New Classic Who Blu-Ray Sets (2021 edition)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Nightowl1701, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Like who? Pretty much everyone is dead.

2. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

From Season 7, I think it's pretty much just Christopher Benjamin, and he's 89.

3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Bound to be someone. My knowledge is not exhaustive for guest actors from before I was born. John Levene can cover Pertwee era, not so much the Tom Baker era. Could fudge continuity have have Lalla and John do seasons they weren’t in at a push. Surprised they didn’t try them for a Tardis Tales. But guest stars? Not my era. Bound to be one or two, and a lot of imagination.

Edit: and to stretch it a little further, have Susan tracking her grandfather through time and space on a time-space visualiser, and get Carole Anne Ford in.

JRob94 likes this.
  4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

The problem with getting Lalla on screen is that she lives in Hong Kong now.

5. Tomalak

I mean, this is exactly the problem. Once you’re scraping the barrel to find someone still capable of appearing on camera, you’ve made a rod for your own back and might not be doing something creatively fulfilling.

Pete is right to manage expectations. Some seasons will inevitably have to take a different approach, and that’s absolutely fine.

6. jaime

She got an iPhone? XD

7. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I read that I envisaged Julian Glove as Captain Tankreti in City of Death episode 3 'You can write can't you?'.

jaime likes this.
  8. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

If only someone could invent some kind of machine that is able to transport people long distances in a reasonable period of time.

Like, image if you could get on some kind of machine in Hong Kong, and then maybe fly (for example), very fast, through the air, and arrive in the UK the VERY SAME DAY!

It would be game-changing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Haggis and tatties and jaime like this.
  9. Tomalak

Perhaps she's just not interested?

Qonundrum likes this.
  10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Or, and hear me out before you poo poo the idea, some kind of way to film something in another country with local people and equipment, then sending that film via some kind of digital format through some kind of world wide network to the country were the studio actually is, hence even doing away with sending people and equipment on those machines that travel long distances you spoke of. :p

Chaos Descending likes this.
  11. jaime

What if she needs a costume? If only there was some kind of cheap textile industry where she is, with experience in costuming…

12. Chaos Descending

How would we know unless she's been asked? And what does "She lives in Hong Kong" have to do with "She's not interested"?

13. Chaos Descending

YOU! ARE! JUST! MAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD!!! A MAD MAN YOU ARE!

jaime and Haggis and tatties like this.
  14. Tomalak

How do we know she hasn't been asked?

All I'm saying is that yes, it's only a flight away, but it may be that she simply isn't interested so it doesn't matter where she lives.

I believe they banked interview material with her before she left, and she only has one story unreleased anyway, not even as Romana.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Cute jokes aside, the point is that any workaround for the fact that Ward lives in Hong Kong is an additional expense for a low-budget, low-return project— “made for 20 quid and a ham sandwich,” as McTighe joked recently.

That doesn’t mean she won’t make one— maybe she’s filmed something already, maybe they’ll catch her on a visit to the UK— but her living halfway around the world isn’t actually a trivial obstacle for a project like this.

VDCNI, ATimson, JRob94 and 1 other person like this.