New blurbs - Typhon Pact, SCE, MyU, NF; plus Haynes details!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Apr 21, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if perhaps Kira left Starfleet order to more fully accept her role as Hand of The Prophets. Maybe some happened that lead Kira to belive she couldn't fulfull that destiny if she was still a Starfleet Captain.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Interesting theory. I hope that it will all tie in like that. The summary talks about Sisko and the Prophets in a way that makes me wonder if Sisko's story will also ultimately be tied in to the Ascendants thing and the Soul Key cliffhanger as well.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell in STO Martok's son Drex is the head of the House of Martok where as in the books Drex was killed recently.

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something occurred to me last night, regarding the DS9 book.

We already know that Dax has left DS9 at this point, becuase obviously she's in command of the Aventine.

David Mack already said that Bajor was not involved in the Borg Invasion (outside the range that they reached), so for Vaughn to be injured in the Borg Invasion, he must not have been anywhere near Bajor.

Kira's left Starfleet and is back on Bajor. And the blurb seemed to imply that Sisko is only just coming back to Starfleet now, rather it being a long-since-done deal.

So who the hell is in command of DS9? Ro? Nog? total stranger?

BTW, I think that Sisko coming back to Starfleet if he lost his family is entirely believable. What else does he have in his life?

Having just seen this:

Does that mean that what's described in the original blurb is actually not the case anymore then? Or just that they didn't want it released yet?

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't mean that the blurb was inaccurate; instead, it suggests to me that one of S&S's marketing monkeys let the blurb out early by accident. (Being a marketing monkey myself, albeit a writing one, I've witnessed this sort of thing happen before, I've been on the frontlines when it does, and I've the scars to prove it.) It's probably in the ballpark of what the book will be.

6. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I now only have my imperfect memory of the blurb to go on, but was there anything to suggest Sisko wouldn't be back in command of DS9?

If not, then wouldn't the most straight-forward answer be that Kira turned command of the station back over to Sisko when he rejoined Starfleet? That would imply that Kira had only just returned to Bajor, but I think the wording of the blurb allowed for that possibility. Vaugh probably took the Defiant into the warzone during the borg invasion. For whatever reason, Kira hasn't really been written as Captain of the Defiant as well as the station, though Sisko certainly was.

At any rate, I'm definitely looking forward to this book. There's also the little matter of Odo and the whole Dominion storyline from Worlds. Nothing about that in the blurb, but it's another major loose end that will probably need to tie in at some point.

7. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

No idea, but we got an official request to have it removed because it was posted to their site by mistake, so we removed it.

8. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But, unless it's a different one, it's still on their site. :confused:

9. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Heh and we heard about that too... apparently it was in two places, one of them was removed but the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly and that one should be getting removed soon too.

I don't know what's going on. :shrug:

10. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

The Defiant could easily have been one of the ships with the fleet at the Azure Nebula that the Borg crashed through when they came in force.

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a point. In which case, it would now be gone. :( Again. :lol:

12. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Maybe. Or maybe it just got very heavily damaged liked Voyager did.

13. Deranged Nasat

I may be wrong, but I'm sure it said Voyager was the only Starfleet ship to survive intact. I think it mentioned a handful of other survivors, but I assumed those were Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, or whatever...

14. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Possibly. There was a lot of ships there though, wouldnt be the biggest retcon ever to have it have been there and not completely destroyed. I mean there has to have been more ships than just Voyager that survived intact enough, at least in sections, to have some survivors around.

ETA: Or thinking about it, maybe the Defiant was part of the fleet defending Andor. That ties in with characters from the DS9 relaunch, and might be closer to DS9 than the nebula was.

15. Deranged Nasat

Yeah, that's true.

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I didn't really use the FASA manual for the Kinshaya when I was writing A Singular Destiny. I did read that, and rejected it as less than useful for the purposes I needed the Kinshaya to serve in the novel. :)

17. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was going to link to it but didn't know if that would be an issue. Either way, I copied the blurb and tucked it away, just in case... :whistle:

18. David R. George III

David R. George III Writer Fleet Captain

I don't have any idea of the origin of that blurb, or upon what the author based it. I do know that the cover copy for the novel has been written, and it should be up shortly.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Hm. So it was inaccurate then?

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

only three ships survived intact, Voyager, Antietam and the IKS Chorbog.