access show was The Good Fight and it was good.

777 likes this.
  13. Jayson1

I am looking forward. I like what we have seen for the most part. All I am saying is this new info creates a little doubt. Not ready to give into it though.

Jason

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming that DSC season 2 will start a new 15(or whatever)- part story featuring the survivors of season one and a bunch of new characters.

It won't be an anthology show but self-contained season-long arcs with a mostly ongoing cast (but where anyone can die) in a rebooted Trek universe (this ain't TOS, and this confirms deliberately so) is something I'm looking forward to.

15. Jayson1

Haven't seen "The Good Wife" so I can't comment on it. I think "Walking Dead" though has been a very good for the most part until last season were it felt to drag after a great season opener.

The big issue though isn't whether or not CBS can make a great show from time to time but the fact that they don't make great shows on a regular basis and never do it with genre shows. Even "Supergirl" got shoved over to CW where it ended up even becoming a better show.

As for the new show runners I don't doubt their talent but I wonder if they have the pull to stop any network interference that might not be the best thing for the show.

Jason

16. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh...

17. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Looks like the midnight edge vid from months ago nailed it. In their most recent one they are saying Nick Meyer is being tasked with a new series that will be on CW not connected with Discovery. Discovery looks like a disaster. I can't imagine paying for it as Trek fan. And that's sad for me to say but I can't do it. If it were available on CBS or CW I would probably still watch it but buying CBS AA just doesn't seem worth it based on previews and info coming out.

18. Jayson1

I wonder what a CW Trek show would look like. I suspect a very young cast surrounded by a couple of older career character actors. Was Meyer ever connected to that Starfleet Academy idea by Harve Bennett all those years ago?

Jason

19. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Already a second show in development? For the 2018/2019 season on CW?

20. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Sounds like it's real early in development. Good news about Discovery is CBS basically doesn't have any money in it. Basically it's all being paid for by Netflix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.