News Netflix orders series ‘Another Life’ Starring Katee Sackhoff

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, May 1, 2018.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Read an article the other day, saying that they've plateaued slightly in the USA subscribers, but the International suscribership is still rocketing. Also read that by 2021 they'll have enough suscribers to be solvent, basically.. by 2021 it looks to start making money!
    Same article said that with Verizon Giving away Disney + and Apple Giving away Apple tv for device buyers.. that now that Millions of people have it for free for the year, that netflix will benifit because.. They can still pay for netflix and don't have to choose!!
    So don't set fire to netflix in a viking funeral just yet.. :)

Admiral2 likes this.
  2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am just watching the second season of this series. It looks like everyone else has given up on it. Admittedly, I only watched the first season last winter. I think the problem I had with the first season is that I went into the series expecting something more in the style of an Arthur C Clarke story--maybe not "hard sci fi" but where humans didn't have the level of technology that they do on the series. Once I bought in to what the series was, it became more enjoyable.

The second season of the series is really well done, setting up a set of mysteries and plot lines that really grabbed me. It moved the story forward and created a more intricate plot than I had been expecting after watching the first season.

Is anyone else still watching?

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I ended up liking the second series far more then the first one and wished this is how that one was done. It was miles better.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I actually liked the first season despite its problems, as I felt it got better as it went along. But I couldn't stand the second season. It never grabbed me. Made me realize that I'd been watching for the sake of watching. Much rather we'd gotten more of Away, Hilary Swank's series, than more of this.

5. Gingerbread Demon

I do love how everyone has so many different opinions on this one. While others didn't like season 2 I did and vice versa. Is there any talk of another or is that it?

6. theenglish

I think my biggest problem with season 1 was overcoming my expectations. I was expecting more hard SF, but once I accepted the show on its own terms it grew on me.

I did like how they really incorporated a diverse set of characters with lots of representation, but I didn't really like some of the personalities. All those characters I didn't like were written out of the series for season 2 and they kept the ones I do like.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the biggest hurdle was overcoming how rough and aggressive the characters were in the first few episodes. But it got better. I think my disappointment in season 2 stems from the fact that it felt like the characters didn't grow. It felt too much like they were in the beginning, and there was something about the characters that I felt was grating. And the more I watched it, the more I realized this similar scenario was done better, like in Away for instance.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I refuse to watch Season 2 until it's been renewed. I just watched S1 out of habit.

9. theenglish

I just finished the series, and it is a complete story. There is no indication that another season is set up.

I am pleased that I watched the second season--there is not much more character development because, looking at the two seasons together, the development was done in the first season and the second season was dedicated to the story. I enjoyed it overall and may spend some time watching through it again--the acting was great and the story holds together nicely. I am sure that some would like more world building and more answers regarding the motivations and history but there is enough in the two seasons to make assumptions about what has happened.

We've seen this before in other series, but unless we have a third season the Achaia are computerized remnants of a once organic civilization that are intent on spreading their digital perfection throughout the galaxy or universe. They are basically the Replicators from Stargate or the the Borg from Trek.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Or the robots from LIS

theenglish likes this.
  11. theenglish

Haven't seen season 3 yet; that's up next.

12. Gingerbread Demon

It's good you will enjoy it. Or you won't
    Schrodinger's opinion haha

13. theenglish

My kids watched it on a Saturday when it was released. I think the second season they binged in a day too.

14. Gingerbread Demon

LIS production values are really high. It did look impressive

La Brea is being heavily promoted here. I'm intrigued by this one. Like a live action Valley Of The Dinosaurs.. Used to love that cartoon