New blurbs - Typhon Pact, SCE, MyU, NF; plus Haynes details!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, there's one blurb that describes a fairly direct Starfleet/Pact conflict, though espionage-oriented rather than combat-oriented, a very Cold War type of scenario. Another is about Starfleet and the Gorn pursuing the same technology, without specifying whether they come into conflict over it; if anything, the blurb suggests that the danger comes more from the technology than from the Gorn. And the third blurb sounds like it's more about conflict between the two Romulan powers with their respective allies playing a less direct role. So I think the blurbs support the point I've been making that there are multiple potentials in the Typhon Pact scenario, multiple different kinds of political dynamics to be explored. I never said the Pact wasn't an adversary, just that there are many kinds of international rivalry other than warfare.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I'm looking forward to the Aventine book now even more than I was. Not certain about a lot of the DS9 stuff though, seems like a lot of big changes from the setting of the last books. Have to see what it's like.

3. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its been a long time since I was floored by a blurb, but Rough Beasts of Empire has done just that. It definitely seems to be the Typhon Pact novel to watch.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Are the Typhon Pact books here yet?

Are they here yet?

How about now?

Now?

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I think it's funny that so many fans are so intent on making judgments about the books months and months before they'll have the opportunity to read them.

So we all get a good laugh, eh?

6. Ferd Burfel

Ferd Burfel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm with Leisner. I find it funny that the authors (and many others who have no "fore knowledge") keep saying that The Typhon Pact won't be an adversary in terms of combat, yet people keep trying to take things out of context to "prove them wrong".

No one has said that wouldn't be an adversary. What everyone has been saying (at least everything I have read) is that this isn't another Borg conflict or Dominion War. I've seen the Cold War analogy thrown around TONS of times. Espionage. Technological one-upmanship. Having to deal with an ally who is at odds with another power. I must be missing the part where we're gathering a fleet for an invasion.

7. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

On the other hand, it provides no end of amusement for me, so it's all good :)

8. Ferd Burfel

Ferd Burfel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:lol:

It just makes me feel like I'm at work, even after I leave...

And getting back on topic. I must admit I do not like that blurb about the DS9 changes, but it certainly has succeeded in making me want to read it! Let's just go ahead and move these releases it. Make it so.

9. ProwlAlpha

ProwlAlpha Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hopefully, the Haynes manual will add more to what we know about the Enterprise(s) than just a summary of stuff from the shows.

10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zero sum game Is a story I've been waiting for along time to see Bashir get back in the spy game with Sarina this one sounds really exciting! So does Rough beasts of the Empire.:techman:The Typhon pact sound like a great miniseries.

11. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Really?

Beyond the poor quality of that graphic, there have been much better versions done (like the version put together by aridas sofia a couple years ago). Quite frankly, I'd have a hard time spending money on anything put together by Drexler after the DS9 manual.

But he is a great CGI and makeup artist! :techman:

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to the Myriad Universes, Typhon Pact and the Haynes Manual. I'm curious as to what they mean by a re-interpreted 2009 JJ Enterprise. I was really looking forward to the ship we saw in the movie. I'm happy though this book is including all the Prime Universe Enterprise's as well. I can't wait to see the NX and E. Must buy book!

13. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

aaaah! My eyes! My eyes! I just started reading DS9-R!!!

14. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

Overall, the blurbs sound interesting.
    However, if these are the only star trek books to be published in half a year, they are far too few - especially considering that 2 are merely SCE compiations.

About DS9 - Sisko's development seems to be a reset to the beginning of DS9 (broken man comes to DS9 to heal); this strikes me as...uninspired.

15. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

How much of the background of the Kinshaya will be taken from the FASA manual? I just re-read the blurb there and they sure don't sound like they'd be much of a joiner.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As I read it, they mean that the book features the original NCC-1701, and that ship was reinterpreted by the Abrams movie. It doesn't seem as if the book will feature the Abrams Enterprise after all, or else it would've had that on the cover for sure. But they're saying to those new fans brought in by the movie, "Hey, here's the ship that was the inspiration for the one in the movie!"

17. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Very nice! My anticipation for the Typhon Pact series grows larger with each bit of news! Very interesting changes to DS9 (hope Vaughn pulls through!). Can't wait to have these on my shelf. :techman:

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

There's also Vangaurd: Declassified and Davis Mack mentioned that he signed the contract to write Rise like Lions. So there's that too.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I'm not mistaken he was mainly talking about the second half of 2010, and those two aren't out till late 2011 I would guess.

20. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

There were supposed to be four Abramsverse books, remember, but they were cancelled at the last minute. The middle of this year wasn't intended to be quite so blank originally.