New Borg Origin Theory?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by KamenRiderBlade, Nov 21, 2019.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

One thing seems fairly clear. For most of their history they seemed content to stay in their part of the galaxy and not expand too far. Every time they got disturbed they swarmed like angry bees and went on a threat elimination spree. Q is a butthole.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or then not; "Dark Frontier" and "Child's Play" offer alternate takes on the Borg, not as conquerors, but as super-secretive meddlers who are everywhere and yet nowhere. And might have been already those "thousands of centuries" ago that Guinan speaks of.

"Dragon's Teeth" suggests the Borg have expanded to the neighborhood. Yet they have not taken control of the neighborhood: they just pick a few worlds, for whatever reason, and leave it at that.

Timo Saloniemi

somebuddyx likes this.
  3. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well an origin of:
    An alien speices gets more technological, and one day, they break the machine/man interface wall, where you can put a chip into your head and control, your microwave, write a text, etc. with just your thoughts. Things go well for awhile, most people on the planet get the interface, or a good chunck of the populace.
    Then you either have a government, not necissaraly a "World government" but maybe one of those tin pot dictators that don't like free speech stuff, that turns the chip to a mind control type, where they like the dictator, or vote "the right way" or think the right way..
    Or some jackwagon tries to break into the chip via a virus or some other thing to get files, memeorys etc, and he screws up and makes the chip a control chip, in that the chip is now in control, from maybe a central location via wifi or something..

So you have a percentage of the popluace that is now in control via there brain chip, and then they see the other populace as people to be absorbed in to the "collective" and it gets out of control of the hacker/despot/government and it ends up the hole population is "One of Us" and they steadaly progress to space, then conquor.

Or it may be something that the people willingly did it, to hear others thoughts, or to connect to each other, and it went to far.

Markonian likes this.
  4. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

As I mentioned in another recent discussion about the Borg, somewhere I read the hypothesis that "Borg" could be a phenomenon that ebbs and flows throughout galactic history, rather than one singular "species" with an unbroken continuity. So there could have been multiple "origins" for the Borg over the past thousands of years, and none of them contradict each other. That might have been from a TrekLit book.

I kind of like the one from the Tokyopop TOS manga where Kirk fights some cyberpunk people and kicks them back in time thousands of years, and their leader becomes the Borg Queen (that's an oversimplification of the plot, and I might be remembering some details wrong).

Kor

Markonian, XCV330 and Tim Zombieson like this.
  5. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Its actually a pretty good, thoughtful video with some interesting logic. Thank you OP!

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^this

And from a far away sector of the galaxy (if not beyond, which was a missed opportunity) to help retain the mystery and intrigue.

7. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's undeniably clever and creative, but it's not perfect and also smells of "small universe syndrome", a trope where characters are established but later given origins that came from a disparate, already-told source. Why not say the Horta had a (hand) in the creation of the Borg? Or Dr Daystrom escaped the psychiatric facility, flew off in a ship unauthorized, stowed away in a time machine, went back in time to a far off reach of the galaxy beyond, and created the first computer to help the species to become the Borg's own "Patient-Zero", so to speak. It's just as dumb. At least fried egg plastic yolk single cell gestalt things and the Borg's original species were said to be from far across the galaxy...

somebuddyx likes this.
  8. valkyrie013

Thats why I was cringing when people were saying Control was going to be the borg.. Humans arn't the center of the universe and shouldn't have a hand in creating the borg..
    That being said.. Destiny novels.. we were responsible mostly.. so i'm totoally a hypocrite!!

9. Jirin Actin Kinda Sus

Jirin Actin Kinda Sus Admiral Admiral

It's possible the Borg did exist for thousands of years but didn't start rapidly expanding until a couple hundred years ago.

In my imagination their origin has always been some kind of out of control lifestyle improvement, like they were selling technological implants to improve your health, strength, etc that were controlled by an AI and the AI got out of control.

Blooded likes this.
  10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps there were factors that spurred their expansion of which we're unaware?

11. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The part of the Borg Origin Story that is consistent with existing Canon is that they originate from the Delta Quadrant and have been around for over 900+ years. Which means we Humans aren't responsible for the Borg coming into existence =D.

We Humans aren't to blame for them existing.

12. Dr. San Guinary

Dr. San Guinary Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    No, we weren't.

The first drones may have been human, but that doesn't mean it's humans' fault that the Borg came into existence.

If any race deserves blame in this, it's the Caeliar, since it was one of them who actually "created" the Borg collective.

Markonian likes this.
  13. Shawnster

Shawnster Commodore Commodore

I remember early Voyager episodes implied that the origin may have been a species enhancing their prosthetics. Augmenting themselves to overcome disabilities or missing limbs, blindness, etc.. Benevolent origins that ran amok

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that it was humans who precipitated the situation that led to the Caeliar diaster that caused one of them to create the failed merging that led to the Borg.

Wow, that was a mouthful!

Nyotarules likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That wasn't humans.

That was Canadians.

16. valkyrie013

Canadian's Eh?

F. King Daniel likes this.
  17. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

It could be that the Borg are thousands of centuries old, their progenitor species even older than that, but the ruthless expansion and focus on assimilation could be more recent.

If they wanted to do a canon "origin story" for the Borg, I think I'd enjoy it best if they left the actual origins of the species a mystery, and focused on the tipping point where they became a threat to the entire galaxy.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  18. somebuddyx

somebuddyx Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was clear how the Borg started. Airiam's body drifted through space into the Barzan wormhole and her body was dumped on the machine planet from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The machines revived her and enhanced her with self-rebuilding nanoprobes. Crewman Daniels showed up to stop her and tried to contain her using the Bajoran Orb of Time but she assimilated him and both were transported back in time hundreds of years. They materialised in the corona of a star and were immediately killed. The Borg were then created on some other unrelated planet.

Ricky Spanish and ScottJ85 like this.
  19. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

That would make a lot of people very angry and therefore it is now canon.

20. Takeboo

Takeboo Takeru - Space Police Premium Member

Trek Lit isn't canon, that never happened in Star Trek's actual continuity.